Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2017, 06:03 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
What has Trump done for you lately?

If your name is Putin, then he's your boy.

The rest of us, not so much.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 06:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I personally worked for the Federal Government in a War far, far away and a long time ago ('Nam 66-67 Mekong River Rat). The FedGov is helping me with the side effects of Agent Orange. I expect either The Donald or some Republican cheapskate to remove that soon. After all what good does an ageing Veteran do for Bannon the Bastard or his spawn.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:44 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
While I realize this is just another pointless bash Trump thread in an unending series of the same, for me it's actually pretty easy to answer.

Not a die-hard Trump fan, but the mood of the small business community where I am has turned overnight from despair and just trying to keep their business operating to survive and endure for the past 8 years, to looking to expand or they're doing work that was put off until now.

One friend of mine had a fabulous idea for a new business that would recycle garbage into salable products. It was a great plan, lots of support, in November of 2012 he had investors lined up that flat out said if Romney won, the check would be in his hands the next day. Obama won, the investors disappeared.

I spoke to him yesterday and those same investors that were hiding their assets under Obama are back and ready to play now, and that new business will get it's start up money and be producing and creating jobs within the next 6 months to a year.

To counter that, a friend of mine that owns a sporting goods store for the last 8 years hasn't been able to get or keep any ammunition on his shelves, and firearms were going out about as fast as he could get them.
Since Trump won, he's able to restock his ammunition, his gun sales have fallen back to pre Obama levels. He was making money hand over fist under Obama and everytime Obama brought up gun control, there would be a rush on his business, but since Trump isn't threatening the Constitution, people feel more secure, so gun sales are down.

As a small businessman, and working with other small businesses, Trump has opened up opportunity and revitalized people to where they believe they can actually earn more, and not have it confiscated.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks. I too have experience working for a large corporation and also as a small business owner. I did well with both, but I also suffered the ups and downs that you attribute to Obama vs Trump. I don't attribute those ups and downs to either. Going back a good many decades before Obama as well, any business person knows that much depends on how the economy is doing regardless the POTUS, and how the economy is going usually takes some time before re-establishing direction from boom to bust, bust to boom.

You see all those investors ducking when Obama took office, but no mention of how the economy was doing when Obama took office. I view that as a mistake that leads to misguided conclusions. I too withdrew from investing about then, after seeing my existing investments and home value cut in half! But I didn't withdraw because of Obama. Just about anyone regardless of political leaning withdrew from investing, because the economy was in free fall. Remember?

You also don't make any mention about yourself, personally, but rather the business community and investors who I would honestly suggest are far more optimistic about economic upswings over conservative administrations, though everyone is always happy about the prospect of paying lower taxes. I have done very well and/or lost a good amount of money before, during Obama's administrations. Now too under Trump I too am making more money because the market is up.

That's true for me personally. You? Most Americans? That is really the more specific question I had in mind when I started this thread. How much do we vote because of what we THINK/FEEL is going on around us, vs directly to us, for us? That's what I'm getting at here...

PS: Please, not again with the guns, but if necessary. Did YOU PERSONALLY change your gun buying behavior because of Obama and/or Trump? Lots of people do, but most people don't. You? And this matters how much in the grand scheme of things to you personally?

Old 03-21-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
He toned down the individual mandate in that whether you carried insurance isn't required to be placed on our tax return

My husband didn't have insurance last year so otherwise, wed' owe hundreds of dollars

And still may owe it...

Good specific, but ultimately these requirements, details are what determines what we ultimately pay for health care one way or another, as a whole. Are you convinced you will be better off all considered going forward rather than under the ACA in terms of access to health care when needed and what you pay for what you get, personally? If yes, why?

Might help to know why your husband had no insurance last year and why that changes for the better going forward. Needless to say, if anyone can't or doesn't pay into health insurance, there is nothing I know about that is an improvement for them under Trump's yet-to-emerge plan vs the ACA. In fact, the GOP is less accepting of anyone getting health care benefits who doesn't contribute toward the cost one way or another. Right?

Old 03-21-2017, 10:00 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Curious, although I know it hasn't been long that Trump has been POTUS, who can offer evidence proof-positive that what Trump has done or wants to do will help YOU personally and tangibly? For example, no rhetoric about just "making America great again," or safer against terrorism, or general positive economic news...

What can anyone claim is now better for them personally, quantifiably? For example, better health care, lower health care costs, a new job, higher pay. If nothing yet, what is it you foresee in the future, better for you personally and why?

Concrete specifics only please. Plenty generalities enough in these threads for those who prefer more of that same old rhetorical dance in the dark...
JFK "Ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country."

I don't vote based upon what helps me specifically.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:05 AM

624 posts, read 370,935 times
Keeping those refugees OUT. Getting rid of illegals. Enforcing the immgration law.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Enforcing immigration law, allowing ICE, border patrol and local law enforcement to do their jobs.

They are turning our town into a 3rd world dump. Citizens are moving out, we just sold our house. Schools here rate 3 out of 10. When my son with special needs was in school, English as a Second Language took priority over his needs for speech therapy as the ESL came out of the Special Education budget. Now, he is an adult. Because of the drain by the illegal aliens (using the emergency room at 3 times the rate of a USA citizen and covered by Medicaid which includes maternity costs for anchor babies), Medicaid services keep cutting funding for the disabled and the elderly.

It is too early to really judge most of what Trump will do in his 8 years as POTUS, but he has done more positive things for our country in 2 months than Obama in 8 years, that looks darn promising!

It comes down to "nationalism", preserving our nation versus being the doormat to the world, and that has a direct effect on every citizen.
I see comments started coming in a bit more specific, thoughtful and reasoned after I signed off yesterday. Much to catch up on this morning upon my return...

Your story seems to be a common conservative story, and you seem to believe that what Trump says and does will actually make a difference, for your town for example. Will it? If so, I have to assume you are explaining that your town has been populated with illegal immigrants. Is that right? Have you, personally, had those problems getting attention at ER? I haven't, nor have I heard this from anyone I know. Both my nephew and niece-in-law having each visited ER very recently, and and they don't live in a well-to-do area.

I share your concerns about the ranking of your schools, since we too were very concerned about that when we were raising our kids, but..., their high school had a rating of 10, and our town never experienced what you are describing is your experience. Our good friend is a Hispanic and teaches in a school that is not so highly rated. Her daughter also is a special needs child who is now onto college with the help of special grants and assistance.

How much of any of this can be directly attributed to Obama or Trump as compared to where we live perhaps?

As realtors love to argue, value is all about "location, location, location."

Old 03-21-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
I have experienced a 30% increase in high end, long term custom orders for my metal shop. EVERY customer stated that they would not even have considered placing the order had Trump lost. So, I expected the reality or perceived attitudinal change of a Trump victory to enhance my bottom line and it has by about $4500 since Jan 1.
Again...

I know conservatives just love to make it sound like there decision to buy or not buy, invest or not, has everything to do with the candidate of their choice (or the opposite), and good for you either way if now you are seeing an upswing for your business. Also my compliments for providing another good personal specific...

I wonder, however, if you really think people the likes you describe have not also done the same or benefitted financially under presidents not as much to their liking. Given the way the economy began to move upward as the economy recovered under Obama, you should have started to see your business improve before Trump as well. No?

Again, having been in business all my career, I have done well (or not) through all versions of what we might call liberal and/or conservative administrations. I am not someone who sees the president as the cause of these ups and downs over economic circumstances driven by so many other factors.

Why?

Maybe because I seriously studied business and economics before I actually started my working career. I know better.

Here's to more high end orders coming your way well into the future either way!

Old 03-21-2017, 10:19 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,370,331 times
It isn't so much what Trump has done but more what the liberal Democrats have done to get in the way of everything.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
My IRA has been increasing monthly since Trump was elected for one thing. Stock market steady gains.
Yes. Mine too, and maybe that is what all Trump supporters are enjoying as well, or most of them, or...

Is the improvement for those who HAVE investments what those who HAVE NOT had in mind?

If enough people benefit from market gains, enough Americans, then maybe the sum total of those weighing in here is truly representative of what good Trump is doing for America, specifically, but I've got to wonder given what we all know is the average net worth of average Americans. Right?

And perhaps this is why far more people are far more focused on the health care legislation rather than how the DJIA does...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies