Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2017, 06:18 PM

1,768 posts, read 715,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am tired of this "who's insured?" stupid ass statistic.

Being insured does not mean you have access to health care.
You might have access to overpriced CRAP, but that doesn't mean you have access to health care providers or facilities.

Why don't people understand that?

There needs to be a better benchmark.

Being "insured" for the last couple of years has been virtually MEANINGLESS to my family...besides being out $1000 a month in premiums.
The lobbyist sure like the statistic though. With caps on earnings by insurance companies their goal is increased revenue. This is done by two means: Charge more and increase the number insured.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:18 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
House Speaker Paul D. Ryan’s proposal to revise the Affordable Care Act would lower the number of Americans with health insurance by 24 million while reducing the federal deficit by $337 billion by 2026, congressional budget analysts said Monday.

According to a Congressional Budget Office projection, 14 million fewer people would have health insurance next year alone. Premiums would be 15 percent to 20 percent higher in the first year compared with the Affordable Care Act and 10 percent lower on average after 2026. By and large, older Americans would pay “substantially” more and younger Americans less, the report said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...=.aac2d8bb1b44

Talk about a "Death Panel"?????This is what he is doing, killing people off

Old 03-13-2017, 06:19 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,494,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
My experience with insurance, especially health insurance, is you need it when you need it...and all other times, you don't "need" it.

Unfortunately, that's not how insurance works.

I went uninsured for a very small amount of time in my early 20's (right after college, during the recession), and it was one of the more stupid things I ever did. I got injured (needed stitches) a few months after getting insurance back, and I was thankful that injury didn't happen while I was uninsured.

I imagine a lot of people who want to "skip" insurance because they don't "need" it certainly would "need" it once they get sick. Unfortunately, we can't plan sickness/injury (unless, of course, it's self-inflicted).
Exactly. A few years ago my son,25 at the time, was hospitalized for 6 weeks. Luckily, due to obamacare, I could keep him on my company insurance. It covered all but 5k. I don't know what the price tag would have been without insurance but I imagine devastating.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:20 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,494,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I didn't have any form of health insurance at all until I was well ino my 30's.

I survived.....

Not saying that it's necessarily a smart thing to do but that doesn't mean that it's ok for the government to force you to buy something that you don't want to buy.

Whether someone "needs" health insurance should be their decision, not arbitrarily commanded by government edict.
Then you are not okay with government enforcing car insurance?

Old 03-13-2017, 06:22 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,444,621 times
The Gray Panthers are on a rampage...AARP is going ballistic...Seniors vote more often than their younger counterparts--I believe this bill is DOA when it reaches the Senate.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:25 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I keep hearing these large figures for health care premiums.

My partner and I have the best coverage. And I pay roughly about $150/month for both of us. I can't imagine having to pay $1000/month for healthcare coverage.

Is there really any truth to these insanely high premiums?
Is your employer picking up a part of the tab? What is your age?

Premiums are based on geo ratings. This was true way before the ACA and remains true. For example , Florida has 69 geo rated areas. The premium for the same Individual Plan sold by the same insurer varies region to region within state and across states.

What matters within each geo rated area:

The health of the population measured by claims and cost of claims, and

The ratio of healthcare providers and hospital beds vs the population, and

The competition amongst health insurers within a region

Health insurers have been contracting via mergers and acquisistions for more than 25 years.

Health insurers have been exiting the Individual Plan Markets, in whole or by region for more than 25 years.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:25 PM

33,534 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I didn't have any form of health insurance at all until I was well ino my 30's.

I survived.....

Not saying that it's necessarily a smart thing to do but that doesn't mean that it's ok for the government to force you to buy something that you don't want to buy.

Whether someone "needs" health insurance should be their decision, not arbitrarily commanded by government edict.
Obviously you have no clue how insurance works

Old 03-13-2017, 06:28 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
We will need 60 votes to get anything substantial in place. Which is why we will not be seeing any good legislation come out of this current effort.

So people better stop their nitpicking, and thinking there is supposed to be a good bill right out of the box
EXACTLY! Ain't going to happen on the first go-round and probably not on the 4th either. Hopefully this plan takes a bit longer than the last piece of crap that was dumped on us, maybe with more eyeballs on it and knowing what mistakes were made before this time it'll be better?

On thing is for certain, it's going to be interesting to see what happens with Obamacare while all this gets worked out since I don't believe it will be repealed without something to replace it with.
If there's nothing in place by next year it's going to get very interesting to see what prices jump to and what insurers are still willing to hold policies, if ANY at all...

Old 03-13-2017, 06:29 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Then you are not okay with government enforcing car insurance?
Here we go with the usual response! You don't need car insurance if you don't drive.
And this will really make you mad----you must have accident insurance BEFORE you have an accident!

Old 03-13-2017, 06:29 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Young people don't need health insurance? Guess they are invincible.
Young people have unprotected sex and concieve.

Young people are more likely to DUI.

Young people are involved in auto accidents.

Young people become victims of violence.

And sometimes, young people are diagnosed with serious disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies