Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 04:24 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
My guess is it's because you're calling his brother a welfare case.
Not just a welfare case. A lying, scheming, lazy, cheating, malingering welfare case.

Not that it matters, but I'm a she.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 04:34 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,806,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
And you think that because some take advantage, my brother - and the people who've where he is - must be taking advantage as well? What is wrong with your head????

I dare you to stand in front of his friend and neighbor who is confined to a stephen-hawking style wheelchair because of cerebral palsy and tell him he's taking advantage. Or his girl friend, who suffered brain damage at birth, and could never make it past first grade. I double dare you.

These people are some of the bravest and most admirable people I know.
I get it.

My brother is on the spectrum. Very bright and verbal but doesn't pick up body language or nonverbal cues at all. Thank god he found a job in a mail room and has been there since he graduated high school over 30 years ago. If it hadn't been for that I don't know what would have happened. He has no common sense at all and is constantly being taken advantage of especially in romantic relationships. Yeah, the idea of his running a business is insane.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:35 PM

1,073 posts, read 622,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
I don't. The myth that people on welfare like being on it is silly. It is not a life of luxury, escalades, and lobster. Sure there are people that use welfare to supplement what little income they make but they at least work to some degree and those people generally do what they can to get off of welfare and many welfare systems have things in place to get people off of it, as a few of you have already stated.
Tend to agree with this

Old 03-13-2017, 04:35 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
"Do you know anyone completely living on government welfare?"

No, I do not.

I know some people who have taken some forms of welfare, particularly when they were down on their luck (out of a job or some other major familiar emergency) - but never "completely living on".

I question what kind of life that would even be and whether someone would even want it...

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 03-13-2017 at 05:00 PM..

Old 03-13-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I with you on that. Our family never took help. After my 76yo mother had a massive stroke and needed 24/7 care we tried to get her help but she was just above the income limit of poverty ($5.82 above) and doors slammed in her face, no help. Mom can barely walk and if she does, it's all of to the bathroom, rest and back and believe me she'd rather work than live like this.

And then we have a cd member who accepts behavioral issues as an acceptable reason to get welfare while an 76 yo elderly woman who can't walk can't get any help. There's something majorly wrong with the system.
The rules are this strict because people LIKE YOU demand that they be strict.

It's hard to get help. Doesn't your own experience tell you this????

And my brother, just like your mother, would rather be working.

I know. How about YOU hire him, and YOU be his job coach?

Or, if you're not in the Orange County, CA area, how about YOU go out of your way to help a person on the spectrum have a job? Then you'll know what you're talking about, and you'll be a part of the solution.

Last edited by jacqueg; 03-13-2017 at 05:06 PM..

Old 03-13-2017, 04:44 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
I know no one who has ever been on welfare. I've known parents, including my own employed parents who both worked and supported our family, who fed their children beans and cornbread during rough economic times rather than ask government for assistance. Almost every family has rough financial times at some time in their lives.

My siblings and I turned out well, including having college educations and careers. So did my friends. Receiving welfare was an embarrassment until recently.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 03-13-2017 at 05:10 PM..

Old 03-13-2017, 05:05 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
The rules are this strict because people LIKE YOU demand that they be strict.

It's hard to get help. Doesn't your own experience tell you this????

And my brother, just like your mother, would rather be working.

I know. How about YOU hire him, and YOU be his job coach?
Yet somehow able bodied people are able to get around them and the honest and truly disabled get doors slammed in their faces.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:08 PM

35,704 posts, read 21,063,743 times
what was the point of this thread?

Old 03-13-2017, 05:09 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
And now we're back to ... if people would stop defending the people who shouldn't be defended... people who are able to work, women making babies they can't support, dead beat dads shirking their responsibilities knowing the tax payer will be forced to pay for them. These are the people who make everyone look bad. Stop defending them and support programs where they have to work like the rest of us.

People don't mind helping, even want to help but NO ONE wants to be abused. And that's what these people are doing, they are abusing good, honest, hard working Americans.

I'm not defending people who abuse the system. Where did you see me type that?

Old 03-13-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I get it.

My brother is on the spectrum. Very bright and verbal but doesn't pick up body language or nonverbal cues at all. Thank god he found a job in a mail room and has been there since he graduated high school over 30 years ago. If it hadn't been for that I don't know what would have happened. He has no common sense at all and is constantly being taken advantage of especially in romantic relationships. Yeah, the idea of his running a business is insane.
Your brother is lucky to have found this job, and kudos to the company that continues to employ him so that he feels like a real person. They're obviously really good folks, because he is undoubtedly not the easiest-to-manage employee they have.

And kudos to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies