Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2017, 06:33 PM

19,873 posts, read 22,782,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
It's a dumb deflection that his idiot supporters will eat up. Republicans have the majority. They had the power to pass this entirely on their own, no Democratic votes required.
Thank-you!

Anyone arguing to the contrary is a flat out IDIOT

I can't wait for the idiots to come out and try to lay blame on Democrats. I love to see just how stupid and pathetic they are to their party affiliation BS. Makes my smile to know deep down inside they are hurting because their party is a complete and utter useless mouthpiece that has no substance.

I just love it. I just love it. This was perfect- absolutely perfect.

What a great day for the GOP and Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 06:33 PM

46,376 posts, read 27,204,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Share links to the bills the Democrats support that will fix the many, well documented flaws of the dumpster fire they alone passed in the dark of night against the will of the American people, and without reading it.
And the idiots on the left cannot comprehend what you have said.

The left could care less about the what happens at the end as long as the current makes them look good....

Old 03-24-2017, 06:34 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,862,992 times
Lightbulb Why Obamacare Defeated Trumpcare

Daily Intelligencer
With the collapse of the House health-care bill, the cause of repealing Obamacare, a right-wing obsession for seven years and a day, has died. The flame will never be fully extinguished in the hearts of the true believers — after all, in right-wing think tanks and other places far removed from electoral politics, anti-government zealots still dream of phasing out Social Security or Medicare. But the political project dedicated to restoring the pre-Obamacare status quo, in which people too sick or poor to afford their own insurance without the subsidies and regulations of the Affordable Care Act could be safely ignored, is gone forever. And it is dead for the best possible reason, the reason that undergirds all social progress: because a good idea defeated a bad one.

David Brooks blames both Trump and Congress. “The core Republican problem is this,” he writes. “The Republicans can’t run policy-making from the White House because they have a marketing guy in charge of the factory. But they can’t run policy from Capitol Hill because it’s visionless and internally divided.”

The American Health Care Act is a truly horrendous piece of legislation. But it did not become the vehicle for the Obamacare repeal effort because Trump, or Ryan, or anybody insisted on it over some other option. It became the repeal bill because nobody in the Republican Party had a better idea.
The political miracle of Obamacare was its ability to design a way to cover the uninsured and to pay for the coverage in a politically viable fashion. The law found a way to solve a political problem that had frustrated would-be reformers for decades.

And they accomplished it against the ruthless opposition of a united party that has used every demagogic method to undermine it — in Washington, in the states, and in the courts. If Republicans had not launched a legal battle to allow states to deny Medicaid coverage to their citizens, and then cruelly taken up the opportunity to do so; sabotaged small but crucial risk-corridor payments to encourage insurer participation; and denied funds for outreach to exchange customers, it would be functioning better than it is.

Still, it is functioning. As the Congressional Budget Office found last week, the exchanges are not in a death spiral. Insurers have found a stable price point.
Republicans have spent eight years fooling themselves about Obamacare.
Why Obamacare Defeated Trumpcare
li=BBnb7Kz

The GOP =The Party With No Plan all they ever do is badmouth ANYTHING/EVERYTHING Democrat, but they never ever can create anything better of their own!!! They are also guilty of L-Y-I-N-G..... far, far, far more often than the Democrats!

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 03-24-2017 at 06:47 PM..

Old 03-24-2017, 06:36 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,650,565 times
Not even Trump supporters are buying it. they know it is all on Trump and Ryan.

Trump tried to bully his way through it. He thinks he is the "Boss" of the USA, the dumb turd does not know what the presidential powers even are. Remember this is the same Trump that thought the POTUS can just order wiretaps and the same POTUS who thought he could override the SCOTUS.

Trump has about the same understanding of US gov that a k-6 kid might.

25,021 posts, read 27,981,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Bumpkins? Classy
All the neo-Confederates, aka the bumpkins, want to drag everyone back to 1953. If you want to stay with your vastly overpriced, minimal benefits "insurance plan", then be our guest. Stop dragging us down with you

3,617 posts, read 1,826,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Sounds good to me.

Can the states figure out ways to plug the gaps in normal health insurance, such as the high costs of policies covering pre-existing conditions, the chances of getting dropped by a company when your illnesses increase etc.?

State programs would even be constitutional. Something else the massive Federal programs lack.

I was with you until this post. ALL government should have ZERO say or activity in regulating a person's healthcare. What a person chooses and is willing to pay for themselves should be what they get.

I don't give a damn if it was local healthcare. My local Mayor is a doctor BUT... if and when I want to consult him about medicine or medical care, I'll go see him and either I'll pay or I'll have insurance in place to pay. I do NOT want him dictating ANYTHING regarding my healthcare as the Mayor or any other person in government. It's none of their damn business.

7,185 posts, read 3,712,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
The OP didnt claim anyone did. The point of the OP, in fact, was that the GOP didnt even bother bringing it to a vote because they knew they would lose.
Yes! And, trump, in his infinite blame shifting, has decided it is the democrats fault that they didn't get a chance to vote against it. They made it fail by... what? osmosis? Mind control? Oh, wait... they wiretapped his phone so that they found out he and ryan were thinking about dropping the vote?

Old 03-24-2017, 06:37 PM

21,922 posts, read 25,257,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Share links to the bills the Democrats support that will fix the many, well documented flaws of the dumpster fire they alone passed in the dark of night against the will of the American people, and without reading it.
Republicans had the opportunity to walk by the fire, whip out their willies, and **** on it and save the country. Turns out it's not that simple. There's a bunch of people huddled around the dumpster for warmth and pissing on it would mean they'd freeze to death.

Now that the Republicans have finally been forced to face the uncomfortable fact that ObamaCare, flaws and all, does more good than no ObamaCare (or at least that their constituents are likely to perceive that it does which is the one and only thing that matters in politics, reelection) maybe they'll shift the attention from calls to whip out the willies and **** on it to actually working to either improve it or replace it with something that is more efficient than burning stacks of $20s for warmth.

That's not really what the TrumpCare which was so bad the Republicans ultimately decided to not even present it for a vote did. It just made a slightly smaller dumpster fire for a more selective (richer) group and left a bunch of poorer people to freeze.

3,617 posts, read 1,826,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
So you want to get rid of Medicare, Medicaid, Tricare, etc.?

Yes to everything EXCEPT free healthcare for our military and their immediate families (spouse and kids). Yes, get rid of it all. It HARMS the market by interfering with the market.

20,702 posts, read 12,565,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yup.
I predicted over 4 years ago that once the ACA was in place millions of uninsured people who had never had insurance before would sign up. Now that over 24 million are enrolled and getting regular health care for the first time, there was no way they were going to give it up.

That should have been obvious to all from the first year's signups. They weren't just poor people; most are middle class and are working full-time or multiple part-time jobs. Many are at the age when they are still too young to qualify for Medic Care, but old enough to have begun to develop the chronic health problems that start in middle age.

Our private health insurance industry was breaking down massively long before Obama was elected. Once anyone has no health insurance, yearly check-ups quit being yearly. So a medical condition that's easily treated at first is allowed to become so bad a trip to the Emergency Room is needed.

When a family can't pay the hospital bill, the county has to pay it or watch the hospital close. The poorest counties had the most expensive bills to pay. The poorest states' strongest economic spots became stunted because the state had to take up the burden of paying what the counties could not.

Common sense dictated only a national solution would ever stop this daisy chain of misery.

The ACA was over-compromised on its passage, and is over-regulated in use. At the same time, it does not do enough to help our healthiest people, and those most able to afford private health care. Some areas in in need more regulation, just to keep it fair for all. The cost of drugs and medicines is still a huge grey area that remains un-addressed.

But that doesn't change the facts. It's cheaper by far to keep a healthy person healthy, or a person who is just becoming ill to return him to help than any other alternative we have. Period. Everything else ends up costing us all much, much more, and only serves to make us all more unhealthy. Going from one emergency to another with the most expensive methods most often used is no way to live a life or run a country.

This was a golden opportunity for the Republican party to show they are truly compassionate, conservative, and wise leaders. They had 7 1/2 years to study the law, determine what it needs to be much better and more efficient, and the time to explain to their voters why it is a good idea but a bad law.

President Trump said "Who knew healthcare was such a complicated issue?"

Only every politician who was in Congress in 2008 and 2012 is all, and a big bunch of private organizations and companies that have an interest in the public health of the nation. That's who.

Trump is a rank beginner in all this. But the Republicans in Congress were not, and they all chose to sit on their numb butts and do no study, hold no meetings, make no plans, and create no alternatives. It was too easy to just say "Hell, NO!" to the law and let it go at that. No brains or effort needed to say No.

The Republicans actually caught a lucky break today; now, if they are truly serious about governing and staying in the majority, they can begin some serious work on making the ACA a good thing for everyone. It will take a lot of discipline, intelligence, diligence, and hard work. But they will be able to take the credit for it, too, and that brings some bragging rights along next year when they are asking us to vote for them once more.
So true and very well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies