Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 04:28 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times

Advertisements

It's partly due to our relative youth as a nation.
And patriotism tends to wax and wane with our national confidence level. When we are doing well, we don't wear our patriotism on our sleeves as much as when we are worried.

But we aren't the only very patriotic country in North America. The Canadians and the Mexicans are just as proud and patriotic as we are. They're just a little quieter about announcing their patriotism than we are.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:31 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staphangel View Post
New Low of 52% "Extremely Proud" to Be Americans | Gallup

Even though it may be down and younger people especially aren't very patriotic, it at 52% is still WAY more than any other developed countries in Europe. In a similar survey by YouGov, only 13% of brits thought their country was "the best in the world" it was the highest score in the EU. Germany and France only got 5% each.

For most Europeans the thought of showing U.S levels of patriotism is completely alien. You won't see a flag in every yard in any other country.

Considering what kind of bad things come from patriotism isn't it a good thing for people not to feel so patriotic?
Because it reflects a massive sense of insecurity to have to tell everyone how wonderful you are.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:47 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
I've been ashamed to be an American since Nov. 9th.
We're ashamed you're an American too.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:57 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post

We're ashamed you're an American too.
Ooooh! Right in the face, man...

Attached Thumbnails
Why is America so heavily patriotic, especially compared to other countries?-pow.png  

Old 03-25-2017, 08:02 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It's partly due to our relative youth as a nation.
And patriotism tends to wax and wane with our national confidence level. When we are doing well, we don't wear our patriotism on our sleeves as much as when we are worried.

But we aren't the only very patriotic country in North America. The Canadians and the Mexicans are just as proud and patriotic as we are. They're just a little quieter about announcing their patriotism than we are.
I agree. If this was luxury fashion, Canada and Mexico would be wearing an outfit of high quality, well-tailored pieces. The USA would be wearing the tracksuit with JUICY COUTURE loudly plastered on the ass.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:59 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post

BBM~~ to address
So, you suggest that the resident people that were here prior to the arrival of Europeans (Natives/Aboriginals) have no value and no rights to claim anything along the lines of being "Americans"?? Just asking ?

I suggest nothing of the sort. Read my words again as they are written, not as you wish to read them. The topic is the nation state we call the US and the roots of its patriotism.

Keep what I say in the context in which it is written.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:34 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
It's like cheering for a sports team. Who cares? I don't like taking pride in things other people have done, that I'm only a part of by the sheer luck of being born here.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:01 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
It's like cheering for a sports team. Who cares? I don't like taking pride in things other people have done, that I'm only a part of by the sheer luck of being born here.
I'm not a fan of team sports. But I do have a partiality to Oklahoma football. Though I can't say that I take "pride" in the team, but rather, its more like I'm happy for them, insofar as I would prefer they won.

And this same logic can be applied to America as well. I can't say that I'm proud to be an American in the broadest sense, but I would prefer America wins, because I'm more attached to America than the other "teams".

When it comes to national flags, they are merely a national version of the old "family crests", or "coat of arms".

You're obviously going to be "happy" or possibly even "prideful" of your children's accomplishments. You would rather your child wins, even if it means another child loses. You're basically "rooting" for your team. With your team being your family.

If America is a family, then it isn't illogical to be prideful in your family's accomplishments(are you not allowed to be prideful of your parents?). If America isn't a family, then it becomes kind of absurd.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:11 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
I do enjoy George Orwell's definition of patriotism and nationalism.

Quote:
"Nationalism is not to be confused with patriotism. Both words are normally used in so vague a way that any definition is liable to be challenged, but one must draw a distinction between them, since two different and even opposing ideas are involved. By "patriotism" I mean devotion to a particular place and a particular way of life, which one believes to be the best in the world but has no wish to force on other people. Patriotism is of its nature defensive, both militarily and culturally. Nationalism, on the other hand, is inseparable from the desire for power.

The abiding purpose of every nationalist is to secure more power and more prestige, not for himself but for the nation or other unit in which he has chosen to sink his own individuality."
George Orwell: Notes on Nationalism

George Orwell: Part I: England Your England

A nationalist isn't necessarily a patriot, or vice-versa.

For instance, an American patriot is generally someone who identifies himself with the founding principles of this country. And most patriots believe that our current government is far from what the founders had wanted.

Which is why the government often calls "patriot" groups, "domestic terrorists".

Or as H.L. Mencken said.... "The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naive and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair."

Old 03-26-2017, 05:43 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I agree. If this was luxury fashion, Canada and Mexico would be wearing an outfit of high quality, well-tailored pieces. The USA would be wearing the tracksuit with JUICY COUTURE loudly plastered on the ass.
Pardon me, but we would be wearing a finely knitted hockey jersey or some kind of flannel, thank you very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies