Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 09:35 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Why did you choose your political party?
I found both parties are deeply partisan, dishonest and hypocritical, which is why I remain independent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 10:12 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
back in 1968 in fourth grade, we had a debate about the candidates, we were assigned a candidate and our group had to make the case for them or against the other guy. my group was assigned hubert humphry, and as i researched nixon, i liked him better than humphry, so when teh time came to register to vote, i registered republican, that was 1976. i have liked the republican candidates better ever since.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:15 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,623,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
So a few days ago I got to talking to a guy in my office who happened to be a Republican/Con about politics. Unlike the discussions on this forum, we actually talked about where each side REALLY stands on issues rather than just attacking Obama, Trump, Hillary in a repetitive way like most people on this forum.

Anyway, what I discovered in our conversation is that his beliefs about what Liberals really believe was mostly false or exaggerated. I also found out that we actually agree on issues I would not of expected.

The question is why did you choose your political party and do you REALLY know what the other side believes or do you just go off FOX FALSE NEWS and CNN Not Real NEWS?
I chose to be independent because I can't stand either party because they will not work with each other. I am completely jaded when it comes to politicians. When I was young lad I was a Democrat but that was because I had no clue so I flipped a coin. I never switched to Republican but I quickly changed to independent in my 20s. I list out the issues that are important to me and I try to vote using that list. It still doesn't work.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:23 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
The hippies were phony doped up slobs who ran around with Mao's little red book in their pockets like today's idiots run around with Guevara tee shirts.

"Oh wow man, that's so groovy." <barf>

Old 03-13-2017, 10:35 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,959,399 times
As an educated and successful professional white male who works for a living, the Democrat Party is only interested in me to the extent that it can call me names, make me the enemy and tax me to fund their wealth redistribution schemes. It certainly isn't interested in my vote, so I won't give it to them.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:38 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,114,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
I think conservatives support individual liberty and opportunity -- where liberals don't seem to believe individuals can, or are able to, succeed, so they have/want a lot of (take care of me) programs and laws to 'manage' and help (incapable) people. It's kind of sad.
Is that truly what you believe???

Old 03-13-2017, 10:43 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
I don't have a political party. I'm a Marxist and followed Groucho's sage advice of not caring to belong to any club that would have me as a member.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:17 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
I voted Republican for years because I despise undeserved entitlements like generational welfare. Handouts are out of control and the abuse is a huge financial drain. I did not vote for Trump because the Republican party is too full of extremes. I'd consider myself a moderate. Conservative but also humane. I can't relate to either party now. All I see are extremes with the Republicans and a corrupt president only concerned with nepotism and making the 1% great. The Democrats have their problems as well with corruption and the endless entitlements. Twenty million people with free cell phones? Really? Give me a break. Yes it's time for a change, but I have serious doubts that Trumphole is that change we've needed. He scares the crap out of me. How many more troops is he going to send to Syria? He seems to have a great way of diverting attention to something stupid and then does something big that gets less coverage. This is indeed a dark time for America. Also an embarrassing one.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:37 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,903,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I voted Republican for years because I despise undeserved entitlements like generational welfare. Handouts are out of control and the abuse is a huge financial drain. I did not vote for Trump because the Republican party is too full of extremes. I'd consider myself a moderate. Conservative but also humane. I can't relate to either party now. All I see are extremes with the Republicans and a corrupt president only concerned with nepotism and making the 1% great. The Democrats have their problems as well with corruption and the endless entitlements. Twenty million people with free cell phones? Really? Give me a break. Yes it's time for a change, but I have serious doubts that Trumphole is that change we've needed. He scares the crap out of me. How many more troops is he going to send to Syria? He seems to have a great way of diverting attention to something stupid and then does something big that gets less coverage. This is indeed a dark time for America. Also an embarrassing one.
The Republican base has been upset with the establishment since George W. Bush but, ironically, their voter participation hasn’t declined. They channeled it into the Tea Party, and ever-crazier politicians, to the extent that the ‘first wave’ of Tea Party outsiders are now being chased out be even crazier second and third wavers.

Remember that Newt Gingrich was the original barbarian at the gate. And now he’s almost a centrist statesman compared to the people being supported by the Republican base. And Paul Ryan was chosen by Mitt Romney precisely because he was a Tea Party darling when elected, and now he’s considered a RINO as the base continues its walk into insanity.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:06 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
So a few days ago I got to talking to a guy in my office who happened to be a Republican/Con about politics. Unlike the discussions on this forum, we actually talked about where each side REALLY stands on issues rather than just attacking Obama, Trump, Hillary in a repetitive way like most people on this forum.

Anyway, what I discovered in our conversation is that his beliefs about what Liberals really believe was mostly false or exaggerated. I also found out that we actually agree on issues I would not of expected.

The question is why did you choose your political party and do you REALLY know what the other side believes or do you just go off FOX FALSE NEWS and CNN Not Real NEWS?
People do not really have a choice of their political party. If they have become adults who have genuine concern for the welfare of others and that of the country and don't pursue only their own selfish interests, there is only one party they can support. If they shift to an independent candidate, their votes will be thrown away and the opposition will gain.

On the other hand, if they become greedy and self-serving adults, care nothing about the best interests of others and would sacrifice the future of our country for those things, then there's only one party for them.

Many would say that this is too much of a generalization, that there are many who fit in between those two types. But since the presidential candidate of just one or the other will win, that generalization is fitting and accurate, for the end result that is produced.

In fact, the only independent candidate who has won the Presidency in modern times, was on a TV show. There, idealism is allowed to prevail, in a way that it never can in real life. Several times in the past 15 years, popular TV programs have featured fictional presidents. So many times, I've heard people say that the actors Martin Sheen, Geena Davis and Keith Carradine are the ones they'd want as presidents. They wonder why our real politicians can't be like the characters they've portrayed. Indeed, why not? Probably because when such people do emerge as politicians, the opposition goes into a panic and pulls every dirty trick and throws every insult they can, because they're so afraid they will succeed. Crooked politicians can't co-exist with good ones and so they must extinguish the support for the latter type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies