Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2017, 02:47 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
And all the time their solar is running so are their coal plants. They never shut them down........
Does a hospital throw their backup generators away just because the electricity is up 99.9% of the time? Is it a waste of money maintaining generators they may use once or twice a year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 03:25 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Obama?
They received federal funding. The project would not have moved forward without it. Millions of dollars worth.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:26 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
That's chump change for something with the already proven potential to deliver Billions into our economy at its most basic form. Instead, you want to spend Billions on a dying coal industry that will maybe save several thousand jobs?
Billions of dollars?

It hasn't even proved that it can deliver 50 cents of electricity/day. And that's when it's not broken.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:39 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
OMG! You're just too hilarious!

Germany cannot afford what it has done AND even given the HUGE price tag they've already paid for solar, they only generate 0.3% of Germany's total energy. This isn't from some right wing site.
Why Germany is phasing out its solar-power subsidies.

Again, Germany cannot afford solar. (A lot of data to back up the claim.)
Germany's Solar Failure | The Resilient Earth

Germany's green energy generation is destabilizing their electric grid. Look at the price they pay compared to what we pay on average in the US!
Germany's Green Energy Destabilizing Electric Grids - IER

But wait... there's more!
Germany

Even China is struggling to afford this nonsense.
China clean energy generators face $9 bln subsidy shortfall -official | Reuters

Nigeria cannot afford it either.
Nigeria can

Germany’s Wind & Solar Obsession Killing Industry & Thousands of Real Jobs
https://stopthesethings.com/2016/04/...-of-real-jobs/

Germany’s 2014 Renewable Energy Law Reform Is A Resounding Failure
https://cleantechnica.com/2016/03/29...nding-failure/

I could do this ALL day, all night and tomorrow as well. PLEASE, let's NOT duplicate the failure Germany created by generating electricity the stupid way, with renewable solar and wind. The successes you claim Germany has had simply are NOT there.
"The Resilient Earth" and Bjørn Lomborg?

Old 04-06-2017, 03:46 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty
They received federal funding. The project would not have moved forward without it. Millions of dollars worth.
Got a link to federal funding? This link shows state and local funding:

Sandpoint, ID : solar roadways

"Funding for this project was provided by the State of Idaho Department of Commerce and the Sandpoint Urban Renewal Agency.

This project was made possible by the 2016 Sandpoint City Council, Mayor Shelby Rognstad, Solar Roadways, Avista Utilities, North County Electric, LLC, and City of Sandpoint employees.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:51 PM

19,776 posts, read 22,673,762 times
God the imbeciles. Sigh.

Solar Roadways, the company involved, received 3 SBIR grants- which for those that can't google on their own stands for Small Business Innovation Research grants. Phase 1 was $100,000 for a feasibility study, phase 2 was $750,000 to develop and build a test PARKING LOT, and phase 2b for an additional $750,000 for further research.

In addition to the SBIR grants, the company raised 2.2million privately thru crowdfunding at Indiegogo.

Minor investments were made by state dept of commerce, urban renewal fund and city budgets.

This is a research TEST.

Of course some knuckle draggers may not feel that the US should get involved in any research projects. Others, such as myself, like the SBIR program- the same program that helped develop technologies for the space program.

But hey- I guess that makes me a 'progressive' in their minds. God Forbid this country try and become a leader in innovation and technology.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:59 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
This is why no one in Germany cooks after sundown, right?
Please enlighten me how it works. I'm really interested.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:00 PM

46,302 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Your level of critical thinking is so absurd it blows my mind.

You put solar panels where there is the most intense amount of sunlight per day... you know like... DESERT AREAS. So of course it won't generate much electricity. Stupid if you didn't see that coming.

Whoever thought Idaho would be a good idea to place solar panels?
Wait, are you REALLY saying that we (the United States) are paying (taxes) for all this solar energy stuff and now you saying that solar energy is only good in certain places?

Dang.......From what I would gather from the left, solar is the only way to go.....but now....

Critical thinking has left the left......

Old 04-06-2017, 04:05 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
I find that very hard to believe when my ex-boyfriend powers his entire house, including an air-conditioner, and an impressive server room with the solar panels on his roof. His power bills average 10.00 per month to be hooked to the grid after the utility buys his excess energy.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:14 PM

46,302 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I find that very hard to believe when my ex-boyfriend powers his entire house, including an air-conditioner, and an impressive server room with the solar panels on his roof. His power bills average 10.00 per month to be hooked to the grid after the utility buys his excess energy.
How does the local power company buy his power?

And why or how could he have any bill if the power company buys his "excess" energy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies