Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 07:29 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,971,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Wrong.

Regardless, please explain how a tax INCREASE leads to an explosion of the national debt, which is what you alleged.
I note there is no citation or link to your so called data. Is it from think progress, media matters, or some other DNC propaganda site?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 07:40 PM

18,511 posts, read 9,188,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Neither program should have been or should be funded with debt.
What world are you living in? Politicians stay in office by promising free stuff and lower taxes.

First law of economics: there's no free lunch

First law of politics: politicians must promise a free lunch

Old 03-08-2017, 07:42 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,660,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
From the article in the OP: https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-b...12229?mod=e2fb

I'm not sure if those strategies will work, but that seems to be their plan as of now.

Yeah - well, I'm cautiously interested in this. Key word being "cautiously" here.
The White House official responsible for overseeing implementation of President Obama’s massive infrastructure initiative says this,

"Trump’s plan is not really an infrastructure plan. It’s a tax-cut plan for utility-industry and construction-sector investors, and a massive corporate welfare plan for contractors. The Trump plan doesn’t directly fund new roads, bridges, water systems or airports, as did Hillary Clinton’s 2016 infrastructure proposal. Instead, Trump’s plan provides tax breaks to private-sector investors who back profitable construction projects. These projects (such as electrical grid modernization or energy pipeline expansion) might already be planned or even underway. There’s no requirement that the tax breaks be used for incremental or otherwise expanded construction efforts; they could all go just to fatten the pockets of investors in previously planned projects."

"Moreover, as others have noted, desperately needed infrastructure projects that are not attractive to private investors — municipal water-system overhauls, repairs of existing roads, replacement of bridges that do not charge tolls — get no help from Trump’s plan."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.2fdd7e8206bc

Old 03-08-2017, 07:47 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,665,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
I note there is no citation or link to your so called data. Is it from think progress, media matters, or some other DNC propaganda site?

Got it here:

Biggest Tax Increase in History?

The numbers appear to be accurate. I don't see why anyone would not use inflation-adjusted figures, unless he or she was trying to score a political point.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:54 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,118,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
How will this be paid for? There is no money for it.
Did you see the repatriation tax holiday? There is hundreds of billions of in US assets sitting overseas because the tax is so high to bring it back onto this country. Companies like Exxon, Intel, Apple etc.

If you give the an incentive to bring that money here you may generate less tax revenue but you will generate revenue. In addition to that you're dumping hundreds of millions into the economy which those companies can use for investment here or pay dividends to the stockholder.... and before you go off the handle about paying stockholders realize the primary holder of a company like Exxon is pension funds and other average Joe investments.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:56 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,923,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
The White House official responsible for overseeing implementation of President Obama’s massive infrastructure initiative says this,

"Trump’s plan is not really an infrastructure plan. It’s a tax-cut plan for utility-industry and construction-sector investors, and a massive corporate welfare plan for contractors. The Trump plan doesn’t directly fund new roads, bridges, water systems or airports, as did Hillary Clinton’s 2016 infrastructure proposal. Instead, Trump’s plan provides tax breaks to private-sector investors who back profitable construction projects. These projects (such as electrical grid modernization or energy pipeline expansion) might already be planned or even underway. There’s no requirement that the tax breaks be used for incremental or otherwise expanded construction efforts; they could all go just to fatten the pockets of investors in previously planned projects."

"Moreover, as others have noted, desperately needed infrastructure projects that are not attractive to private investors — municipal water-system overhauls, repairs of existing roads, replacement of bridges that do not charge tolls — get no help from Trump’s plan."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.2fdd7e8206bc
Yeah, I read the same details back in November, too, and I was pretty negative about it. That said, this WSJ article seems to indicate he has an interest in funding/getting behind rail and other transit projects...which makes me cautiously interested.

I guess I'd like more details on this to better understand what the real plans are and to see if Trump is actually serious about investing in these kind of projects (or if he's just blowing smoke).

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 03-08-2017 at 08:07 PM..

Old 03-08-2017, 08:19 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,964,569 times
Quote:
WSJ: Trump Begins to Map Out $1 Trillion Infrastructure Plan

For as much of a hard time I give Mr. Trump (and I do give him a really hard time about a lot of things), I'm 100% behind his infrastructure plans (assuming it's more than just oil pipelines).

Couple of things that jumped out at me:

We need regulations - but good projects that actually make the world more efficient/cleaner (such as transit projects that take cars off of the road) should be fast tracked.

Yes!

Double Yes!

I like the idea of mixed private and public funding - I wish more local projects did this. Here in the SF Bay Area, we should really be working with the many large companies to see if they can help bridge the gap on funding of major projects.

I'm cautiously interested to see what comes of this plan of his. I hope he keeps to his words on this.
Yes, we are all for infrastructure now, the last couple of years we were against it, glad to get the update. Oh and your taxes are going to go up, just so ya know. Thankfully we are not going to have to pay for the Wall, Mexico is, right?

Old 03-08-2017, 08:25 PM

31,959 posts, read 27,083,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Did you see the repatriation tax holiday? There is hundreds of billions of in US assets sitting overseas because the tax is so high to bring it back onto this country. Companies like Exxon, Intel, Apple etc.

If you give the an incentive to bring that money here you may generate less tax revenue but you will generate revenue. In addition to that you're dumping hundreds of millions into the economy which those companies can use for investment here or pay dividends to the stockholder.... and before you go off the handle about paying stockholders realize the primary holder of a company like Exxon is pension funds and other average Joe investments.

You seem to forget "tax repatriation holiday" falls under "been there and done that"; and did Jack *S* for the American economy overall.

Oh companies brought back a whole lot of money from overseas, then promptly used it to either pay dividends or buy back shares. In the end the scheme actually *cost* the US government money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repatriation_tax_holiday

Now what was that definition of insanity again? You know the one about doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different outcome?

Old 03-08-2017, 09:27 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,923,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Yes, we are all for infrastructure now, the last couple of years we were against it, glad to get the update. Oh and your taxes are going to go up, just so ya know. Thankfully we are not going to have to pay for the Wall, Mexico is, right?
Are you mistaking me for a Trump supporter?

I'm ok for higher taxes if we get something for it (like infrastructure improvements).

Yeah, there's no way Mexico is paying for anything, agreed.

I'm cautiously interested in what Trump is proposing here. Hopefully he isn't just blowing hot air...which he could be doing.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:34 PM

32,131 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Quote:
WSJ: Trump Begins to Map Out $1 Trillion Infrastructure Plan

For as much of a hard time I give Mr. Trump (and I do give him a really hard time about a lot of things), I'm 100% behind his infrastructure plans (assuming it's more than just oil pipelines).

Couple of things that jumped out at me:

We need regulations - but good projects that actually make the world more efficient/cleaner (such as transit projects that take cars off of the road) should be fast tracked.

Yes!

Double Yes!

I like the idea of mixed private and public funding - I wish more local projects did this. Here in the SF Bay Area, we should really be working with the many large companies to see if they can help bridge the gap on funding of major projects.

I'm cautiously interested to see what comes of this plan of his. I hope he keeps to his words on this.
This should be very interesting. Democrats have wanted this but repulicans have pushed it aside
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies