Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 04:37 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times

Advertisements

How much will Trump's presidency be affected by the results of the health care bill vote?

Repealing & replacing Obamacare was one of the top platforms of Trump's presidential run.

If the vote passes today, that would be a huge gold star for Trump. But if the bill doesn't pass, will that mean anything? Trump laying down his "ultimatum" of today's vote, vowing to move on if it doesn't pass and keeping Obamacare would be a "fail" in many peoples eyes.

I know bills meet opposition all the time. But this early on, with one of Trump's staple campaign "promises" risking not passing, could paint a negative image on Trump's ability to "get things done" in Washington. I think there will be more backlash against trump if the bill doesn't pass for that reason.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 04:56 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Not much as if a vote will fail then Obamacare will implode by itself and will go down in history as Obama's failed health care bill.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:16 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
With the ultimatum presented by Trump last night -- pass THIS bill on Friday or Obamacare stays --- this bill is everything.

If he cannot unite the Republican party on the repeal of Obamacare -- he is a lame duck President. This is one mandate they all agreed upon. If this does not happen today it is a clear message he does not have the support of his party.

I'm nervous --- I think that what is going to happen with that ultimatum that they will pass whatever is put out there. That doesn't bother me because it helps Trump out, gets rid of Obamacare -- it makes me nervous because just what exactly will they pass.

Remember -- these guys don't use this health care plan -- they don't give a hoot -- they and their families are covered....

EDIT....after a few minutes I realize that if they do pass through a mess of a plan to appease Trump that could backfire BIGLY for him.....this has to work for him. Trump can claim a victory if it passes today but if a year from now people are hurting & don't have the coverage they need that will hurt the Republicans in the mid-term elections & Trump in the next election.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:30 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Think the Admin should have led with tax reform, instead of healthcare. It was a strategic mistake.

Trump promised to" replace Obamacare with something wonderful that will take care of everybody and the government is going to pay for it". He had no plan to back it up and instead embraced Ryan's Plan, making it his own. That this bill does not meet his own criteria to deliver on this promise is curious.

There is a lot of Conservative $ on the line to reward those Republicans who vote no. We'll see how much, if any, remaining influence Koch has left. If it passes the House today, the Senate is no certain thing.

The premature EO, eliminating consequences for those not in compliance with the ACA, effectively killed the ACA without an approved replacement.

The Trump Admin and 115 Congress own it.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:31 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
If it fails today (or tomorrow or next week), he'll blame Ryan (who never really endorsed tRUMP). tRUMP will move on to tax reform, which his corporate buddies and 1%'ers and GOP congress (senate included) are head over heals in favor of. The popularity of tax reform will mute any blow-back to tRUMP on a health care failure.

If it passes the House today, then we're back to it being DOA in the Senate, and it being amended there and a bill being sent back to the House that can't pass in the House. This is a worse scenario than the bill dying today as it prolongs the ordeal and may move the blame from Ryan to tRUMP the longer it stays out there.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:32 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
It is a failure either way, as it does not remotely fulfill the promises he made to see that everyone was covered.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:35 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Think the Admin should have led with tax reform, instead of healthcare. It was a strategic mistake.

Trump promised to" replace Obamacare with something wonderful that will take care of everybody and the government is going to pay for it". He had no plan to back it up and instead embraced Ryan's Plan, making it his own. That this bill does not meet his own criteria to deliver on this promise is curious.

There is a lot of Conservative $ on the line to reward those Republicans who vote no. We'll see how much, if any, remaining influence Koch has left. If it passes the House today, the Senate is no certain thing.

The premature EO, eliminating consequences for those not in compliance with the ACA, effectively killed the ACA without an approved replacement.

The Trump Admin and 115 Congress own it.
I agree -- tax reform would have been the way to go. Trump has more ideas in that regard that both parties can sink their teeth into but from what I understand the health care act has a direct impact on the tax revenue side of things and I guess on the Medicare/Medicaid budget.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:43 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
I think this was an epic loss for a presidency early on, especially when his repeal/replace was on the top of his agenda and a huge campaign trail "promise".

For one it just highlights the obvious, that Trump was never a true Republican to begin with, and never had true support from the party he ran for. In truth it was the Republican party that "forced" him to sign on early in his presidential push.

The swamp he wanted rained just blocked him big time. He isn't the deal maker he thought he was, and this will rattle his confidence a bit. He's just going to have more problems down the road, and his problems are self created and not because of left this or right that. It's step #1 in showing the population that he was not prepared to become president. He's got a lot of fence mending to do.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:50 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
I think Trump comes out of this smelling like a rose.
  • Ryancare failed. This was a major blow to Paul Ryan's leadership. - Trump winner.
  • No Trumpcare. i.e. Trump doesn't mess caused by repealing Obamacare - Trump winner.
  • Obamacare - Democrats now own it again. Trump can say they tried to fix it, but Democrats wouldn't help. - Trump winner.
People don't realize that Trump isn't a politician and isn't playing such a game. He's done 3 things.
  • Neutralized the neverTrumper, Paul Ryan
  • No longer held to his campaign promise of repealing Obamacare. (he tried)
  • Democrats retake ownership 100% of Obamacare.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:50 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I think this was an epic loss for a presidency early on
It's not a lose
Obamacare is not as evil a republicans have always claimed

And now they see that it would be "political suicide" to repeal it and be blamed for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies