Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 11:44 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I wonder who wrote the speech. Bannon? I think Pence.

But at least he's better at reading tonight and someone must have TOLD him to read, not crazy ranting.

Trump writes his own speeches.
This one just like inauguration day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 11:49 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Whats so great about big business bribing politicians to get their way at the expense of the people? I dont get it.

Expose it and the corruption.... I will be right there with you, but to throw a blanket over all politicians and businesses, is lying to me and lying about me.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:49 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
I was a strong opponent of Trump. I held my nose to vote for him because only an idiot would want Hillary to win.

So.. what did I get? So far, not too bad. I always said if he made me a liar, I would own it and accept it. So far, I am looking a bit sheepish in what I expected from him, but I will measure him fully at the end of his term.

Now don't get me wrong, I do not wave the Trump flag like an idiot. He has some major problems in trade (Tariffs are a massive mistake) and his reflectance to go after the dreamers has me irritated. Add in his focus on "infrastructure spending" and I have a headache as he sounds like a progressive on those fronts.

Trump is a "wait and see" president, much better than the known communist sympathizer and subverter Obama was. While I do not bow at his feet, I can "accept" him so far, and disagree with certain aspects

If that is unreasonable, then my argument is anyone who would claim such is not truly American.
What's wrong with infrastructure spending? We need it, and it's the government's job. I have no problem with fixing our aging infrastructure.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:03 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,279,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Liberals favorite cliche, the "military industrial complex."
Don't forget about "donor class," "puppets," and "fat cat."

According to the search I just did, PCALMIKE has used the word "donor" in 691 posts and the word "puppet" in 165 posts.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:03 PM

14,956 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Understood and thanks again.

Here's what I was hearing:

Yup that ‘White House official’ source for amnesty rumor is TRUMP HIMSELF – The Right Scoop

I thought this comment on that article was interesting:I need to do a lot more digging and reading and listening, just swamped with other things.
I'm under the impression that the amnesty issue is far from a done deal at this point, too many details, practicalities, irons in the fire so to speak to work out to just make a blanket policy, or even a one size-fits-all statement. I'm not so sure Trump is clear on how he stands on the issue either, but from statements he's made here and there, it wouldn't surprise me to see the immigration policies looking something like this: 1) Better border control (with the wall at strategic locations on the borders), more ICE border agents who are allowed to enforce the immigration laws in place-this hopefully to stem the tide of illegal aliens coming over the borders, 2) for those already in the US illegally, emphasis on deporting those with criminal records or as has been mentioned those found to have defrauded our entitlement programs. I don't think the policies would include deporting that many, if any of the "dreamers", or even illegals who have been in the country for years, working, paying taxes and generally contributing to the country and communities in which they live. This I base on several comments Trump has reportedly made about the "dreamers" having grown up in the US, one can't just throw them out, and his deferral of any policies regarding the DACA in any immigration policy, as he believes them to be a special case; and a mention I heard Trump make regarding those who have lived and worked in the US a long time, "maybe we could do so something for them".

Anyway, FWIW, that's my take on it. I guess we will see.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:11 PM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Yup. It's like the F student in class who gives a C+ presentation. People are stunned, they clap, cheer, give encouragement, are happy for him ... but at the end of the day it's still C+ work.
I started reading this thread from the beginning this morning, but already too many comments and too little time to read all of them. Those comments I did read by those who's names I recognize, nothing I read is other than as entirely predictable for those people, down the line.

So I've gone to the end of the thread, and maybe I can surprise a person or two who recognizes my name, because I'm no supporter of Trump, but I too thought he picked up his game a fair bit last night...

Thank goodness, because I was beginning to think he was only going to make matters worse rather than better with every appearance he made. Fortunately, he surprised me a bit last night with a bit more positive and less extremism related to all things so horrible in America before he came along. A bit better poise and temperament and a little less embarrassing bravado, alternative facts, and all that about his favorite targets AKA "enemies of the people."

Even Trump supporters have got to be a little relieved by those attitude adjustments though not likely to admit it, much like parents are relieved when their child finally stops acting immature over time...

However, as the comment quoted above also notes, doing better than before is hardly doing great, and of course who was clapping and why, who comments for or against in this thread and why, is as always more about one's predispositions and political ideology rather than substance. Especially when we're so short of substance offered in these speeches, we're all the more free to run with our predispositions and political biases to guide our conclusions one way or the other.

Accordingly, you might rank Trump's speech much like student's are graded in class, on a curve. Say for example for the 30 to 40 percent who are for Trump. Grade is an A+ (of course).

For the 40 to 50 percent who feel Trump is the manifestation of all things wrong with too many Americans, maybe Trump gets a D.

For the other 10 to 30 percent who like to straddle the middle, "fence sitters" and/or political side-liners not really sure about their left vs their right, maybe a C, since they're all over the board when it comes to how they grade.

So according to this most scientifically sound manner in which to accurately quantify the quality of Trump's speech last night, he clearly earned a 2.8 or D+.

With regard to actual substance, probably not as well, but that I heard about allowing people with pre-existing conditions to maintain their health care coverage was truly a novel idea. I wonder how that can even be made possible?!?

Old 03-01-2017, 12:15 PM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Yeah, great idea. Let's put another say-anything-politician in there.
I think we did, again, right?

Because if Trump hasn't proven himself one to say anything, regardless the truth or facts, to get the support from his followers he knows is there to be had, I don't know what politician has done better (or worse) depending on how you like what you are hearing...

I mean right?

How many times has Trump bent the truth? Let me count the ways...

Old 03-01-2017, 12:17 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Don't forget about "donor class," "puppets," and "fat cat."

According to the search I just did, PCALMIKE has used the word "donor" in 691 posts and the word "puppet" in 165 posts.
Haha. Nice work, Nepenthe. Those buzz phrases are like nails on a chalkboard to me after reading them over and over and over again here.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:17 PM

9,727 posts, read 14,271,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I don't care if I am a lone wolf, I know what I've seen from him. A tiger never changes his stripes. He's still a snake who is no better than Hillary, if not worse. In fact he is wired because he is do asI say, not as I do with a proven track record of just that. I hope I am wrong but I fear that I am right that Trump will ruin America.
I guess you've been missing President Trump's accomplishments. Here's just the most recent:

Coal mining begins seeing revival as Trump gives industry hope | Fox News

Old 03-01-2017, 12:20 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,169,514 times
Well, tRump has learned to "sound presidential" for at least a day. Shame his policies don't match what he said last night.

Donald Trump's Actual Policies Contradict His Joint Session Speech | The Huffington Post

"key assertions Trump made were patently false. America is neither crime-infested nor still mired in a recession, as he portrayed. Moreover, some of his bold rhetoric on issues like the environment, immigration, civil rights, women’s rights and child care are directly undercut by the policies he has pursued or promised to pursue since taking office on Jan. 20."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies