Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 05:09 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I think Trump comes out of this smelling like a rose.
  • Ryancare failed. This was a major blow to Paul Ryan's leadership. - Trump winner.
  • No Trumpcare. i.e. Trump doesn't mess caused by repealing Obamacare - Trump winner.
  • Obamacare - Democrats now own it again. Trump can say they tried to fix it, but Democrats wouldn't help. - Trump winner.
People don't realize that Trump isn't a politician and isn't playing such a game. He's done 3 things.
  • Neutralized the neverTrumper, Paul Ryan
  • No longer held to his campaign promise of repealing Obamacare. (he tried)
  • Democrats retake ownership 100% of Obamacare.
Bless your heart, you are so *cute!*
  • Trump claimed to have a wonderful plan to replace ACA. He didn't. - Trump loser
  • Trump adopted Ryan's plan and made it his own, in spite of the fact that it fulfilled none of his campaign promises. Democrats hated it, and he couldn't even get his own party fully behind it, despite all his threats and bluster. - Trump loser
  • Obamacare - Democrats have always owned it. No one expected them to go for Trumpcare, yet he blames them for its failure, in spite of the fact that it was actually torpedoed by members of his own party. - Trump loser

People realize that Trump is not the dealmaker he claimed to be. He has, however, done three things.
  • Neutralized the guy who said he "knocked the ball out of the park" on unifying the party, even while selling out his populist message to embrace said guy, who is a member of the establishment he ran against.
  • Still held to his promise to make sure all Americans are "taken care of." (Did not try.)
  • Republicans take 100% ownership of a complete disaster.

Please keep your day job. You do not have a future in public relations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 05:09 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,496,886 times
Not repealing aca just made their tax reform harder.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:11 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,528,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Hey the Demoncats are going to throw every possible roadblock his way...nothing to see here...move along.
You mean like how the republicans roadblocked Obama? Yeah, that's how partisan politics works. Not good for republicans, not good for democrats, not good for any of us.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:17 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
How about us? Congressional elections coming up in 2018.
Most members of the Freedom Caucus are in districts where it's virtually impossible for a Democrat to defeat them, assuming the Democrats even run a candidate in those districts. I am talking about districts where the GOP candidate gets like 70%+ of the vote ... if they even face a Democrat challenger at all.

A primary challenge from a (more) moderate Republican is possible, it happened with Tim Huelskamp last year. But I wouldn't count on a larger scale rebellion, the Freedom Caucus gets enormous amounts of support from right wing talk radio hosts, internet blogs, and from groups like the Heritage Foundation which all make a primary challenge very, very tough.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:35 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Only if the rose bush recently received a large amount of fertilizer.

TRUMPCare...the President took ownership of it when he started figuratively dragging Republican congressmen into the White House and rewrote entire sections in an attempt to cut a deal.

This logically means that his TrumpCare failure is a success...very NewSpeak.

But Trump said he was gonna fix it - he didn't. Sort of like a mechanic who promises to fix your car, takes your money (or in this case, your vote) and fails to fix your car. #TrumpFail.

Oh he's definitely not a politician. A politician wouldn't have mucked it up so badly.

Only if Paul Ryan loses his position as leader of the House. Ryan, doesn't lose, he could actually challenge Trump in 2020 for the Presidency.

Promise made...promise broken. Voters really like that...NOT.

Oh, no...it's Trump's problem now. You don't get to claim that you're the only one who can fix things...and then fail to fix them.

And then today, after failing to get the numbers to vote, Trump says " there were things in this bill I really did not like".

Sour grapes and all that.

Freedom Caucus has been emboldened by their ability to defeat it and they have the financial backing of Koch.

The fun has just begun.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:48 PM

2,276 posts, read 1,671,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
How much will Trump's presidency be affected by the results of the health care bill vote?

Repealing & replacing Obamacare was one of the top platforms of Trump's presidential run.

If the vote passes today, that would be a huge gold star for Trump. But if the bill doesn't pass, will that mean anything? Trump laying down his "ultimatum" of today's vote, vowing to move on if it doesn't pass and keeping Obamacare would be a "fail" in many peoples eyes.

I know bills meet opposition all the time. But this early on, with one of Trump's staple campaign "promises" risking not passing, could paint a negative image on Trump's ability to "get things done" in Washington. I think there will be more backlash against trump if the bill doesn't pass for that reason.

Thoughts?
I think you are right that this reflects very poorly on Trump's whole image of the Great Dealmaker.

"I alone can fix it" was such a stunning statement and now it sounds ridiculous. I think he missed Civics classes which would have educated him on how this country is governed - hint, it is not a dictatorship.

Trump couldn't even corral his own party, although all the blame was placed on the Democrats. He gambled on an ultimatum and it backfired.

I think many Trump voters may be waiting quite awhile for the winning, winning, winning to happen. They sure aren't "sick of winning" yet with the travel ban thwarted by the Judiciary, and now the healthcare bill defeated by his own party. Not to mention the ongoing Congressional and FBI investigations.

Compromises need to be made in Congress for the good of our whole country, but Trump calling the Democratic leaders today the "real losers" sounds like an eighth grade bully.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:50 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
This is a disaster for Trump. All but the most brainwashed of cult members now sees him for what he is. He's ineffective, weak, incompetent, a horrible negotiator and unwilling to stand for anything.

His entire macho deal maker persona was shattered in one non-vote.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:51 PM

8,488 posts, read 6,894,642 times
Trump's obviously mad and must be primed for a Twitter outburst tomorrow morning. Just wonder if he will make it another wiretap style fiasco like last time. I almost hope he goes the twitter route again. It will make for another whole week of entertainment.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:51 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,806,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Right now, the WH is putting out the word that Trump didn't want to do health care (despite screaming his rallying cry of Repeal and Replace to his cults chants), but was 'talked into it' by Reince Priebus. My thoughts are Priebus is not long for this job--sacrificial lamb.

My thoughts are Obama is in Tahiti drinking Mai-Tais with someone along the lines of Richard Branson being greatly amused, and that Boehner is in his Fla condo getting bombed and laughing his head off. Spicy is working on his resume and planning an escape out of the Job from Hell.
Yes I'm hearing priebus is on the chopping block.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:54 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,378,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I agree -- tax reform would have been the way to go. Trump has more ideas in that regard that both parties can sink their teeth into but from what I understand the health care act has a direct impact on the tax revenue side of things and I guess on the Medicare/Medicaid budget.
Tax reform isn't going to be an easy thing for him to get through, either, given all of the powerful and well-heeled special interests with skin in the game. And getting the funding for his border wall and trillion dollar infrastructure plan may not be an easy sell either. The military buildup may be the easiest pargt of his agenda to get through...but there will be controversy there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies