Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 10:48 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,686,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
That's nice and all.

So why didn't Trump just say that instead of lying when he said there would be no pipeline unless it was made from American steel?

I'm certainly not suggesting that they should throw the existing supplies in the recycling bin and buy it again, but at the same time I'm not going to give Trump on a pass on his blatant lie.
In his defense, he was not actually lying.
He would have needed to know what he was talking about to have lied.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:09 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,505,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
That's nice and all.

So why didn't Trump just say that instead of lying when he said there would be no pipeline unless it was made from American steel?

I'm certainly not suggesting that they should throw the existing supplies in the recycling bin and buy it again, but at the same time I'm not going to give Trump on a pass on his blatant lie.
Trump "the deal maker" made a one sided deal here benefiting Canada with nothing in return.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:14 PM

42,885 posts, read 26,474,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Trump "the deal maker" made a one sided deal here benefiting Canada with nothing in return.
Well, maybe the resident's of the Midwest will send him thank you cards when they start paying more for gas

Old 03-06-2017, 06:29 AM

4,624 posts, read 3,338,042 times
Folks, I'll repeat: The Keystone Pipeline is not covered by Trump's executive order.

Again: The Keystone Pipeline is not covered by Trump's executive order.

Even though Trump said it was, he lied.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:23 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,840,961 times
Trump sells his stake in Dakota Access Pipeline developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Pretty sure he's admitted he owns stock in the companies building these pipelines.

I saw this months ago but I'm curious about how the transaction was handled. Saying you're selling a stock in which you have a conflict of interest just isn't enough. Well unless you're part of the cult. Right.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:23 AM

15,360 posts, read 12,688,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
What are we supposed to do with these? Send them back? And when was the last time you worried about American steel anyway?
when *45 brought it up in his speech?

Old 03-07-2017, 06:28 AM

15,360 posts, read 12,688,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
In his defense, he was not actually lying.
He would have needed to know what he was talking about to have lied.
I wish we could use this excuse for Obama.

geez, the amount of rope you give Trump is amazing.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:39 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,828,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
It seems Donald Trump is not as stupid as we all thought; he knew what was in his executive order after all: any NEW pipelines must be built with U.S. steel. Since the Keystone Pipeline was already under progress, it is exempt from this guideline.

Even though he lied and told his gullible supporters that this pipeline would have to be built using steel made in the U.S. (to great accolades from these same supporters). And don't even think he didn't know what was in his executive order - he's not THAT stupid - and don't even think he didn't know that the Keystone Pipeline steel was mostly already bought and sitting there. Even I knew that.

Who cares as long as it is completed and we can benefit from its operation? I don't care if the materials come from China, Mexico, or even Iran or North Korea, as long as they work.

Buy American is only as smart as the economics of it show. If one can purchase the same quality product from other countries, for quite a bit less, it only makes sense to do so. Freeing up money that would be spent on "Buy American" programs allows companies and individuals to spend that money elsewhere, gaining value for the money they would have lost due to a "Buy American" program.

Milton Friedman and many other economists have soundly shot protectionist "Buy American" programs down as they have also shot down import tariffs because the only thing a protectionist program or tariff protects an American company or consumer from is lower prices.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,925,459 times
The only way The Donald's phone was listened to was if the caller was a Russian agent finalizing the deal between them to help Trump win the election.

To claim that President Obama tapped Trump's phones is a completely fictional and desperate attempt to deflect the inquiry into the Russian Deals. Unfortunately the press falls for these distractions instead of staying focused on the important issues like having our current president colluding with a foreign power to throw an American Election.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:51 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Who cares as long as it is completed and we can benefit from its operation? I don't care if the materials come from China, Mexico, or even Iran or North Korea, as long as they work.

Buy American is only as smart as the economics of it show. If one can purchase the same quality product from other countries, for quite a bit less, it only makes sense to do so. Freeing up money that would be spent on "Buy American" programs allows companies and individuals to spend that money elsewhere, gaining value for the money they would have lost due to a "Buy American" program.

Milton Friedman and many other economists have soundly shot protectionist "Buy American" programs down as they have also shot down import tariffs because the only thing a protectionist program or tariff protects an American company or consumer from is lower prices.
That's all very good, but doesn't change the fact that Trump lied about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies