Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 03:42 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
As far as the ancestry stuff I've never understood it. Randomly going back x amount of years to "see what you are" is kind of narcissistic/self-important.
Or you know, just curious, interested in history and what parts your family might have played.
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I don't understand why people who don't research take the tests.
I would be someone who might do that. My coloring and family name suggest a lot of Irish. Family lore says southern sharecroppers who lived and mixed with slaves. While I'm not curious enough to go through the time and effort to verify the facts through a lot of research, a quick DNA test to tell me how much of that might be true would be interesting to me.
The results however would not change anything for me personally, they don't affect my life in any meaningful way.
I think it's pretty silly to feel ashamed because your family stories might be wrong or because your racial makeup isn't what you thought it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 04:31 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
What part? (Joke just for you, we need a little levity around here at times.)

Seriously though. Imagine some white looking guy finding out he's 1/4 black but doesn't look black at all writing an article ranting about how this is really hard to stomach and upsetting etc. etc.

The writers comments are clearly hateful and racist, no free pass because she can hold up a Sherwin Williams paint strip and declare her "ethnicity".
Lol @ the joke! Any part you want...but be careful which part you ask for!

In any case, she just got disabused of her lifelong notions. Whaddya expect? Like another poster pointed out, black people wanna be black...ALL Black if possible just like other people wanna be what they are. Not too many white folks would do cartwheels after finding out that they're really a third black..

Yeah, I know many white posters CLAIM that it would be no big deal, but that's easy to say when you can be assured that you are who you've always been told you are. Try being so smug however when things are quite a bit more nebulous. Identity is important to people.

Don't know what's so hard about this fact that seems to go over the heads of some really smart posters.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:28 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

In any case, she just got disabused of her lifelong notions. Whaddya expect? Like another poster pointed out, black people wanna be black...ALL Black if possible just like other people wanna be what they are. Not too many white folks would do cartwheels after finding out that they're really a third black..

Yeah, I know many white posters CLAIM that it would be no big deal, but that's easy to say when you can be assured that you are who you've always been told you are. Try being so smug however when things are quite a bit more nebulous. Identity is important to people.

Don't know what's so hard about this fact that seems to go over the heads of some really smart posters.
I think it would be surprising or briefly "upsetting" in a sense only because you would feel as if your whole life was a lie, but I wouldn't be ashamed and in the end, it wouldn't change anything and it's not a big deal. She'll see it as time goes on and the shock at her family being wrong wears off. It's sad she feels her identity is now different. SHE is the same person. She was 31% white the whole time, she just didn't know it. Nothing about her has changed.

I actually sent in a 23andme sample and am waiting on my results. One reason I did it was to see if there's anything my family has been wrong about. I'm fully prepared for being told I'm part another race, if that's the case. I wouldn't mind a bit, I think it would be pretty cool.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:00 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:

It really is not that important to some people. Identity means something bigger and a lot more personal than racial makeup. Identity politics as made a hot mess of us and caused irrational divisions, it isn't a good thing.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:02 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It really is not that important to some people. Identity means something bigger and a lot more personal than racial makeup. Identity politics as made a hot mess of us and caused irrational divisions, it isn't a good thing.
Thanks for putting this so much better than I did. It's what I was trying to get across.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:24 PM

21,478 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
If I found out some of my ancestors had gotten raped by members of a Native American tribe, and I'd formerly assumed a great, great, great, great, great grandmother of mine had instead been in a loving marriage with a Native American man, I could see that as upsetting.

Of course, the more white DNA she had, the more likely something like that basically happened, just replace Native Americans with Caucasian slave owners.

However, like I'd mentioned in a prior post, the article could have been written in a way that's far less irritating. She could have made it relatable to anyone. She could have gone into detail about why she felt ashamed, and it would have been more embarrassing, but it could have been a great article. Instead she just slapped down, "Dur...I hates myself now because I'm part white, ya'll." Someone needed to tell her DO NOT PUBLISH THIS TRAIN WRECK.

Maybe she needed to think more about her writing more too, and then maybe she'd come to the conclusion that there was no reason to feel ashamed of her white ancestry. I would have liked if her conclusion was about how she'd lost nothing, how she was still just as black as she'd ever been, because she still grew up with the same people, in the same community, with the same culture. I want an article that explains how who we are is more than our genetics, or something like that. Instead, we get a writer who sounds like a hick, just a shallow hick who creates meaningless ties to people she's never met because she has some fantasy about her heritage, as if her ancestry means more than the people around her now.

Or, maybe it's just clickbait.
Why? I'm quite sure I have ancestors who were raped, tortured, murdered, or had some brutality forced upon them. The past was pretty violent. But I didn't know them.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:51 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:

Dude. At this point, I know who I am regardless of others views and if it turned out my genetics were 25% black you know what I'd do? I'd call up my kids in college and tell them they just won around 20k each or more in additional scholarships.

I have many friends that are 1/4 this or that...opens up huge scholarships for the kids. It's actually a known concern, read an article a while back talking about how black Africans were sucking up tons of scholarship slots in the US or at least counting as diversity in programs where they'd grown up in countries where they were majorities.

It's not either of our problems what complexion people want to have, I'm just not going to support anyone having a hissy fit as an adult when they find out their genetics are a certain way. That's their business of course...until they start writing articles complaining about having mixed-race heritage.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:58 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,353,710 times
Quote:

I think they'd be more likely to brag about it because it would make them seem exotic, just like everybody does about their Native American blood, regardless of whether they're 1/3 Cherokee or 1/52nd.

I've never met a single person who wouldn't have an enormous amount of disdain for anyone who was depressed by having some unsuspected ancestry. That said, almost everyone I know is white. I could see it being a possible black culture-thing if black people care about their ancestry more than white people. I could see having a great deal of disdain for too much caring about history being a surburban, midwestern white person thing.

The way stuff evolved, black racial patriotism evolved as a defensive thing. White racial patriotism evolved as a an aggressive, hostile thing. It makes sense that black people now would be taught by their parents and society to view paying attention to the past positively, while white people from my area associate it with racism.

In either case though, I classify anyone who wants to be all genetically black or white as an ignorant hick If that's part of black culture...we need to get to work on destroying that as fast as possible Not all culture is good, and that's definitely not a good part. I intend to make fun of it, because I see it as one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

Quote:
Yeah, I know many white posters CLAIM that it would be no big deal, but that's easy to say when you can be assured that you are who you've always been told you are. Try being so smug however when things are quite a bit more nebulous. Identity is important to people, or at least insulting people with that mentality/making fun of them/etc.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:59 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Why? I'm quite sure I have ancestors who were raped, tortured, murdered, or had some brutality forced upon them. The past was pretty violent. But I didn't know them.
This thread is the playground of the historically ignorant.

I can't really name a race or genetic group with a moral high-ground on this one.

People were massive a-holes, some were better armed than others.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:40 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,558 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post

Of all the emotions which materialized from the results, the two strongest were disorient and shame. I thought the results would simply confirm what I was told by my family; instead they discredited their allegations.[/i]

Just look at that, doesn't that sound like she's trying very hard to annoy people? It could be a nice attention-getter if she'd included a conclusion that specified that her shame came from her mistaken view of history, but she never clarified that. By the end of the article, we have no reason to believe she's just not upset about her white DNA.
Again, I read the same article you did and came to an entirely different conclusion.

My guess is most came in reading this article as political, as another version of Rachel Dozel instead of an someone finding out their ancestry wasnt what they thought it was.

You said you need confirmation of her reasoning, when in fact the very sentence you quoted is that. The bold is your confirmation and she went into more detail in later paragraphs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies