Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 11:00 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,338,258 times

Advertisements

Sounds like Democrat propaganda to me. Typical scare tactics employed. They always do that.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:02 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,787,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
So what happens when something unexpected happens with your health and hospital bill is $200K and is not covered?
I have not had that. So that's what I think health insurance should cover. These items are mandated by Obamacare. What you are asking is what health insurance should be covered, something unexpected.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
Yup- it didn't happen to me so it can't happen to anyone; until they or someone they know gets cancer, leukemia, has a genetic defect, then suddenly they want every benefit under the sun. I mean why have people see a doctor annually to screen for cancer, hypertension, diabetes, hear disease, etc...why not just wait until its so noticeable its an emergency and exponentially more serious and expensive...
They don't screen this yearly. I just finally got an annual blood test and he is not requesting it next year. So if you are in a case of high user, you know. Like my sister.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:06 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,813,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Early detection as an annual exam? That's all they did. My doctor used to do urine test now he doesn't. He said it's not necessary. So we wasted so many years of doing urine test. Then mammogram yearly since I started 40. They found nothing either. The yearly exam is basically useless. I might have something but it's not discovered. False positive. But the doctor likes to push for drugs just in case.
Glad your mammos have been clear. Would you rather find out you have stage 1 or stage 4 breast cancer?

Old 03-23-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
so because nothing happened to you it can't happen to anyone? Your one anecdotal experience serves to set policy for 300MM+ people? do you maybe see how that's insane?

Then again this what people base their world view on and then we end up with Trump as POTUS, so I guess I shouldn't be shocked anymore...
I think this is one type of plan that is offered. If you use more, you purchase a higher plan. Same as in Obamacare now. We not talking about a policy for all 300M people, it's nice to generalize, it's only for 7% of the population, its individual market, not for employer's plan. But this is an option for some young healthy people. If you are reasonably healthy, you have choices.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Glad your mammos have been clear. Would you rather find out you have stage 1 or stage 4 breast cancer?
They don't have to have it yearly. In fact, I've read recently, they changed for the requirement for yearly mammogram. We have to find ways to reduce cost. You can't be a scare monger and expect to find stage 4 breast cancer in every woman. No history of breast cancer in my family. And Ffrom what I've read, people who have kids under either 35 or 30 have reduced risk and also for people who have breastfed.
I think it's more cost effective to do a test to see if you are a carrier of that gene before the yearly mammogram.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:15 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,918,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Looks like the hard right wants to kill healthcare insurance all together by removing the requirement to provide essential components.

ESSENTIAL health benefits.

Inpatient care
pre and post natal care.
Mental health and substance use
Your prescription drugs
rehabilitation, (massive amount in here)
lab tests
Preventive care..
chronic disease management. (so most pre existing conditions WILL cost more )
Pediatric services
emergency room

(that is my cut down quick list the real one has vastly more in it)

This is last second plan to allow insurers to sell "hollow" insurance to consumers will end up as a race to the bottom This will result in everyone having to be an insurance expert and a doctor just to buy insurance
This is perhaps the worst possible way insurance could ever be sold. Consumers will be forced to drill down and fully understand every single word in the fine print to buy insurance.

The Republican plan to gut essential health benefits is truly disastrous for all Americans - LA Times

This would be worse than it was before Obamacare, poeple will buy insurance, try to use it, only to find buried in the small print almost everything is excluded. Shifting the costs back to the buyer. Most people will NOT be able to navigate the obstacle courses that insurers will build to hide the lack of coverage.

Remember one of the huge wins for Obamacare was capping the percentage PROFIT insurers could take. Trumpcare will allow them to sell you plans that are all profit almost no cover. This is what the GOP wanted all along, a clean path to getting back to ripping off Americans.

ObamaCare Essential Health Benefits full list of what is considered "essential"...
Those might be "essential" to you but not to me. I had a vasectomy in my 30's so I don't need any pre or post natal coverage. No mental health issues in my family history so that's not needed. I don't do any type of drugs and I rarely drink so substance abuse coverage isn't on my essential list.....Like in auto coverage, I will pick and choose what I want. Current health insurers will sell just like State Farm and Allstate sell car and homeowners insurance. New insurance companies will appear to compete like Esurance and Geico have done.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:19 AM

Good point, I have no kids left, no pedriatric emergency rooms either.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:22 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,128,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Let's see...a thread started by a Trump hater with links to the biased liberal LA Times and an Obamacare facts site.

This thread couldn't possibly be biased, could it?
Why don't you do your own research instead of claiming everything is alternative facts or biased or Trump hating conspiracy? It's all over the news!

America's lives are at stake here, just wake the heck up or check out of the board entirely... in the meantime, you're ignored bigly!

Old 03-23-2017, 11:30 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,646,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Early detection as an annual exam? That's all they did. My doctor used to do urine test now he doesn't. He said it's not necessary. So we wasted so many years of doing urine test. Then mammogram yearly since I started 40. They found nothing either. The yearly exam is basically useless. I might have something but it's not discovered. False positive. But the doctor likes to push for drugs just in case.
OH bs one of my best friends had a breast scan that saved her life. she was 30s no signs at all. screening caught it just in time. She had to fight to survive, they researched everything and got the best care in the world. but all that would have been meaningless without the free screening she got.

Meanwhile turns out her buddy just found herself in the same spot, and again purely a scan. She too dod not feel it or see no signs at all. We don't yet know how it will play out for her, but at least she has a fighting chance.

And last but not least. Almost a decade back my neighbor did not have insurance, she found her breast cancer very late, and while she lived, they lost their home. (i have posted this a number of times this is not something i am making up to be "right")

you should be delighted that your checkup is "useless" to you. That is a life win. Take your win and stop complaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies