Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2017, 07:53 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
It's not "political suicide." There is no viable alternative to the GOP at this point. I wish it weren't so, but today's Democrat Party is a fringe party made up of loons and hippies from assorted special interest groups. Their important issues are who uses which bathroom, what drugs people can use, and climate change. Most normal people don't care about these issues, or the constant identity politics, because they are too busy trying to make a living and raise their kids.

Today's liberals are so out of touch with working class Americans it is laughable.
I think you are so angry with the GOP, you can't think straight. Republicans are the only ones who are obsessed with social issues like "bathrooms" and tapping feet in the other stall. Look at the states with GOP governors/legislators who spending more time on "bathrooms" than helping with job creation for their constituents.

It's time to work together to fix Obamacare instead of taking coverage away from 24 million Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 07:55 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,450,383 times
If Obamacare is still the law of the land, the dems still own the debacle. There's a reason why they lost over 1000 seats of governance in the last 8 years.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:56 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpshooterTom View Post
This war is not over yet, don't be counting your chickens too early here. GOP still has 2 years with this congress. I would expect them to try again next year, the pressure will be immense as frustration grows and somebody has cave whether it be the freedom caucus or moderates. This bill has died as it was rushed but the dream of repealing/replacing Obamacare isn't over just yet.

No, the GOP will not try again next year as 2018 is a mid-term election cycle.

If you think GOP members didn't have the balls to pass this dog of a "repeal/replace" now, why would they do so when an election is several months away.

Even is so called "safe" districts GOP voters can and very recently voted out those they felt didn't pass muster. Have you forgotten about Eric Cantor? Remember him?

Truth is for the last few decades or so nothing really big happens in Washington, D.C. during the periods before mid-term elections and or in a POTUS otherwise senate or Congress election year. Everything is front loaded for the first year or early in second to get the votes out of the way. This gives members time to either distance themselves from the stink/fallout, and or plan how to otherwise benefit.

Another reason this bill is dead lies with His Orangeness and handlers have an ambitious plan to reshape the USA (tax reform, immigration, rolling back various laws/rules put in place by the previous administration, etc...) that they want to get addressed against the aforementioned mid-term election clock.

There are twenty-five senate seats up for re-election in 2018 along with much if not all of the House. If the DNC can pick up just a few seats in senate and hold onto what they have now, the game is over for DT and his Handler's plans to roll this country back to the 1930's.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:58 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
If Obamacare is still the law of the land, the dems still own the debacle. There's a reason why they lost over 1000 seats of governance in the last 8 years.

There is also a reason why the GOP knows it cant just gut the ACA and toss it in the trash for a halfwit psuedo HC bill as its replacement.

Think about WHY the GOP is afraid to simply gut the ACA. That would be helpful in understanding whats going on.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:58 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Generous, my derriere! They conveniently leave out the interest the $156K would earn over time. And $156K is 40%, not 33% of $387K. These Urban Institute people aren't too good at math.

Re: the bold, you're nasty!
And you know why we have Medicare? Because insurance companies weren't willing to insure senior citizens for any kind of reasonable rate. Everyone (well prolly not the Urban Institute people but everyone else) knows that older people tend to be sicker. And every Medicare recipient was once a working taxpayer too, or the spouse of one.
https://www.medicareresources.org/ba...y-of-medicare/

Medicaid funds come from a different source. And remember, about 50% of baby deliveries are paid for by Medicaid.

It was a way to raise salaries during a time of wage and price during WW II. Employer paid insurance is also the basis for UHC programs in some countries.
https://www.zanebenefits.com/blog/pa...t-world-war-ii
I chose one that was more generous, that's why it's calculated at 40%. Take a look at the study, there are others that paid far less.

The bottom line is, seniors seem to be against government in healthcare except for themselves and there, they have no problem with endless coverage, no pre-existing conditions, etc. And they are all too happy for us to pay for them. How much did seniors contribute when Medicare Part D was passed? Zero. They contribute now but that began as a complete gift to seniors.

The point about Medicaid is seniors get Medicare, Social Security and a large portion ALSO get Medicaid. They get all three. Yes it comes from a different source but Medicaid is the number one way senior homes are paid for.

Why blame me for Paul Ryan wanting to voucherize Medicare? Seniors overwhelmingly support Republicans and Paul Ryan has very publicly promoted vouchers for Medicare for years, which means, seniors must want their Medicare voucherized. Should be interesting watching them shop for a policy with their voucher.

I do support Paul Ryan voucherizing Medicare. Once seniors are no longer reaping huge benefits off of the taxpayers, we can all look at health coverage together rather than a huge segment voting only for healthcare for themselves.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:00 PM

19,775 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Nope- They could have repealed, repaired or replaced.

They own it now hotshot, they OWN IT..

From my previous post-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Thank-you!

Anyone arguing to the contrary is a flat out IDIOT

I can't wait for the idiots to come out and try to lay blame on Democrats. I love to see just how stupid and pathetic they are to their party affiliation BS. Makes my smile to know deep down inside they are hurting because their party is a complete and utter useless mouthpiece that has no substance.

I just love it. I just love it. This was perfect- absolutely perfect.

What a great day for the GOP and Trump.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:01 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
So no one here wants to talk about the entire democratic contingent would not participate or vote. no one. Congress is broken.
Democrats absolutely did participate in the debate. I went to one of the many town hall meetings my Democratic congressman held. But this awful bill was killed before it made it to the house floor, so no, there were no Democrats voting because they had no chance to vote. I think the Republicans produced this monstrosity all on their own. They are so divided, they couldn't agree among themselves.

I do, however, agree that the politics of this country are broken because we are so polarized that we can't talk to the other side. Often, name calling and insults take the place of discussion, and that just keeps us divided. I know we all get angry at whatever the other side is doing, but we should not resort to feeling all ________s are idiots or had dishonorable intentions. Everyone needs to educate themselves about the goals and needs of even those they disagree with. There is nothing wrong with being an activist for what you believe, but we should try not to be mean spirited about it.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:02 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
No, the GOP will not try again next year as 2018 is a mid-term election cycle.

If you think GOP members didn't have the balls to pass this dog of a "repeal/replace" now, why would they do so when an election is several months away.

Even is so called "safe" districts GOP voters can and very recently voted out those they felt didn't pass muster. Have you forgotten about Eric Cantor? Remember him?

Truth is for the last few decades or so nothing really big happens in Washington, D.C. during the periods before mid-term elections and or in a POTUS otherwise senate or Congress election year. Everything is front loaded for the first year or early in second to get the votes out of the way. This gives members time to either distance themselves from the stink/fallout, and or plan how to otherwise benefit.

Another reason this bill is dead lies with His Orangeness and handlers have an ambitious plan to reshape the USA (tax reform, immigration, rolling back various laws/rules put in place by the previous administration, etc...) that they want to get addressed against the aforementioned mid-term election clock.

There are twenty-five senate seats up for re-election in 2018 along with much if not all of the House. If the DNC can pick up just a few seats in senate and hold onto what they have now, the game is over for DT and his Handler's plans to roll this country back to the 1930's.

Most likely the Dems will lose some Senate seats in 2018. Something like 2/3 of the ones up for vote are Dem held now, with some in states Trump won. Staying level with todays numbers will be a major victory.

Unless Trump implodes the GOP by then, of course.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:04 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Utter nonsense. You seriously believe people can pay for things like heart surgeries, CT scans, neurosurgeries, etc, out of their pocket? Or that giving the HC industry free reign will lower prices? One of my best friends is an executive in a HC company, and formerly a VP of a major hospital. And he admits that health care today is largely a scam for profit on Americans.

What planet do you live on?

Let's take what you say on face value.

If you live in a city with more than one major hospital, your insurance WILL require you go to a specific hospital in order to be in their plan. They have negotiated maximums they will pay.

Now, let's try getting health insurance companies completely out of healthcare. What do you think those hospitals and doctors will do? Economics says they will compete, slashing every cost they can in order to compete for your business, even for a heart attack, surgery, CT scan, neurosurgery, etc. If a person can choose based on cost, even if they have to drive to the next town, those healthcare providers will be compelled to compete OR they will lose patients and customers.

This is an undeniable FACT of economics.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:05 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post

Unless Trump implodes the GOP by then, of course.
He's already imploding. It's likely to get worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies