Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2017, 08:25 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,437,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I wonder how many of those who need meals on wheels voted for Trump.
If they cant leave their homes to get food, probably not too many of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 08:26 PM

13,247 posts, read 7,300,036 times
Most of these federal funded programs are operated by people who get paid giant salary but the books are made to look like they don't make any profit. The entire program was thought up by someone who was connected in washington they sell it to the stupid news media. Lot of these non-profits have lobbyist working for them who used to be in government. Dems usually end up in these places just like GOP ends up working for defense company.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:29 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,437,408 times
[quote=kell490;47545957]I never understood why we are subsidizing amtrak why don't we bring back the stage coach subsudize that too some good information here about it https://www.usnews.com/opinion/artic...-the-1-percent

An estimated 99 percent of Americans don't use the Northeast corridor at all. Those who do, as Amtrak boasts, are "highly educated, affluent and influential": 92 percent have college degrees and their average household income is well above the national median, clocking in at $170,000 a year. Yet, taxpayers are still on the hook for subsidizing $60 of each Amtrak ticket to fund the travel of the wealthy and well-connected.[/QUOTE

That also begs the question re how many seniors getting meals from Meals on Wheels could either pay more, or have adult children who could pay more for the convenience of having meals delivered to their parents.

Having had to feed my parents during temporary illnesses, I acknowledge it is a huge inconvenience/pain in the rear to have to do that. But, if a resource had been available that my parents would accept if I could have paid for it I would. Much of this so called problem may be solved by the adult children of the people getting meals simply paying more for delivery. I'm ok with that.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:32 PM

13,247 posts, read 7,300,036 times
food is not expensive in this country no one is starving yes if you want to eat expensive you can. Lots of delivery services if someone isn't able to get to a store and buy food they should be in assisted living home anyway.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:33 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,928,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Trump could stay home two weekends in a row and Meals on Wheels could be fully funded. What heartless folly.
Although every first family deserves the same security, don't forget to add the $400,000 a day ($12 million a month) it costs as long as Melania lives in New York. Any time she flies from New York to meet her husband, whether in FL or Washington D.C., it only adds to that cost.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:34 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/15/u...cuts.html?_r=0

In addition to the cuts at the E.P.A. and the State Department, Mr. Trump’s team is expected to propose a wide array of cuts to public education, to transportation programs like Amtrak and to the Department of Housing and Urban Development, including the complete elimination of the $3 billion Community Development Block Grant program, which funds popular programs like Meals on Wheels, housing assistance and other community assistance efforts.

I remember my husband's 99 year old grandmother getting meals from them. Guess she should have gone out and gotten a job!

Maybe you and your husband could have made sure Granny ate.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:34 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,526,694 times
These are the Trump voters who are going to be hurt the MOST by Trump's policies and budget. For whatever reason (white) people do not like to acknowledge the issues facing poor white Americans. Drug addiction, food insecurity, poverty, abuse....its all very taboo.

These people bought Trump's dog and pony show and will suffer the most. So sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lKx26ve1H8

Old 03-17-2017, 08:42 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,526,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
food is not expensive in this country no one is starving yes if you want to eat expensive you can. Lots of delivery services if someone isn't able to get to a store and buy food they should be in assisted living home anyway.
There are MANY elderly Americans who are living on very small Social Security benefit payments less than $700 month.

And do YOU know how much assisted living facilities cost? And who pays for that?

The national median monthly rate for a one-bedroom unit in an assisted living facility is $3,500, according to the 2014 Cost of Care Survey released in April by Genworth Financial Inc. of Richmond, Virginia. That's $42,000 per year.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:47 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,928,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
food is not expensive in this country no one is starving yes if you want to eat expensive you can. Lots of delivery services if someone isn't able to buy food they should be in assisted living home anyway.
Do you know what it costs for one year in assisted living? The average in the U.S. is $42,000 a year.

Also, assisted living or long term care is for sick people or those who cannot perform many activities of daily living which include feeding oneself, going to the toilet, getting dressed, getting in and out of bed, etc. It has nothing to do with being able to buy food.

I do agree that food doesn't need to be expensive. It's my birthday week, so I am pigging out, but I usually eat a lot of black beans & rice. I have no sympathy for people who drink a lot of soda or drink beer and smoke and then can't afford a simple meal. However, that's not what we're discussing on this thread. Many older people are trying to live on less than $1,000 a month.

If you meant public housing (not assisted living) there are often very long waiting periods. Depending on where you live, there might not be any subsidized housing available.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:47 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,726,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
Thats exactly what the 1/2 of the top 1% want you to do-

pitch the middle class against the bottom, the poor-

Its not going to make the middle class any stronger or any more well off--

the money is being reallocated elsewhere- its not like its going to fund free college education for our teenagers (who can test into college, so are "deserving")....

You think by starving out the poor and not providing basic healthcare (you think the flu, tuberculosis, West nile virus, what have you, cares how much money you make? )....
you make the plight of the middle class any better?

this country runs off cheap labor- and the Trump administration is making sure Labor Laws will be weakened ...(who needs safe working environments, layoff laws, Overtime anyway, right?)...

These cuts hurt EVERYONE.
Too late... the middle class has been well aware of everything the "poor" get at no cost while the middle class slave away to support their families and subsidizes the poor.

Obviously you just don't want to LISTEN to the complaints. People like you just don't want to acknowledge it for some reason... could the reason be?.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies