Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 07:36 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Because, there will be no border wall along the Rio Grande River. That is a natural mote, as long as we are not in a drought.
You going to build a wall on the Mexico side, Texas side or down the middle of the river bed?
LOL!
I suppose the Rio Grande River can be considered as a moat, but it's not very wide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 07:39 PM

62,962 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I don't know how anyone can justify paying over $20 billion (the original $12 to 15 billion estimate keeps increasing) for a wall while cutting programs to feed the poor and provide medical insurance to the neediest Americans.

Yeah, much better to continue paying $113 billion a year for the upkeep of illegal aliens.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
True, but we should be going after the violent criminals. Isn't that what Trump promised to do? We've been deporting grandmothers, immigrants who served in our military and Gold Star families.

Having Served in U.S. Military, Immigrants Fight Deportation Orders

I'm not only criticizing President Trump, by the way. There were millions of deportations under Obama too. We need to stop illegal immigration and deport people who do not belong here. However, there are many non-citizens who have contributed greatly to our country and their communities. I think serving in the U.S. Military should be a quick path to citizenship.

"Jesus Manuel Valenzuela 74, of Colorado Springs, was a lance corporal in the Marines. In 2009, he received a notice that he was to be removed from the country based on an arrest more than two decades ago on a misdemeanor drunk and disorderly charge."

Illegals are more than just non-citizens and they aren't plain ole "immigrants" either. Legal immigrants are non-citizens also so don't blur those lines. What grandmothers did Trump deport? Thanks for at least posting a link as to why this man who served in our military was deported. Why is it even a question why he was deported then? Gold Star families? WTH are they?

By the way, our immigration laws dictate that all illegal aliens are to be deported not just a select few. If an American grandmother commits a crime in this country do they get a pass on our laws just because they are grandmothers?

Old 03-20-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The wall is a fetish. It's like a child's blanket, they feel they need it to feel safe when that's not really the case. If we enforced the law, something the nativists crow about 24/7,why do we need a wall? It's a feel good measure to.mske them sleep soundly at night, that's my opinion. You don't need a wall when you have ICE and BP doing their job, and they're doing it now. Also enlisting state police (I don't trust the municipal cops and the sheriff's) to help and be charged with making immigration arrests will do A LOT MORE than a wall

Well if walls don't work as a deterrant then let's just tear down the existing walls on the border and why not tear down the walls around our homes and businesses also. A physical barrier helps the Border Patrol do their jobs more effectively. I have posted links in here several times proving that where there is a good wall on the border it has cut back illegal immigration significantly. Those who don't want it have a vested interest in illegal immigration. They fool no one.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:01 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,496,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yeah, much better to continue paying $113 billion a year for the upkeep of illegal aliens.
Please refrain the 113 billion price tag. That came from fair and is grossly high on the estimate every other entity that has looked into the issue both on the right and the left. To justify the cost of a wall vs. savings would need to start with a more valid study.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I can't believe that thought never occurred to me. I'm the biggest skeptic there is when it comes to politicians and their promises, but even I thought Trump believed he could actually build this wall. Your idea makes a lot more sense, especially considering the fact that Trump seems to have forgotten about it already.

Are you serious? Try to keep up with the news, will you? Trump has a deadline of March 29 for bids and plans on building the wall. There have been articles posted in here about it. It is just wishful thinking on the part of the pro-illegals that he has forgotten about building the wall.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Please refrain the 113 billion price tag. That came from fair and is grossly high on the estimate every other entity that has looked into the issue both on the right and the left. To justify the cost of a wall vs. savings would need to start with a more valid study.

What's not valid about it? Oh, it's not a liberal site? They include their sources and methodology in their study.

Illegal Immigration a $113 Billion a Year Drain on U.S. Taxpayers

Old 03-20-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Are you serious? Try to keep up with the news, will you? Trump has a deadline of March 29 for bids and plans on building the wall. There have been articles posted in here about it. It is just wishful thinking on the part of the pro-illegals that he has forgotten about building the wall.
I am not pro-illegal. Nor am I disingenuous. The 113 billion that you cite is a worst case scenario based on assumptions. Even most conservative think tanks cite a lowere number. When you justify the cost of the wall based on the cost of illegal immigrants then you have gone down the road of proving that out fiscally. Otherwise you just built the bridge to nowhere.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I am not pro-illegal. Nor am I disingenuous. The 113 billion that you cite is a worst case scenario based on assumptions. Even most conservative think tanks cite a lowere number. When you justify the cost of the wall based on the cost of illegal immigrants then you have gone down the road of proving that out fiscally. Otherwise you just built the bridge to nowhere.

Are you pro-amnesty and perhaps anti-deportation for all illegals as our laws dictate? I have plenty of links stating what illegals cost us and some of them do differ but the $25 billion wall is a bargain compared to any of those stats unless you think that illegals cost us little to nothing. I think you know better than that. Those stats don't even include loss of jobs, reduced wages, overcrowded schools, jail, hospitals, neighborhoods and roads that illegal aliens are causing us.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Are you pro-amnesty and perhaps anti-deportation for all illegals as our laws dictate? I have plenty of links stating what illegals cost us and some of them do differ but the $25 billion wall is a bargain compared to any of those stats unless you think that illegals cost us little to nothing. I think you know better than that. Those stats don't even include loss of jobs, reduced wages, overcrowded schools, jail, hospitals, neighborhoods and roads that illegal aliens are causing us.
Actually the FAIR estimate you cit does. You should read your sources more carefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies