Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 07:16 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,190,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
So you are saying that without a sustainable infrastructure plan our jobs are safe?
No. Your jobs are not safe. That is the point. You have to stop being so selfish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 07:18 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,190,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Aaaaahhhhhh, the end of the world, think of the children.....Aaaaahhhhhh.

Pay for it and I'll support it.

Watch this video. IT IS HIGHLY ACCURATE. Anyone who works in quantitative finance can already attest to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU

You are not valuable. You have no skills that can't be replicated with AI. If you don't understand this, then you've been living in a bubble.

Your traditional thought of the economy where you purchase a massive McMansion is over. It is unsustainable. You cannot steal anymore from future generations.

The future begins today with this infrastructure plan. It's a paradigm in economic thinking. The old system doesn't work.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:22 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
He has no idea... I can tell you only this, I know of a small project - its only a redo of existing area. Fed paid... Funds approved, so it is not the money... 2 yrs later still not done. Project costs about $60k. Imagine trillions.$$$. Ha-ha-ha. in 10 years. Maybe

Sadly the United States no longer does large nor even medium sized infrastructure projects well. On average they all are vastly over budget, full of waste, fraud and abuse, and take ages longer than they should. As such a trillion dollars just doesn't go far as people assume such a vast sum ought.

That hot mess "Big Dig" in Boston was one shining example. The current ongoing Olmsted Dam in Ohio is another example.

Years overdue, billions overbudget: Olmsted engineers predict the project will be operational in 2018 | Local News | thesouthern.com

Illinois dam costing billions more than expected as delays mount | Illinois | stltoday.com

United States infrastructure not only clearly suffers from a lack of funding, but the way projects are approved, who is put in charge of them, who's feet are held to the fire in terms of responsibility for on time and on budget completion, and delivering a quality project has to change. This includes federal departments and agencies that are ossified and stubborn such as the Army Core of Engineers.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:03 AM

59,082 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
WSJ: Trump Begins to Map Out $1 Trillion Infrastructure Plan

For as much of a hard time I give Mr. Trump (and I do give him a really hard time about a lot of things), I'm 100% behind his infrastructure plans (assuming it's more than just oil pipelines).

Couple of things that jumped out at me:

We need regulations - but good projects that actually make the world more efficient/cleaner (such as transit projects that take cars off of the road) should be fast tracked.

Yes!

Double Yes!

I like the idea of mixed private and public funding - I wish more local projects did this. Here in the SF Bay Area, we should really be working with the many large companies to see if they can help bridge the gap on funding of major projects.

I'm cautiously interested to see what comes of this plan of his. I hope he keeps to his words on this.
" (such as transit projects that take cars off of the road) should be fast tracked. "

You must live in the city.

As they say, 'There is NO interest like SELF interest"

Old 03-15-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
America's 2017 federal deficit is projected to be $443 billion dollars (that's $443 billion dollars added to our national debt.)
2017 United States Federal Budget

Where will the $1 trillion dollars for infrastructure come from?

And Donald Trumps tax cuts will add $7 trillion dollars to our national debt in the next 10 years, and add $20.7 trillion to our national debt in the next 20 years.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/beltway.../#772aa9ed6554

And Donald Trump wants to increase military spending by 10%.
https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...ending-cut-epa

And repealing the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) would add $350 billion to the debt over the next decade.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/pol...UHJ/story.html

Where will the $1 trillion dollars for infrastructure come from?

Or what government programs can be cut to offset this spending and tax cut caused reduced tax revenues?
"And Donald Trumps tax cuts will add $7 trillion dollars to our national debt in the next 10 years,"

History has shown that tax cuts done right INCREASE revenues to to the fed as they did under JFK, Reagan and W, Bush.

The left usually ignores this FACT.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:08 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
How will this be paid for? There is no money for it. It's going straight to the national debt. It will never get past the conservatives in the House. It's not just their ideology. They represent rural districts in flyover country that will see little of the money. The bulk of it will go to the coasts and large cities. They won't support it. DOA.
I agree. I can't stand Trump for the most part, but I believe a big infrastructure project is sorely needed and I'm very supportive of him on this proposal. But he is unrealistic about funding these gargantuan projects. How does he expect us to pay for a $21 billion border wall? How does he plan a $54 billion increase in the military budget? How does he propose to pay for a $1 trillion infrastructure project? Talk is cheap.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
No, the national DEBT went up to almost $20 trillion under Obama.

The national DEFICIT was actually decreasing when Obama left office.

Obama often cited the decreasing national deficit and here was Politifact's take:
"The national DEFICIT was actually decreasing when Obama left office."

It was ALSO DECREASING under W. Bush when he TOOK office .

Old 03-15-2017, 09:18 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
How will this be paid for? There is no money for it. It's going straight to the national debt. It will never get past the conservatives in the House. It's not just their ideology. They represent rural districts in flyover country that will see little of the money. The bulk of it will go to the coasts and large cities. They won't support it. DOA.
Exactly.

There may be several bridges scattered hither and yon, but the big money projects will be around the coasts and large cities.

Aside from running up the national debt to enrich corporate contractors, I can't imagine there would be much support from the conservative world.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:23 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I agree. I can't stand Trump for the most part, but I believe a big infrastructure project is sorely needed and I'm very supportive of him on this proposal. But he is unrealistic about funding these gargantuan projects. How does he expect us to pay for a $21 billion border wall? How does he plan a $54 billion increase in the military budget? How does he propose to pay for a $1 trillion infrastructure project? Talk is cheap.
Fifty billion here, a trillion there, pretty soon it starts to add up.

Many of my conservative neighbors are clear that paying down the national debt is the main reason they vote for Republicans. All the dire predictions about "unsustainable national debt" are quite real to them.

Not sure how widespread this is, but I don't see the Republican base getting fired up about putting these projects on credit

Old 03-15-2017, 09:24 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
This country has had mixed up priorities for some time now.

We can pour a trillion and growing dollars down a rat hole known as the Afghanistan war, but cannot find a way to pay for major infrastructure projects. Ditto goes for Iraq and a few other military actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies