Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 02:07 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What's that, you'll die without a govt weather report?
Quite possible, especially if you live near water during hurricane season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 02:55 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,556 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Sorry, you really don't know what you're talking about. Look, I believe in AGW but I also believe is accuracy and what you said is just not accurate. AGW induced sea level rise is a problem that involves time scales of years, in which sea water mixes to all levels. A critical part of sea level rise is whether the temp rise of the ocean is uniform or restricted to upper levels only. Another huge problem is whether the ocean floor warms up and releases trapped methane, in methane hydrates, but that has little effect on short term weather. Forecasting is a short-term problem with time scales of days to weeks - very different than climate problems.
This discussion isnt about Global warming. This discussion is about mineral deposits at the base of rivers causing banks to overflow, its about marshlands disappearing and the land mass having less resistance to wind and water, its about the erosion of barrier islands that support and defend the coast from the same.

I said rising seas and I threw you off, but thats not what this is about.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:26 AM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,767 times
I work in a very liberal area and a few customers were talking about this yesterday. The most common comments was: "If they cut the NOAA budget like that, they can only afford to have 32 teams in next March's tournament".

I am very conservative and very disappointed in the defense budget proposal. But I also approve of the NOAA cuts.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:44 AM

1,640 posts, read 794,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
No kidding. Cutting the EPA, cutting the NOAA Scientific budget, wanting more pipelines, discontinuing regulations for clean water, the list goes on and on...... The Trump Administration has no respect or care for the environment.
I don't understand why this doesn't matter to people.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:20 AM

57,291 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
I work in a very liberal area and a few customers were talking about this yesterday. The most common comments was: "If they cut the NOAA budget like that, they can only afford to have 32 teams in next March's tournament".

I am very conservative and very disappointed in the defense budget proposal. But I also approve of the NOAA cuts.
Well are you in favor of eliminating weather satellites, tornado and hurricane predictions. Trump proposes these across the board reductions in the State Dept, EPA. etc. Small gains and not the most efficient way to cut fat, every agency can reduce spending but blanket cuts don't reduce waste as we have already seen with the DOD sequester.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:28 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well are you in favor of eliminating weather satellites, tornado and hurricane predictions. Trump proposes these across the board reductions in the State Dept, EPA. etc. Small gains and not the most efficient way to cut fat, every agency can reduce spending but blanket cuts don't reduce waste as we have already seen with the DOD sequester.
Please provide proof that Trump advocates eliminating Weather Satellites and Tornado & Hurricane predictions.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:35 AM

57,291 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Please provide proof that Trump advocates eliminating Weather Satellites and Tornado & Hurricane predictions.
A 17% cut will take it's toll in many areas.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:36 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
I think it is a mistake to make this change.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:42 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Good deal. Take away their warning systems and let God sort them out.
That plays right into the hands of the Religious Right. They want people to rely on prayer/god to protect them from danger. Modern weather forecasting de-thrones god and religion. Same with modern medicine.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:55 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Trim the fat.
Isnt aviation weather data sourced from NOAA,Hate to see pilots getting the wrong weather data because corners have been cut due to budget cuts. As a pilot arent you a bit concerned?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies