Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 10:24 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,523,323 times

Advertisements

So a few days ago I got to talking to a guy in my office who happened to be a Republican/Con about politics. Unlike the discussions on this forum, we actually talked about where each side REALLY stands on issues rather than just attacking Obama, Trump, Hillary in a repetitive way like most people on this forum.

Anyway, what I discovered in our conversation is that his beliefs about what Liberals really believe was mostly false or exaggerated. I also found out that we actually agree on issues I would not of expected.

The question is why did you choose your political party and do you REALLY know what the other side believes or do you just go off FOX FALSE NEWS and CNN Not Real NEWS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 12:13 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
So a few days ago I got to talking to a guy in my office who happened to be a Republican/Con about politics. Unlike the discussions on this forum, we actually talked about where each side REALLY stands on issues rather than just attacking Obama, Trump, Hillary in a repetitive way like most people on this forum.

Anyway, what I discovered in our conversation is that his beliefs about what Liberals really believe was mostly false or exaggerated. I also found out that we actually agree on issues I would not of expected.

The question is why did you choose your political party and do you REALLY know what the other side believes or do you just go off FOX FALSE NEWS and CNN Not Real NEWS?
So you found that your beliefs about conservatives were false or exaggerated?

Old 03-13-2017, 12:18 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:

Force and punishment, with law after law to create victimless crime.

vs.

Tolerance and education, and the only punishable crime is theft, swindle, threats of physical harm and actual physical harm/murder, as not to create resentment.

I look who wishes to control and micro-manage me the least, as the lesser of the 2 evils.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:26 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
I'm proud to be an independent and mostly a centrist who doesn't pledge allegiance to any political party. I can find something to agree with (or disagree with) in any political platform.

For those who are unsure, I highly recommend taking the political quiz at www.isidewith.com to help you figure out where you stand.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:39 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
I read the Constitution to know where I stand.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:16 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,502,323 times
I think conservatives support individual liberty and opportunity -- where liberals don't seem to believe individuals can, or are able to, succeed, so they have/want a lot of (take care of me) programs and laws to 'manage' and help (incapable) people. It's kind of sad.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:05 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times
Quote:
The question is why did you choose your political party
You need to understand that the world is a collection of individuals. And every individual has his own interests(IE things that benefit them).

No person is the same as any other person. And no Democrat or Republican agrees with anyone else about everything.

Politics should be called "The means justifies the end". And the purpose of politics, as well as political parties, is "to get what we want".

Republicans and Democrats are practically the same party. The reason we seem to be at each other's throats, regardless of our largely minor differences, is because that is how politics works. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Moreover, when it comes to someone's ideology/beliefs. People attach themselves to those ideologies which they believe will benefit them, and they will find any means available to defend their position, and to deny yours.

As I often say, "People believe what they want to believe".

And what people want to believe, are those things they find useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH53uFBOGbw

As for Fox News and CNN. We need to remember that corporations are run by people. And that corporations, just as individuals, have their own interests. And they will use the tools and means available to them to get what they want.

If you understand who someone is, it becomes obvious why they believe what they believe, and why they act as they act.

The interests of a multi-billion dollar, multinational media company, staffed by people making millions of dollars a year, will have little in common with the interests of the "common working man". But that media company has the power to manipulate the opinion of the working man, through lies, distortions, and propaganda. And they will do this because it benefits them, or because they see no other alternative to protect themselves.

In short, don't play the silly game of party politics if you can avoid it. Focus instead on trying to do the right thing.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:48 AM

18,470 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Because the other party is too expensive.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:15 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,841,256 times
I voted Republicans throughout the ballot because I didnt want to pay for expensive Obamacare & foot the bill for illegals, refugees. My decision was especially influenced by the invasion that destroyed Europe. I dont follow mainstream media anymore. I read these forums to share issues with people like me. The experts on msm can no longer relate to or care about my issues so why bother tuning into them. The rich snobs can discuss endlessly about saving the world while I am trying to make ends meet. I will vote for my family first.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:19 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
I haven't 'joined' a team yet. I became an American in 2008 and with each election I weigh the most pressing issues and vote based on that.

Yeah I tend to lean socially liberal but I find most of my 'conservative' friends do too so you can't label me a liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies