Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 12:20 AM

305 posts, read 331,162 times

Advertisements

Why do people always use that argument when I disagree with something they say? For example, I didn't agree with the women's march and I was told that I was trying to stifle their freedom of speech when voicing my opinion ....I explained to them I wasn't arguing their right to say it....I was voicing what I don't agree with....they didn't get it. They don't realized it goes both ways....they have a right to voice what they believe in but if we speak out our beliefs we are arguing their freedom of speech? It's so hypocritical. I think "freedom of speech" should be left out of the argument completely....because it isn't what we are arguing.
Funny how they can have violent riots to protest a speaker they don't agree with but if I don't agree with women taking the day off today to protest they say I'm arguing their freedom of speech....no I'm just stating I don't agree with the reasons behind it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 12:27 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,073,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
....I was voicing what I don't agree with....they didn't get it. .
Yeah they did. Deliberately being obtuse and obfuscating, and/or immediately going on the attack, are just tools used to put you on the defensive and derail conversation. Once you realize that, the best course of action is to say your piece and then just...........walk away.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:39 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,766,886 times
Quote:
Why do people always use that argument when I disagree with something they say?
They're not bright enough to understand abstract concepts.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Yeah they did. Deliberately being obtuse and obfuscating, and/or immediately going on the attack, are just tools used to put you on the defensive and derail conversation. Once you realize that, the best course of action is to say your piece and then just...........walk away.
In some cases yes but...

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon's_razor

Old 03-09-2017, 12:51 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,240,573 times
Quote:
Why do people always use that argument when I disagree with something they say? For example, I didn't agree with the women's march and I was told that I was trying to stifle their freedom of speech when voicing my opinion ....I explained to them I wasn't arguing their right to say it....I was voicing what I don't agree with....they didn't get it. They don't realized it goes both ways....they have a right to voice what they believe in but if we speak out our beliefs we are arguing their freedom of speech? It's so hypocritical. I think "freedom of speech" should be left out of the argument completely....because it isn't what we are arguing.
Funny how they can have violent riots to protest a speaker they don't agree with but if I don't agree with women taking the day off today to protest they say I'm arguing their freedom of speech....no I'm just stating I don't agree with the reasons behind it.
Right-wingers are the masters at using this kind of argument.

Yes, people need to understand that I have the freedom of speech to shoot down your stupid ideas. Not agreeing with you does not mean I am not allowing you to speak.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Not agreeing with you does not mean I am not allowing you to speak.
No, but not allowing someone to speak does mean you are not allowing them to speak (as in the case of the Middlebury protesters you defend).

Old 03-12-2017, 01:56 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,240,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
No, but not allowing someone to speak does mean you are not allowing them to speak (as in the case of the Middlebury protesters you defend).

Nice spin, but the protesters were NOT the one who decided to cancel the event, it was the organizers.

You could say the protest influenced the organizers to make that decision but you cannot draw a direct link from the protesters to the cancellation when the protesters do not have that power. The responsibility is on the organizers to organize a safe and peaceful event, there are things they could have done to make the protest less invasive but they didn't do it.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:05 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,116,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Nice spin, but the protesters were NOT the one who decided to cancel the event, it was the organizers.

You could say the protest influenced the organizers to make that decision but you cannot draw a direct link from the protesters to the cancellation when the protesters do not have that power. The responsibility is on the organizers to organize a safe and peaceful event, there are things they could have done to make the protest less invasive but they didn't do it.

So basically when protesters try to shut down free speech with riots it's time to fight fire with fire? Should the right make every attempt to shut down the left's speech? After all if it gets cancelled it's the organizers who did it right?

Old 03-12-2017, 02:35 PM

24,003 posts, read 15,100,850 times
As I understand the First Amendment, it says the government cannot shut me up. Nothing is said about a private college president, my spouse, parent or boss.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:25 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
So basically when protesters try to shut down free speech with riots it's time to fight fire with fire? Should the right make every attempt to shut down the left's speech??
No and No.

When one side resorts to violence and attempts to silence the other side, you know their position is untenable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies