Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: We are all immigrants in America
YES 53 25.00%
NO 159 75.00%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 03:55 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nam2015 View Post
You are descendant of refugees, what settlers from Scotland? Either they left because of religion, politics or pure hunger. But it's fine if you want to romanticize your origins.
North America was not a country when my first relative arrived in 1700. His reasons for leaving Scotland are unknown, but he was among the first to settle this land before it was a country.

I don't romanticize my ancestors. I could care less about them as they are unknown to me. One of my relatives did the research and it was interesting. Nothing more.

The thread title, however, asked if we are all immigrants and I don't consider myself an immigrant in any way. The people, like my relative, who came before me built this country and made America what it is today.

By the way, none of my line were very success financially. They managed to breed and die in the Civil War for the Union and the Confederacy, but didn't ever accumulate any wealth in over 300 years. Maybe that says something about the Scots!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 06:37 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,001,526 times
If you're of European descent: you come from immigrants. Your ancestors didn't "settle" the land because the Native Americans had already "settled" it about 12,000+ years earlier. Your ancestors are no different than Mexicans hopping the border now, so there's no need to get high-handed when speaking on these issues. Most Mexicans crossing the border have significant Native ancestry and their origins in the New World pre-date 99% of those that are calling them "moochers." If your people are came to Ellis Island as Italians, Irish, German etc., exit the conversation.

Native people and black Americans are the only groups that should be speaking on matters like this. Natives settled the land and blacks contributed FAR more (despite being forced here) than other white groups RELATIVE TO WHAT THEY RECEIVED IN RETURN ...who merely took some crap for one generation and then became generic white people once they assimilated. Blacks were treated as second-class citizens even in WWII despite having already been apart of the nation (and fighting its wars) for 300+ years at that point. No Asian or European group has dealt with such prolonged hatred despite numerous displays of true patriotism.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
In regards to science and industry, Europeans were generally ahead of much of the world and it was inevitable they would migrate and eventually overwhelm less developed parts of the world. Like people do, they would war, kill, advance, at time enslave, build, take advantage of, and love other peoples they came into contact with.

The world continues to become more blended. Some 'clumps' of people resist the blending but like diffusion and osmosis, it will inevitably continue until equilibrium is reached. It may take another 10 generations or another 1000 but it will happen.

Weather you choose to call something immigration or migration or something else is largely dependent on ones point of view but the overall picture is still the melting pot being stirred.
Honestly the Arabs and Chinese were a bit more advanced than Europeans. The difference is that middle class European young men that were not first-born/only children weren't likely to inherit their father's estate. It made more sense for them to strike out and try to obtain fortune through other means.

The Europeans' (Spanish/Portuguese) brought smallpox and wiped out 90% of the Native Americans before the English and French ever arrived. A fully populated North and South America would have been much harder for the Euros to conquer.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Those "conquerors" you are whining about gave you this country and the freedom to post your snarky remarks.

So there's that.
Those "conquerors" gave my ancestors 250 years of bondage, Black Codes, Jim Crow and lynchings. My ancestors gave me freedom (fighting in numerous wars and surviving all the crap thrown at them), not some racist windbag in a powdered wig.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaskingIguana View Post
White people may not be indigenous to the Americas, but they are the founders of this country, which makes them indigenous to this country. American Indians are indigenous to the land but not this country.

This is a very important distinction that first needs to be made.

The second point that needs to be made, the liberal talking point that we're all immigrants or descended from immigrants and therefore need to allow in more immigrants - is just so dumb, I'm surprised people take it seriously.

No white people came to the land and said "this is the United States of America."

So Mexicans are coming here now and saying...."no, this is North Mexico." I don't really see the difference and anyone that does is a hypocrite!

Old 03-19-2017, 06:51 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,886,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by want to learn View Post
When there is an article about illegal immigration, someone will tell us that everyone in America is an immigrant and as a result we should be more open minded. Do you agree, are you and the majority of people you know immigrants?
Misleading poll and most are 5 or 6 generations in from our fore fathers who set foot in America legally. However we are a country of Laws and Managed Immigration. We even have borders that we should enforce and protect.

We are not a country of open borders.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:56 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
No white people came to the land and said "this is the United States of America."

So Mexicans are coming here now and saying...."no, this is North Mexico." I don't really see the difference and anyone that does is a hypocrite!
Clearly, the difference is that the people occupying the land now, have the ability to say "No".

That is a big difference right there.

Either way, Mexicans don't come her because they want the land back. If we gave them back Texas, knocked down everything Americans built, and moved the border up to Oklahoma and New Mexico, they would STILL be coming here illegally. And Texas would turn into another wasteland across the Mexican border.

They are not trying to sneak onto our land. They are trying to sneak into our economy.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaskingIguana View Post
First of all, those White European settlers are not immigrants. They didn't ask for anyone's permission and there was no country to make them legal or illegal, basically the land was free for the taking and the Indians lived without any concept of landownership and were sparsely spread out throughout Northern America.

Next, it's a moronic point to begin with. Let's transpose what you wrote =>

Since I occasionally speed, and you occasionally speed, we SHOULD be open minded to speeders.

That's not how it works, immigration can re-evaluated every single year, because the only purpose of immigrants is for the benefit of the locals.
Native Americans had territories and nations...different concept of ownership but there were recognized boundaries for various ethnic groups.

The white immigrants (not settlers because you can't settle land were people already exist) came in like squatters and just decided it was theirs. Disease and guns allowed them to enforce that right.

No different than me sitting in your front lawn and claiming it JGN-Istan in the name of God and my fore-fathers. Just because your American "law" says it's not legal doesn't mean that I don't have a mandate from God to spread my culture and seed throughout your lawn. It's my land and it's my job to civilize you. Your concept of "ownership" is invalid and doesn't count because I said so.

See how ridiculous that sounds....just imagine how it must have been for the Natives.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:58 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
[snip]

Native people and black Americans are the only groups that should be speaking on matters like this. Natives settled the land and blacks contributed FAR more (despite being forced here) than other white groups RELATIVE TO WHAT THEY RECEIVED IN RETURN ...who merely took some crap for one generation and then became generic white people once they assimilated. Blacks were treated as second-class citizens even in WWII despite having already been apart of the nation (and fighting its wars) for 300+ years at that point. No Asian or European group has dealt with such prolonged hatred despite numerous displays of true patriotism.
Yes, of course, blacks are far more important than anybody else who came to America, as always. The most mistreated and maligned.

Blacks are not the topic of this thread, jgn. Start another topic thread if you want to whine about blacks and disparage whites, please.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:59 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,901,347 times
I prefer the Jewy defense, the loophole of traveling for many miles then claiming random land bestowed upon me from God.

God wanted European men in America. It's our land. Why else would God lead us here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies