Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 09:39 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,745,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Washington state is talking about following your lead.

We are doing good and we understand it is because we continue to invest in ourselves. My local school district just passed a bond to rebuild, 400 million... seattle metro area just agreed to a long term investment of 60 BILLION for transit.

we are controlling 3rd ed costs, and hoping to get the state to spend a lot more. I accept i am too old to gain anything from this, but i will be happy to pay it forward for future gens.
I think Washington is a lot like Minnesota and it would work for you guys as well! Like you, we have a clean, polite, healthy, educated populace & an extremely small, permanent underclass. You in Washington, like us, are a lot like Switzerland or Norway. It's the worst state in the country for Blacks of course, as they lag waaaaay behind in education, employment, incarceration, etc. but that's not my problem and it wouldn't be yours in Washington state either. We're like wealthy suburbs, where as long as a bunch of section-8 renters don't get shoved down our throats, we can sustain this quality of like indefinately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 09:46 PM

88,979 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
So what's so magical about this particular demographics? Do tell.
It has far lower percentages of the population segments that are highly disproportionately poor.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Basically MN did everything opposite of states like WI, IL, and KS who've followed the trickle down plans to a T for years. MN now is the 5th fastest growing economy, it's $2.6 Bn deficit is now a $1 bn surplus, and its residents' confidence in the local economy is #1 out of the entire country.

'Most liberal governor' rights ship in Minnesota - Chicago Tribune

So what happened to the GOP narrative in this case? The former GOP governor left a massive budget deficit that took a DEMOCRAT to fix. Here are some of the numbers from WI, IL, and KS who did the opposite:

Unemployment rate: Kansas, 4.2 percent; Wisconsin, 4.6 percent; Minnesota, 3.7 percent; Illinois, 6.0 percent; national rate, 5.5 percent.

Average weekly private-sector earnings: Kansas, $784 (+2.3 percent over the past year); Wisconsin, $795 (+0.1 percent); Minnesota, $891 (+1.5 percent); Illinois, $893 (+1.6 percent); national average growth, 2.3 percent.

Annual GDP growth: Kansas, 1.9 percent; Wisconsin, 1.7 percent; Minnesota, 2.8 percent; Illinois, 0.9 percent; national average, 1.8 percent.

That's a boatload of winning by doing exactly opposite of what the GOP always tries to prescribe.
Where did you you get these UE numbers? The Feb. 2017 UE rate nationally was 4.7%, not 5.5%.
National Employment Monthly Update

After my daughter moved to MN, I came back from visiting her the first time thinking "How do these people stand themselves? To hear them tell it, everything is so perfect, perfect, PERFECT!" And this constant comparing itself to WI-get over it! You guys really do protest too much about how great you are.

Colorado's minimum wage is $10.20/hr, higher than MN's $9.65 an hour for large employers and $7.87 an hour for other employers.

Quote:
MN projected budget deficit is less than 1% of its entire $46 billion dollar state budget (and it has a lot to do, if you even read your own link, with the expectation that the US economy overall is going to slow and unknowns of how the federal government is going to run fiscal policy - basically a conservative projection that's changed due to increased risk). That's exactly why you run up budget surpluses for 4 years straight to save up a $1.6 bn rainy day fund with another $350 million in cash-flow accounts. The economy always ebbs and flows. You've also failed to mention that in 2017 KS budget deficit was over $320 million relative to a total ~$16 bn total state budget.
It might also even get worse for KS through 2019 because even though they beat revenues for Dec. '17, they're looking at nearly a $1.1 bn deficit by 2019:

Kansas, facing a huge budget deficit, wonders what to do next. Consensus is elusive - LA Times

Yes, KS is doing oh so well:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...-rapid-decline

KS' rural areas are also losing population at an unprecedented rate. No wonder housing is cheap when you have vast swaths of areas where people clearly don't want to live or there aren't enough jobs.

And what are you droning on about 'liberal' this and that and filing law suits? You literally have the supreme court saying KS' educational policies are unconstitutional. It's hilarious how some conservatives are so out of touch with reality that they think their views should trump the rulings of the supreme court. Sorry, it's the law of the land.
The state of Colorado requires a balanced budget.
https://ballotpedia.org/Colorado_sta...t_and_finances

Do quit your bragging.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:04 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,928,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Where did you you get these UE numbers? The Feb. 2017 UE rate nationally was 4.7%, not 5.5%.
National Employment Monthly Update

After my daughter moved to MN, I came back from visiting her the first time thinking "How do these people stand themselves? To hear them tell it, everything is so perfect, perfect, PERFECT!" And this constant comparing itself to WI-get over it! You guys really do protest too much about how great you are.

Colorado's minimum wage is $10.20/hr, higher than MN's $9.65 an hour for large employers and $7.87 an hour for other state minimum wages.

Quit my bragging? How about quitting your screeds before reading the actual article that was posted in the 1st post and taking things out of context? Again, for the 1000th time - this post was dug up from over a year ago. The final UE numbers could have changed by now, but back when this was first posted and literally from the article (if you spent the 5 minutes reading what was posted before actually posting a reply you would have read this):

Quote:
Unemployment rate: Kansas, 4.2 percent; Wisconsin, 4.6 percent; Minnesota, 3.7 percent; Illinois, 6.0 percent; national rate, 5.5 percent.
(right next to the Brownback photo).

Quote:
The state of Colorado requires a balanced budget.
https://ballotpedia.org/Colorado_sta...t_and_finances

Do quit your bragging.
So another blue state that properly budgets. Interesting. Completely opposite of KS. Thanks for reaffirming my point that KS is a terribly run state.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:10 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthouse7669 View Post
Of GOP conversatives do not like using understand that correlation then please show us a conservative state that's using trickle down economy that's actually is improving! Oh haven't more gun rights doesn't count.
Texas, Utah, North and South Dakota.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:12 PM

8,123 posts, read 3,666,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It has far lower percentages of the population segments that are highly disproportionately poor.
Lol. In your link change, for instance, to WI or NM. Report back on demographics. That's going to be good..

Old 01-09-2018, 10:23 PM

88,979 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Lol. In your link change, for instance, to WI or NM. Report back on demographics. That's going to be good..
Yes, NM has FAR higher percentages of minorities, which are highly disproportionately poor.

10.6% Native American
48.5% Hispanic

Old 01-09-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Yes, NM has FAR higher percentages of minorities, which are highly disproportionately poor.

10.6% Native American
48.5% Hispanic
Fine, do elaborate on WI. 82% white, not minority.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Quit my bragging? How about quitting your screeds before reading the actual article that was posted in the 1st post and taking things out of context? Again, for the 1000th time - this post was dug up from over a year ago. The final UE numbers could have changed by now, but back when this was first posted and literally from the article (if you spent the 5 minutes reading what was posted before actually posting a reply you would have read this):

(right next to the Brownback photo).

So another blue state that properly budgets. Interesting. Completely opposite of KS. Thanks for reaffirming my point that KS is a terribly run state.
Your OP was on 3/24/17. Yes, 10 months ago now. I gave numbers for Feb. 2017. I see now the article in the link is from 2015, two years old when you started this thread.

Colorado is purple, not blue.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:

10.6% Native American
48.5% Hispanic
Also, how come CA and TX are doing very well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies