Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 08:08 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I have 2 or 3 drinks with dinner on Saturday nights. I don't have any drinks the rest of the week. Since my decision is not increasing health care costs or need for law enforcement , can I get an exemption from the tax?

Also, if this is true, should we add a new tax to foods that have over a certain amount of sugar, or fat, or total calories?
I would love to tax junk food. Help drive down the price of good, healthy items in the consumer's eye.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:09 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
If I find someone who voted for Trump, I just don't get into any sort of conversation with them--there probably isn't very much that we would have in common anyway except that we both want illegals gone.

I do have some relatives who voted for him, very nice young moms, and I speak to them. I think they were led astray by their mean spirited, money loving lawyer father. They, themselves, wouldn't want to take health care away from people, destroy the environment, support a corrupt person who lies so that he can win. Their dad is like that though.
I don't know we may have more in common than you think: art, classical music, college classes, college performances, trips overseas. I even like opera and was surprised how much I liked Picasso during my Art History class. I like older houses and would love to update a 1930 bungalow. I love history and hiking. I enjoy family history research.

Any political beliefs I have in no way impact any of that, so we might have nice conversations or maybe we do have no common interests. but it isn't because of my vote whatever that vote was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 08:13 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I do have some relatives who voted for him, very nice young moms, and I speak to them. I think they were led astray by their mean spirited, money loving lawyer father. They, themselves, wouldn't want to take health care away from people, destroy the environment, support a corrupt person who lies so that he can win. Their dad is like that though.
That's not what Trump voters or even probably Trump himself wants to see. You mistake what you think the results of certain policies will be with the motivation people have for supporting them. That mistaken assumption will keep you from understanding the mindset of those who disagree with you every single time.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:16 AM

4,960 posts, read 2,238,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
There seems to be so much hate, insulting and nastiness on these boards of people from other parties. My question is, do many of you use this forum to mask your cowardice in telling this to people to their face?

Democrats/Liberals if you know someone from work, a friend, or family member voted for Trump do you call them "Trumptards" to their face?

Conservatives/Republicans if you know someone from work, a friend, or family member that voted for Clinton do you call them "Snowflake" to their face?

I find the name calling on here very cowardly, so seeing if people are like this in real-life too.
I don't people differently, whether online or in person. I try to be respectful to others, even if they are not.

Surprisingly, I have 2 acquaintances end our emerging friendships because being a Trump supporter equals "racist bigot". One of those people I would not necessarily consider a liberal, either.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:17 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm an ardent supporter of women being able to go shirtless in public.
So you see no purpose for wanting women to be covered? How about we just run around naked?

Anything is fine as long as it is sanitary?

What about at school? Or other public spaces? Would you want your daughter walking around topless? Or your mother/grandmother?

Old 04-05-2017, 08:18 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,987 times
I visit sites like this one to debate/discuss political issues.

I do not discuss political issues on Face Book.

I am an expat living in Asia and I noticed long ago that liberal progressives have a sort of privilege when it comes to talking politics.

Years ago, the expat demographics changed and now gone are the more conservative managers of US companies, having been replaced by back-packing liberal progressive English teachers.

I am often at the pub when an expat starts spouting liberal progressive nonsense and ridiculing his/her misunderstood concept of conservative ideas. They can do so because with little fear of offending as they nearly always have a sympathetic ear to listen to them, given the demographic shift I referred to above.

Moreover, in addition to US expats, there are loads of European and Canadian and Aussie-Kiwi expats, most of who are even more left-liberal than our US liberal progressives.

I don't mind discussing politics politely. Many of my friends here are, as demographics dictate, very liberal progressive.

But, I will not get into insult-laden shouting matches with anyone in real life. I've better things to do in real life.

Last edited by Salmonburgher; 04-05-2017 at 08:30 AM..

Old 04-05-2017, 08:19 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
I'm with you, Magritte. Maybe one of the benefits of living in a purple state is that it is hard to live in a bubble. I try to be respectful in real life and online. I'm sure I don't always succeed, but I think I do more often than not.

I've noticed a lot of people here say they don't talk politics in real life. Maybe that is the problem. If people avoid discussing politics in real life where they get instant feedback from a person who is standing right in front of them and whom they will see in the grocery store, at their children's school, church, or what have you, then they are missing an opportunity to build the skills required for carrying on a potentially prickly discussion in a respectful way.
I think most regular posters here know what a raving liberal I am. LOL But I have two very close friends who are conservative, fundamentalist Christians. We probably disagree on almost everything politically and religiously speaking. But they are both great women who are intelligent with amazing senses of humor and are great moms. So why would I cut them out of my life because we see politics and religion differently? I think its more difficult online to see the person behind the politics because we don't know each other.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:20 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I don't talk about politics much IRL. If I do, I don't get as snarky as I do here. But I try really hard not to call names on this board. One, its unnecessary and usually means I need to take a break and two, its against the rules. I don't understand name calling when you are trying to get people to see your POV. Sometimes we lose our temper but some posters just do it all the time as a matter of course. What is the point?
To get a heated response back. Why else would someone start a sentence with "You're ignorant!"!

I am ver limited on who I discuss politics or religion with.......most the time it ruin a good day.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:20 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I would love to tax junk food. Help drive down the price of good, healthy items in the consumer's eye.
Unfortunately for people who don't know better, economics dictates the opposite outcome will occur. In this case, taxing something you don't like (junk food) will push an increase in demand for what you do like (healthy food). This will cause the price of the healthy food to go up, rather than to go down.

Sigh...

Old 04-05-2017, 08:21 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
There seems to be so much hate, insulting and nastiness on these boards of people from other parties. My question is, do many of you use this forum to mask your cowardice in telling this to people to their face?

Democrats/Liberals if you know someone from work, a friend, or family member voted for Trump do you call them "Trumptards" to their face?

Conservatives/Republicans if you know someone from work, a friend, or family member that voted for Clinton do you call them "Snowflake" to their face?

I find the name calling on here very cowardly, so seeing if people are like this in real-life too.
it isn't just on here, I see news feeds doing the same thing.....

People have grown so ugly in their comments it scares me? And the language is just as annoying...is your language so limited that you have to resort to the F word all the time?

I saw a news feed this morning, from CBS no less, that had a picture of Michelle Obama, and one of Melania...asking which was better....

I mean can't the people see that the mainstream media is encouraging hate? And the comments were embarrassing...I cannot believe that people didn't care that their names are right out there, while writing such hate?

Ugly people, seriously, it's frightening....their words are hurtful and ugly.

Society has definitely changed....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies