Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 03:54 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Do you for one minute think everyone just loves going to work 5 days a week? Do you think others don't have difficult days at work? Do you not think other people get tired and just don't wanna? Of course, but these people are grown up enough to bite the bullet and do it. So your bother gets a pass? Is this the key.... act up, be a difficult person and the rest of us who just "love" working will pay their way?

By the way, my parents paid plenty of taxes and so does everyone one of their children. Just because your parents paid does not get him off the hook.
What the HELL are you talking about!

I'm quite familiar with working for a living. Seeing as how I did it for over 50 years.

You literally don't know what you are talking about.

Take your contempt and bestow it on someone who appreciates it. Thank you.

Last edited by jacqueg; 03-13-2017 at 04:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 03:57 PM

184 posts, read 144,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
My brother would love to work full-time. It's not his fault he was born on the spectrum. He's had many jobs, but can't keep them because he just does not understand how to get along with people and he cannot conform his behavior to an employer's expectations. It's not that he doesn't try - it's that he can't. People are pretty much a complete mystery to him. He depended on my mother while she was alive.

Both my parents, when they were living, and his other siblings have always worked and have paid plenty of taxes. I don't begrudge my brother, or any of the 100 or so other people living where he lives.
Hence my original post explaining the Autism spectrum. For someone not familiar with the disability, I can see how "on the spectrum" might not have been obvious that it was autism. But a simple "What disability does your brother have?" could have answered that.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:57 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Do you for one minute think everyone just loves going to work 5 days a week? Do you think others don't have difficult days at work? Do you not think other people get tired and just don't wanna? Of course, but these people are grown up enough to bite the bullet and do it. So your bother gets a pass? Is this the key.... act up, be a difficult person and the rest of us who just "love" working will pay their way?

By the way, my parents paid plenty of taxes and so does everyone one of their children. Just because your parents paid does not get him off the hook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
What the HELL are you talking about!

I'm quite familiar with working for a living. Seeing as how I did it for over 50 years.

You literally don't know what you are talking about.

Take your contempt and bestow it in someone who appreciates it. Thank you.
Wow, why so defensive? Did I say you were on welfare? Yet you ignore the questions.

- Do you for one minute think everyone just loves going to work 5 days a week?
- Do you think others don't have difficult days at work?
- Do you not think other people get tired and just don't wanna?

"As you know" (just being very clear so you don't get uptight), that everyone doesn't go to work always jumping for joy. I don't believe you said he is autistic, you said he can't do what the bosses want. Why do you give him a pass. You tried using the excuse "your parents paid plenty of taxes" but that doesn't mean he shouldn't contribute to society instead of taking.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:06 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Wow, why so defensive? Did I say you were on welfare? Yet you ignore the questions.

"As you know" (just being very clear so you don't get uptight), that everyone doesn't go to work always jumping for joy. I don't believe you said he is autistic, you said he can't do what the bosses want. Why do you give him a pass. You tried using the excuse "your parents paid plenty of taxes" but that doesn't mean he shouldn't contribute to society instead of taking.

My guess is it's because you're calling his brother a welfare case.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwick View Post
Hence my original post explaining the Autism spectrum. For someone not familiar with the disability, I can see how "on the spectrum" might not have been obvious that it was autism. But a simple "What disability does your brother have?" could have answered that.
hmm, learn something new every day. on the spectrum means autism. ok. but that doesn't change that I and many others have contempt for able bodied people living on welfare. As good people bust our asses at work. They hang out, do what ever and are forever demanding more handouts. Why would anyone expect that people would not get fed up with it.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwick View Post
I work in special education. On the spectrum means people vary in their degree of autism. Could be high functioning and able to hold a job. I know a few students like this. Could be low functioning and non verbal and completely dependent on others. I also know a few students like this. Could be somewhere in between the two - and that's where a large number on the spectrum lie, somewhere between those two extremes. It sounds an awful lot like her brother is closer to the lower end of the spectrum than the higher end. Meaning, he can bite the bullet all day long, but he is quite literally incapable of getting along with others and dealing with a difficult day. It's not that he chooses not to, it's that he can't. Being unable to change his behavior is part of his disorder. Autism is frequently diagnosed in conjunction with a speech impairment and/or an intellectual disability. So it's entirely likely that her brother may have a lower IQ, which would further impede his ability to function.

In case you have any desire to learn more about it, here is a link. https://www.autismspeaks.org/what-au...ostic-criteria
Thanks. My brother is indeed incapable of it. BTW, he never said that himself about himself. And I've never known a human being who tried harder to keep a job. It's like me, at 5'3" trying to be an NBA point guard. It wouldn't matter at all how much I wanted it or how hard I worked at it.

One job he kept for several years was as a mail courier on the midnight shift in a bank processing center. His boss, who understood him, was very upset when he had to fire him, but had no choice. It was a corporate decision to replace people with his job with robots.

Another job he kept for several years was as a temporary inventory taker. His supervisor there also understood people on the spectrum, and made sure to assign him accordingly. When she left - well, he wasn't fired, exactly. He just wasn't called in anymore.

I can't blame them, in fact they are heroes in my eyes. No one was paying them to be job coaches, they did it willingly and on their own.

The idea that he could run a business - well, it's laughable.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
My guess is it's because you're calling his brother a welfare case.
And now we're back to ... if people would stop defending the people who shouldn't be defended... people who are able to work, women making babies they can't support, dead beat dads shirking their responsibilities knowing the tax payer will be forced to pay for them. These are the people who make everyone look bad. Stop defending them and support programs where they have to work like the rest of us.

People don't mind helping, even want to help but NO ONE wants to be abused. And that's what these people are doing, they are abusing good, honest, hard working Americans.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:16 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,784,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
i guess you also do not mean people who are falsely getting disability checks .. i know several of those ...
Guy down the road from me is on SSDI yet manages to maintain a 1 acre garden and do side jobs for cash.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Ok, I can get that if it is the case but if it's just an excuse, I stand my ground. People are fed up with able bodied people on welfare, each having excuses from entitled, to making kids they can't afford to support (the list goes on). When you always have the government in your wallet, people are going to get fed up. What do you expect?

So the answer is people who take advantage of the system i.e., people taking advantage of the tax payer, should not be defended. By doing so, people become less sympathetic. Able bodied people should have to work even if they have kids. Working women have kids, why can't welfare moms. People are really sick of the welfare mentality.
And you think that because some take advantage, my brother - and the people who live where he is - must be taking advantage as well? What is wrong with your head????

I dare you to stand in front of his friend and neighbor who is confined to a stephen-hawking style wheelchair because of cerebral palsy and tell him he's taking advantage. Or his girl friend, who suffered brain damage at birth, and could never make it past first grade. I double dare you.

These people are some of the bravest and most admirable people I know.

Last edited by jacqueg; 03-13-2017 at 04:35 PM..

Old 03-13-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:

Oh come on. I said I worked for 50 years. Why are you asking me whether I was always "jumping for joy" when it came time to get up and go.

I said he was on the spectrum.

And he has always done his best to contribute.

You literally have no idea what you are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies