Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 08:56 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,955,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I can take you to several cases here in Mississippi.

It is called "crazy money" in some circles. I personally know of 2 cases. Welfare is their only income.
But if I know 2, how many are there?
Personally? Why don't you report them?

When I hear "I personally know" it usually means a neighbor or distant relative or a friend of a friend who knows someone who...

A few years ago, I had a neighbor who lived off of the government. She had inherited her small mobile home and got help with food and utilities from family services. People often talked about her because she "didn't look crazy." I knew she was schizophrenic, but often people on the right medication can appear to be normal, although it's very difficult to function on anti-psychotics. She committed suicide 2 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 09:02 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,008,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
i guess you also do not mean people who are falsely getting disability checks .. i know several of those ...
Why don't you turn them in?

As such you are an accessory to this "crime".

But suppose you would rather "whine" about those "poor" people.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:17 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,797,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
My ex was a NY city detective. She arrested a perp for credit card fraud (stolen credit card).
When they went through his wallet they discovered 3 welfare IDs with his picture and 3 different names.
They were not allowed to do anything about the cards because it was federal jurisdiction. The only thing she could do was tape the cards together and drop them in a mailbox ( like they were lost).
She could have gotten in trouble for doing this. Some system!
Hmmm.

Fraud typically is a state issue. NY has a form to report fraud:

https://reportwelfarefraud.otda.ny.gov/

Old 03-14-2017, 12:59 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,639,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
My ex was a NY city detective. She arrested a perp for credit card fraud (stolen credit card).
When they went through his wallet they discovered 3 welfare IDs with his picture and 3 different names.
They were not allowed to do anything about the cards because it was federal jurisdiction. The only thing she could do was tape the cards together and drop them in a mailbox ( like they were lost).
She could have gotten in trouble for doing this. Some system!

Sorry, but I don't believe a word of this. Mind you, I'm not saying you're making it up - but I think your ex was not being honest with you. If it were true, there would have been nothing at all to prevent her from calling it in anonymously on the fraud prevention hotline as a private citizen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
And now we're back to ... if people would stop defending the people who shouldn't be defended... people who are able to work, women making babies they can't support, dead beat dads shirking their responsibilities knowing the tax payer will be forced to pay for them. These are the people who make everyone look bad. Stop defending them and support programs where they have to work like the rest of us.
And just exactly who is defending that? Go on - find one single post in this thread, or for that matter any other example anywhere else. Come back here and show it to us, and then - maybe - some of us will stop laughing at you and start to take you seriously.

Until then, you're just ranting and raving and talking out of your hindquarters about something you don't know a damned thing about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yet somehow able bodied people are able to get around them and the honest and truly disabled get doors slammed in their faces.

OK, if you're framing this in terms of people who are disabled, I assume you're talking about disability programs such as SSDI. And if that's the case, then it's just one more example of how you don't seem to have any idea of what you're talking about.

I don't think you have the slightest clue how difficult it is for most people to get approved for SSDI. We spent years helping a severely disabled family friend work through the process and get his SSDI approved, and it was literally a nightmare. I don't think I ever met anyone in my life who was more clearly and completely disabled than he was, and I could not believe the hoops he had to jump through.

After almost two years, the situation was finally resolved when the head of the state's SSDI field office called me and asked me to just lay it all out there for her, because she couldn't understand why his application had been rejected so many times. I walked her through the paperwork one step at a time, and at the end of the conversation she said this was as clearcut a case of disability as she had ever seen.

I asked her, "well, then why is this kid still eating nothing but Ramen noodles 2 days out of every 3 and having to go to the emergency room for vitamin deficiencies"? She told me straight out - "the system is set up to screen people out, not let them in. screeners are trained to click the checkboxes and disqualify people if they give the wrong answer to any question, regardless of whether the body of evidence shows that they are legitimately disabled." As we walked through it, she said something to the effect that if this case did not meet the standards for permanent disability, then she didn't know what SSDI was even supposed to be for. 2 days later, Gus called me at 8 PM and said, "what did you say to that woman? there's $16,000 in my checking account!" Keep in mind, that was after fighting for almost 3 years. Take a moment to reflect on how far 16K would go if you were almost 3 years behind on most of your bills. He was only rich for 2 or 3 days.

Point is, anyone who seriously thinks that all someone has to do is show up and say, "hey, I ain't feelin' well, cut me a check" has been listening to the wrong radio stations. Again. In most circumstances, it is extremely difficult even for people who are egregiously disabled to get approved without fighting for years - which is incredibly difficult for people who are so sick they can not even work at a 7-11. Of course there are some exceptions, but overwhelmingly, it's vastly more common for eligible people to be turned down than ineligible people to be approved.

You say this is an issue that is important to you... well, if it truly is, then I suggest you spend some time and energy learning more about it. Because with all due respect, I think you're woefully misinformed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It would be great if some of the people who cannot cope out in the workplace could be set up to do some kind of work from home. Sometimes that is the only problem- they cannot get out because of physical or mental issues but can be productive if they could work from their environment. Lots of autistic people are excellent with technology, and can communicate well through writing. Some people can barely walk or move well but they could do something remotely from home.
I think that would be stellar. Thank you, that was an excellent post.

I know at least one severely disabled person who is incredibly talented, intelligent, and creative and every now and then can probably have a month or two where he could do one hell of a lot of extremely innovative things. Trouble is, he never has any way of knowing when that month is going to be, because most months he needs me to come to his house ad balance his checkbook for him, because he can't do basic math that week.

He's autistic, and suffers from anxiety disorder in relation to that.

But, every now and then, things just fall into place, and everything just comes together and works
for a week or two, and... suddenly, out of nowhere, the kid can accomplish a hell of a lot in just a few days. He could never explain how and why it works that way, but it just does, and during those periods he makes me feel like an underachieving moron. I feel as though I'm being played with by some alien super-species.

And then, a couple of days later, he's calling us up and asking if one of us can come over and help him organize his refrigerator so that food doesn't spoil before he knows it's time to eat it.

Same dude.

Point of that is, most of the day to day that every single adult in our society has to deal with and takes for granted is light-years out of his orbit. Utterly incomprehensible to him, no matter how hard he tries and how many times he bangs his head against the wall; and believe you me this poor little bastard spends most of his waking hours banging his head against walls and trying desperately to understand why it doesn't get him any closer to understanding why it doesn't get him any closer to understanding his life.

So, yeah, you know... all the right-wingers in this thread... go ahead and keep telling everyone that it's all their fault, and that if they only tried harder to not be mentally ill then everything would work out the way it works out for you. But the fact is, none of you really have the slightest idea what you're taking about. Y'all seem to love sticking your chests out and boasting about how hard y'all are and how tough y'all are, and how everything that works in your lives works because you're so damned strong, but... if you had to switch places with some of the people I'm talking about, you probably wouldn't survive a month. Because you do not know what "tough" really means until you've had to be the kind of tough that they are.

But, ya know? I sincerely hope that someday you do. All of the right-wingers. I fervently hope that someday, you have the opportunity to learn what some of them have had no choice but to learn.

And if that day every comes for you, well... all I can say is, good luck to you.

And god help you.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:44 AM

6,456 posts, read 9,829,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by want to learn View Post
SO, yes, I guess living on Vets or Social Security Disability would count as living on welfare. I suspect that most of the people on disability would get food stamps and be eligible for Section 8 housing. So they maybe set for life.

(The reason for my question is I was wondering if my 43 year old cousin who hates to work could actually just stop working and go on welfare because he has no money or job. He is single, childless and has no physical or mental problems other than severe lazyness. Bottom line: Is it possible for someone who is childless and does not suffer from a mental or physical disability to just go on welfare and live their own version of the good life? FREE OF WORK!)

He should move to Columbia Maryland and see if he can find work!

Old 03-14-2017, 06:48 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,839,291 times
Not welfare, but I do know people on "disability" who live off of that money, get foodstamps, get Medicaid, and live in public housing.

I worked in public housing primarily with seniors and disabled individuals.

I'd say over 90% of the people who are disabled in public housing who receive all of the above (and who are under age 55) really do have a debilitating condition (mostly from psychotic mental illnesses or they were veterans and suffered from severe PTSD both groups IMO deserve our help and need to be taken care of). The other 8-10% are just working the system IMO.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:53 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,839,291 times
I'll note that the stereotypical minority "welfare queen" I've found to be extremely false. Prior to only working with the senior and disabled community in housing, I also worked in "family" housing which was predominantly single black mothers in metro Atlanta. Their average stay in public housing was less than 5 years. 97% of them worked and they didn't get any cash assistance like disability or TANF/AFDC "welfare" checks. They did get foodstamps and Medicaid for their kids though, not themselves as it wasn't allowed for non-disabled adults back then and single, working adults rarely got foodstamps back then either. But nearly all of them left housing because they didn't want to live in the projects. Most left and moved to privately owned/managed apartment communities that received tax credits and that offered cheaper rents than regular market rates. So they would go from paying $100-$250 a month to paying $500-$700 a month in rent. When they moved they still would qualify for foodstamps and Medicaid/CHIP for the kids. But they did not live entirely off of the system.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:53 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,259,052 times
my sister did for years after divorced from her fist husband. Quit every job she took after two months when the welfare benefits started to dry up and went back on welfare. Then she met her current husband a.k.a sugar daddy. Oh and she was a clinton supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by want to learn View Post
Everywhere I go now days people are talking about lazy people living on welfare. But other than one relative, I don't know anyone living totally on welfare.

(I am not talking about older people on Social Security)

I am not talking about someone getting a few hundred dollars in food stamps or Medicaid to help with their health care.

What I am talking about is someone who is being totally supported by the government. The government sends them a check for living expenses. Pays their rent, food and utilities. They don't work, they just sit home and relax and wait for the welfare checks to come in all paid by the taxpayers.

Do you know anyone like this and what is their story?

Old 03-14-2017, 06:56 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,981,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
i guess you also do not mean people who are falsely getting disability checks .. i know several of those ...
I'm skeptical of your claim and I am so tired of the judgmental attitude toward disability recipients. People say this all the time about others because they have no clue how disability works. And how do you know if someone is truly disabled or not? Are you a doctor? Are you that person's doctor? Then you don't know if that person "deserves" benefits. Most disabilities are invisible. Besides, it is very hard to get and keep it. The majority of applicants are never approved, they are never approved without a lawyer's assistance, and lawyers do not accept disability cases unless they are very strong. Even if a person wins their case for disability, they are subject to periodic review and if they do not prove that they are still completely disabled, their disability benefits are cut off.

I won my disability case the first time after hiring a lawyer. I just completed the review process to make sure I was still eligible for benefits, which involved me filling out two sets of paperwork ten+ pages each, and SS wanted all my medical records. After requesting them, they looked over everything for a two month period then determined I was still disabled. After determining that I should still receive them, they continued my benefits, but I will still be subject to review at any time as long as I am on them.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:22 AM

72 posts, read 73,692 times
The New Welfare- other than disability fraud- is moving in with your parents and living like you were 16 years old- in your adult years- but without going to school every day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies