Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 01:57 PM

661 posts, read 522,145 times

Advertisements

I mean, technological unemployment is only going to become more normal and we might even experience an increase in poverty. People say that technology becoming advanced is inevitable, but why so? Why can't the governments in today's world simply ban or regulate the production of technology or other certain machines?

I sometimes hate the social side-effects of technology too. I want to live in a nice pre-2k society where people had responsible lifestyles and were a lot nicer in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 01:59 PM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
It all went downill with the wheel.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:01 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Why not have the government restrict people's lifestyles so they live within their means?

Maybe have cameras in your bathroom to make sure your brushing and flossing.

Hey, it's Thursday, the day your supposed to eat 6 ounces of grilled chicken, spinach, tomatoes and a pear. I'm going to petition the government for some extra salt. Wish me luck.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:21 PM

24,005 posts, read 15,100,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
I mean, technological unemployment is only going to become more normal and we might even experience an increase in poverty. People say that technology becoming advanced is inevitable, but why so? Why can't the governments in today's world simply ban or regulate the production of technology or other certain machines?

I sometimes hate the social side-effects of technology too. I want to live in a nice pre-2k society where people had responsible lifestyles and were a lot nicer in general.
Why don't humans adapt? Learn a little?

Governments cannot stifle creativity.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:24 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,641,728 times
Quote:

I believe what we need is a grand treaty between the USA, China, EU and India.
that makes it the biggest group in the world by a large margin.

Then everyone agrees to the exact same tax codes for business. We tax biz at dizzy high rates, maybe 80% of profits

we structure it so that there is no cheating. Trust and confirm as they say...

any nation outside the group must sign and comply to join.

The idea is that each country gives its people a living wage that cant be taxed. and if people can make more money getting jobs good for them, but they pay a reasonable tax...

free wages. Free healthcare. and high rates of tax on earning and assets over 100 times the average wealth. (so you can get damn rich but never Buffet rich.)

lets face it, AI is coming. IT will be smarter, stronger, faster. We can't stop it, so we need to setup our world to deal with it.

i would add, i am not claiming my plan is good, but it is the best i can make up. taxing robots themselves is tricky. and taxing AI is going to be hard too. So maybe just tax corps/biz as it stands they pay about 10% of taxes, we could very easy get that to 90%.

we know for a fact that white collar jobs for average people are vanishing. we know software can write software and soon coding will be just for the super smart people , and soon after just for machines.

we absolutely know that humans will be mostly redundant in the next 20-50 years. unless we start upgrading are IQ genetically.

we already make too much stuff.
we already don't have enough jobs.
we already have trouble getting people to buy enough to keep this going.

why wait until it is too late and we end up at war.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:27 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,529,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
It all went downill with the wheel.
LOL- you're going strong today Frank!

Old 03-07-2017, 02:45 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,356,140 times
Quote:

I watched this video somewhere or other that made a point about why technological innovation isn't necessarily a bad thing insofar as job-deletion is concerned. I can't remember much of it except for the ending, that mentioned that one of the main complaints people have about their jobs is that they make them feel like mindless machines.

The idea would be that those jobs that make people feel like mindless machines would be run by real mindless machines. People would be doing the more intelligent stuff.

I don't know if that work or not. Maybe robots will just result in everyone except business owners being permanently unemployed and competing over who can wash the most windows on street corners.

We had industrialization which destroyed the old system of toy makers lovingly crafting each toy themselves...but then we had plumbing which got rid of the poop-collecting jobs, which they complained about but I don't think any of us would.

It's a gamble.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:52 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,036,041 times
"When technology is outlawed...only outlaws will have technology."

Old 03-07-2017, 03:11 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,300,036 times
Why didn't the government protect buggy whip manufacturers from that dadgummed horseless carriage?

Old 03-07-2017, 03:14 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,654,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Why didn't the government protect buggy whip manufacturers from that dadgummed horseless carriage?
Excellent point. Technology did in the buggy whip manufacturers, but the automobile created millions of jobs, and 10s of millions more are dependent upon it.

i.e. It's a false assumption that technology eliminates jobs. History shows that it creates them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies