Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 08:24 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times

Advertisements

With their stubbornness on the healthcare bill, it's going to be very difficult to impossible for real tax reform. We could still cut tax rates, but actual tax reform is near impossible now, which is the reason why Trump wanted to address healthcare first. A lot of people who normally wouldn't vote came out this election to support Trump and give him the House and Senate. They are completely letting down Trump.

I hope Trump will bypass the Freedom Caucus and work with Moderate Republicans and Democrats on as many issues possible such as infrastructure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 08:26 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,440,332 times
He shouldn't have any problem getting tax cuts and regulatory reform without Democrat support.

If he gets two supreme court justices plus tax cuts, he will have more than justified his presidency.

He'll need good old Mitch McConnell to use the nuclear option to pave the way for a conservative supreme court.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
He shouldn't have any problem getting tax cuts without Democrat support.
Tax cuts he shouldn't have a problem, but we cannot get tax reform done because of the tax complications involved with Obamacare. That was the main purpose for doing healthcare reform first. I mean, lower tax rates is still good, but what we really need is tax reform.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very satisfied with Trump. I think he is doing a great job. It's the extremist within his party that is proving they can't legislate.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:29 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,126,952 times
You mean he has to swallow his pride and work with the opposition enemy, I mean party. Yeah right. That is like saying I am sorry, I was wrong...

Any smart and rational POTUS would do that but you are talking about Sir Orangutan here...

But honestly, if he scr*we up tax reform, which is even harder than Healthcare reform since he needs the 60 votes, the Repugs should just abandon ship...

Old 03-25-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Tax cuts he shouldn't have a problem, but we cannot get tax reform done because of the tax complications involved with Obamacare. That was the main purpose for doing healthcare reform first. I mean, lower tax rates is still good, but what we really need is tax reform.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very satisfied with Trump. I think he is doing a great job. It's the extremist within his party that is proving they can't legislate.
What do you see as the difference between tax cuts and tax reform?

Old 03-25-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
You mean he has to swallow his pride and work with the opposition enemy, I mean party. Yeah right. That is like saying I am sorry, I was wrong...

Any smart and rational POTUS would do that but you are talking about Sir Orangutan here...
Yes, I remember your beloved Pajama Boy doing that with the Republicans -- er, not.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:32 AM

16,283 posts, read 10,424,652 times
I think it's going to be very difficult for Donald Trump to get his ideas passed even with a GOP majority in both the House and Senate. It's kind of what happens when you spend a year purposely pissing off people on both sides of the aisle.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:34 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,464,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I hope Trump will bypass the Freedom Caucus and work with Moderate Republicans and Democrats on as many issues possible such as infrastructure.
He is in a unique position to return American politics to bi-partisanship. He is politically powerful enough to smack down extremists in both parties if he has a mind to do so. There are any number of areas where his promises on the campaign trail and longstanding Democratic policy would converge.

He actually (I can't believe I am writing this) could turn this presidency into a great one.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
He is in a unique position to return American politics to bi-partisanship. He is politically powerful enough to smack down extremists in both parties if he has a mind to do so. There are any number of areas where his promises on the campaign trail and longstanding Democratic policy would converge.

He actually (I can't believe I am writing this) could turn this presidency into a great one.
I'd like to believe that, but Chuckie Schumer and Nancita Pelosi have made it clear that they're "not playin'".

Old 03-25-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
What do you see as the difference between tax cuts and tax reform?
Tax cuts are about lowering tax rates.

Tax reform is about lowering tax rates even more by getting rid of tax breaks and changing tax code.

An extreme example is completely eliminating income tax and applying a 25% consumption tax (sales tax).

Tax reform has been stated numerous times, to simplify the process to benefit individuals and small businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies