Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2017, 08:05 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I sure don't see that in any Republican plan that's been proposed
I've not seen it in any plan outside of those I voted for. Sanders and Stein.

They lost. It's odd how so many claim to want this but refused to actually vote for it.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:07 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,528,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Topic is about Ryancare.

Ryancare is what is being debated in the Senate as replacement for Obamacare It will not pass if the rest of the Senate leadership isn't behind it.

Tom Cotton pulls a lot of weight.
Hey, didn't the White House triumvirate, tell the media not to give it a name like they did to Obamacare?

Nobody wants their name on the GOP health care bill - CNNPolitics.com

You're in big trouble lady!

Old 03-10-2017, 08:26 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,757,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Every had a car accident? If so, then you can thank all the other people in your state who haven't been involved in an accident for subsidizing your insurance premiums.
I think this is the best and most coherent response . Nobody can argue with you on this one. I have been in two very bad car accidents in my life. Both would have cost me hundreds of thousands (broken bones, years of time out of work and platinum physical therapy) . I was 21 the first time. Not a penny to my name. Thank you to all the NYers who subsidized my OUTSTANDING medical care when I was knocked out cold and bleeding in the back of an ambulance. I couldn't have made a full recovery without you. Why does auto insurance work????? Because it's MANDATED. Drops mic.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:28 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
The primary reason that Republicans want to repeal the existing plan is because some additional taxes were imposed on the very wealthy so that subsidized coverage could be made available to millions of low income people. It's important that billionaires and multi-millionaires not have to pay 3.8% more tax on the mostly passive income that they get from owning lots of stocks and other money generated not by work but by having lots of extra money to invest.

Now President Trump has told the congress that he wants to speed up the rollback of Medicaid expansions that 31 states opted for - 2020 is too long too wait.

Congressman Morgan Griffith wants to add more rules in the form of work requirements in order to be eligible for Medicaid. A great many of his own constituents in the VA 9th, a poor rural area will not be able to meet those requirements since there are very few jobs here. I guess the community food bank where I volunteer will be seeing even more patrons. It does not receive any government funding.

Griffith Introduces Medicaid Individual Responsibility Bill | Congressman Morgan Griffith

Old 03-10-2017, 08:29 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
I think this is the best and most coherent response . Nobody can argue with you on this one. I have been in two very bad car accidents in my life. Both would have cost me hundreds of thousands (broken bones, years of time out of work and platinum physical therapy) . I was 21 the first time. Not a penny to my name. Thank you to all the NYers who subsidized my OUTSTANDING medical care when I was knocked out cold and bleeding in the back of an ambulance. I couldn't have made a full recovery without you. Why does auto insurance work????? Because it's MANDATED. Drops mic.
Your welcome! It's my pleasure to pay for a healthy, and well educated society. In the long run it benefits all of us

Old 03-10-2017, 08:31 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
You clearly don't understand how insurance works, insurance companies do not have a magic pot of money to pay out from, it comes from premiums. You pay for the uninsured regardless if it's mandated or indirectly through health care costs. Uninsured or under insured elderly, kids, and adults are not being turned away from hospitals or clinics, if they can't pay the provider adds that loss to their overhead. It doesn't matter if your young, old, rich, or working poor, if you're healthy you are paying for the sick ones. When you make a claim, who do you think pays your benefit? If you say, "I've paid into it for years", that money was already used to pay for current claims. Insurance companies take their cut and re-distribute the money. That's how it works.
A 1986 Federal law requires most ERs to stabilize anyone, regardless of their insurance status or ability to pay.

This does not mean the ER/ hospital will not bill the uninsured. This does not mean the unpaid bill will not be turned over to collections. If the bill is high enough and the uninsured is employed and/ or has assets, they may pursue a court order to garnish wages or attach assets.

Typically a hospital will discount and require a payment plan.

Uncollected debt becomes a part of overhead that increases fees charged to everyone.

ERs are not required to treat patients. For example, one is not going to get Cancer Treatment in the ER. One is not going to get follow up care in the ER.

All insurance, health, life, home, liability and auto are primarily based on based on risk pools and geography.

There is no such thing as ala carte insurance.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:32 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
The primary reason that Republicans want to repeal the existing plan is because some additional taxes were imposed on the very wealthy so that subsidized coverage could be made available to millions of low income people. It's important that billionaires and multi-millionaires not have to pay 3.8% more tax on the mostly passive income that they get from owning lots of stocks and other money generated not by work but by having lots of extra money to invest.

Now President Trump has told the congress that he wants to speed up the rollback of Medicaid expansions that 31 states opted for - 2020 is too long too wait.

Congressman Morgan Griffith wants to add more rules in the form of work requirements in order to be eligible for Medicaid. A great many of his own constituents in the VA 9th, a poor rural area will not be able to meet those requirements since there are very few jobs here. I guess the community food bank where I volunteer will be seeing even more patrons. It does not receive any government funding.

Griffith Introduces Medicaid Individual Responsibility Bill | Congressman Morgan Griffith
By all means do it sooner so that we can see the results reflected in the 2018 elections.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:34 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
What an unmitigated disaster.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:34 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,757,549 times
Insurance companies spend millions in lobby money. They OWN the GOP. Listen. If I was a business owner concerned with getting rich, why would I offer insurance to my employees? It would cost me 20 to 30k a year to pay for my employees to have health insurance. Per person. It's only in my best interest to do so if I'm forced to attract the best talent in small pool. Joe from Kentucky with "conservative" work ethic doesn't qualify. There should be single payer public option..... Paid for with OUR tax dollars . If your job doesn't offer it and you can't afford the same plan tom cotton has, then jump on the public plan. The insurance companies may March in the streets with pitchforks and torches but who cares. Joe needs his teeth fixed .

Old 03-10-2017, 08:38 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Is it magic when you go into a store and the prices of their items are listed?

It was interesting. Our dog went blind and we took her to one of the highest regarded veterinarian hospitals around (appx 2 hour drive) we were hoping it was just cataracts. We were treated better there than any regular hospital I had every been to. They sat down and explained what they were looking for, the options and the EXACT cost of each procedure.

Why is that controversial with you?

Ryan is throwing this responsibility to the citizens, rather than making a rule for the providers to provide pricing and stick with pricing that they agreed to ahead of time. If Ryan tried and couldn't get hospital's pricing ahead of time, do you think regular everyday people will be able to pin down the pricing ahead of time and get the providers to agree to the pricing ahead of time, or we don't have to pay the difference?

What should people do, refuse to get their broken leg fixed until a price sheet is given, then go to 4 different hospitals for evaluation and a price, while their leg is still swollen? It is a problem that the pricing is being hidden from consumers and that there are different price structures for patients and insurance companies and the prices could be tweaked at any time. Today, even if someone gets a price quote for a broken leg, the provider has a disclaimer that says it's just an estimate and the actual price can be different. The pre-negotiated price between the insurance company and the doctors is kept a secret and they won't give this pricing to patients ahead of time. I tried to get this pricing too. They refused to give it to me.

But Ryan isn't proposing the fix this mess about pre-pricing. Instead, he identifies that it's a problem. Even Ryan, a US Senator, couldn't get a price quote. Ryan's not going to fix it and it's not something that Regular Joe consumer could fix on their own. It needs standards and rules. It's not going to magically happen even if lots of people contact their hospital for pre-pricing. Because the hospitals can change prices and they won't guarantee any prices ahead of time and often, people don't know what services they'll need ahead of time (such as urgent care). Often they are too sick to price shop and they couldn't price shop ahead of time because they didn't know they'd get renal cancer 1 year prior. Even if they had price quotes 1 year prior, the prices can change at any time and are pretty much worthless. The price quotes that the insurance pre-negotiated are a secret so if you have insurance, you have no clue what the pre-negotiated price will be. No clue.

Ryan chose to put his head in the sand on this one. He expects magic to happen, and it won't.

Last edited by sware2cod; 03-10-2017 at 08:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies