Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2017, 05:08 PM

27,156 posts, read 15,330,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Trump pulled the cover off the media -- they've been exposed for the democrat party shills they are.
It looks like they are backing down and perhaps will now start acting like actual journalists.

Trust, mine at least, is forever gone for the media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
He talked a big game last night. He needs to back it up. Massive tax breaks isn't getting the struggling American a new job. Bank and Oil stocks can go through the roof but it means nothing to the average working class person.

Yeah, Obama did not get that.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Trump had a great speech and, especially the liberal aspect of the Democratic Congress; is in peril of going the way of the dinosaur. Like the Pelosi suffragettes, sitting in the audience like they forgot their pointed white hats (Democrat women wear white in honor of suffragettes | Daily Mail Online), many in this liberal group do not or cannot see the end coming.

Trump talked about building America. Who, except haters, can fault his text? He talked about stopping crime and rebuilding inner cities - who wants more crime, drugs overdoses and crumbling cities that people are afraid to open their doors? These subjects were Democratic subjects when we believed in the Party. Now the 'Party' is too tied to globalism to turn back to it's roots and again support America.

I think of Dems passing Laws that are punitive to the law abiding and having no effect on crimianls that have no regard for any Law anyway.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:04 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
Absolutely love Trevor Noah's summary of the speech.

https://youtu.be/umge6h_ZQN0

Old 03-02-2017, 10:52 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,677,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't like Trump but I thought he gave a decent speech. I'm impressed that there is someone behind the scenes who is able to get through to him that he needs to stop the ranting and name calling. Someone told him he has to act like a President. Someone wrote him a good speech. And to Trump's credit, he paid attention and went ahead and did it.

The media are not bashing him now. They bashed him when he deserved it, but not now. And we don't have to be embarrassed now, at least for the time being.
You know, I know this is what many are feeling, even I saw a difference, but he had a speech written for him and used a Teleprompter. It was very controlled and he was undoubtedly instructed to behave appropriately, since this was not a rally, but surely if he were back in front of his fans, he would be acting as he always has. He is not going to just turn into a better person, though he does appear to have a dual, if not multiple, personalities...(is a Gemini, afterall).

It occurred to me, that if I had not had any prior knowledge of him before hearing this speech, I would have thought he did not sound terrible, though not entirely believable. But, like many, I am aware of so much already, so I know better.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:02 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,447,190 times
Default Honeymoon is over...

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
You know, I know this is what many are feeling, even I saw a difference, but he had a speech written for him and used a Teleprompter. It was very controlled and he was undoubtedly instructed to behave appropriately, since this was not a rally, but surely if he were back in front of his fans, he would be acting as he always has. He is not going to just turn into a better person, though he does appear to have a dual, if not multiple, personalities...(is a Gemini, afterall).

It occurred to me, that if I had not had any prior knowledge of him before hearing this speech, I would have thought he did not sound terrible, though not entirely believable. But, like many, I am aware of so much already, so I know better.
Back to the swamp.....https://a.msn.com/r/2/AAnJDoE?m=en-us

Old 03-03-2017, 07:41 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I think of Dems passing Laws that are punitive to the law abiding and having no effect on crimianls that have no regard for any Law anyway.
That's hilarious. You're talking about Dems having no regard for the law when Flynn was forced to resign because of the Russian scandal, Kellyanne Conway is being investigated for ethical violations after plugging Ivanka Trump's business, and Jeff Sessions had to recuse himself from the investigation for perjuring himself about contacting the Russian and may also have to resign? Trump has barely begun his term in office. What were you saying again?

Old 03-03-2017, 08:05 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
That's hilarious. You're talking about Dems having no regard for the law when Flynn was forced to resign because of the Russian scandal, Kellyanne Conway is being investigated for ethical violations after plugging Ivanka Trump's business, and Jeff Sessions had to recuse himself from the investigation for perjuring himself about contacting the Russian and may also have to resign? Trump has barely begun his term in office. What were you saying again?
Let's not forget Pence using a private email server!

Old 03-03-2017, 10:35 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I found Obama's first speech on Feb 24, 2009 and am trying to compare it to this speech.

It is not easy to compare. Obama began with the economy. He asked Congress to ok the recovery plan to get the economy back on track.

Trump also talks about the economy, but it seems some of his facts are not correct. It is true that the US has lost manufacturing jobs, but when NAFTA went into effect in 1994, manufacturing jobs actually increased. We have lost manufacturing jobs since 2000, but much of this is because robots are replacing human workers in factories. In 1960, about 25% of all workers were in manufacturing (note that this was a shift that happened as workers moved from farms to the factories). Now, about 10% of all workers are in factories and a new shift is happening to other industries.

Whether or not the new positions pay as well as manufacturing jobs is a mixed bag because while we always visualize manufacturing jobs as paying well, they don't always pay well. The salaries in manufacturing range from They range from clothing workers who make less than $25,000 a year on average to supervisors and plant operators who typically make almost $60,000 a year. And you have to take into account the workplace accidents in many manufacturing plants. He has no specifics about bringing back these jobs, whereas Obama laid out specifics of how the recovery would work.

As for the coal mining jobs, they won't come back

http://www.vox.com/energy-and-enviro...al-mining-jobs

This is why it is hard for me to believe anything he promises.
Well at least you are apparently considering the facts of these matters, which seems a good deal more than most Trump supporters are doing most of the time if reading their comments in this forum is any indication. My compliments!

Specifics are to Trump what termites are to wooden foundations...

Old 03-03-2017, 10:40 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Trust, mine at least, is forever gone for the media.
I've done a little research into what evidence there is about media bias, and a lot of that depends on what research you deem worthy of consideration. Something like politics and perhaps something we shouldn't be afraid about, but respectful. Maybe we should promote more voices and opinions to consider rather than less.

I mean, journalists are enemies of the people?

I'd say more like people against journalism, a free press, the media are the enemies of the people!

And just like people, none of us are perfect...

Deal with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies