Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2017, 10:44 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,231,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
From this point forward, anyone who goes along with being "involuntarily bumped" is a fool as there are now considerable financial incentives to insist on keeping your seat.
They can still do it before boarding, as they usually do, and it is in the contract. If they stopped overbooking customers will pay in some other way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 10:45 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
What a load of baloney.

"Unfortunate he was hurt?" Good Lord, his face was slammed against a armrest and he was drug off dazed and bloody. Apparently, at some point he was able get away from this crew of imbeciles and ran to the back of the plane.

He paid for the flight and had every right to be stubborn about getting what he paid for.

Honor as a man? What BS.

If we had any honor as a nation we would outlaw robbing airline passengers with this "involuntary removal" malarky.
These people are insane. Just ignore.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:48 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
What a load of baloney.

"Unfortunate he was hurt?" Good Lord, his face was slammed against a armrest and he was drug off dazed and bloody. Apparently, at some point he was able get away from this crew of imbeciles and ran to the back of the plane.

He paid for the flight and had every right to be stubborn about getting what he paid for.

Honor as a man? What BS.

If we had any honor as a nation we would outlaw robbing airline passengers with this "involuntary removal" malarky.
A "fact" not in evidence and wont be until lawyers go through all the video frame by frame. There is no clear video I have seen of the officers "slamming" his face against an armrest.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:53 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
From this point forward, anyone who goes along with being "involuntarily bumped" is a fool as there are now considerable financial incentives to insist on keeping your seat.
The whole matter is getting blown out of proportion. I would guess I have been involved in flights where the bumping procedure was invoked perhaps a 100 times or so. Virtually never a big deal. In fact on one occasion I led the negotiation when the airline wanted to get 6 or 8 of us to move a plane back. We did it by the way for a round trip each. The also upgraded us to business or whatever without using a sticker. But the delay was an hour and a half and we did it regularly enough that the ground crew knew us.

The normal practice is simply to up the payoff until they get the needed number. This case however is unusual in that it is the last plane - so an overnight bump which is going to be a much tougher sale. They should have started out over a grand on this one.

After 50 some years I think it can be lived with...though it could use some cleanup. This situation was simply unthinkable.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:55 AM

622 posts, read 410,238 times
I just can't believe how badly UA handled this whole issue literally from start to finish.

I wonder how often a passenger who has already boarded a plane is then compelled to relinquish his seat. Besides in this situation we have don't have a case of "denied boarding" which is addressed in the regulation because as the term implies it means a passenger is not allowed to board. In this case we have a passenger who has already boarded a plane and is seated and then is forced to relinquish his seat.

What is also incredible is that this will cost UA in the millions: there is a the lawsuit by the doctor, the airline has said that they will reimburse all the passengers on that flight their fare because of what they had to go through and there is the negative publicity that UA has had to face.

I just cannot believe that the CEO of UA will be allowed to keep his job after the way he screwed up this entire mess starting with his initial statement saying that UA employees followed procedure and then the subsequent statement saying the passenger was belligerent and disruptive and finally issuing an abject apology which was nothing more than damage control.

How does a passenger get manhandled so badly that he suffers concussion, a broken nose and the loss of teeth? I hope those involved in evicting the passenger face consequences.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:56 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
A "fact" not in evidence and wont be until lawyers go through all the video frame by frame. There is no clear video I have seen of the officers "slamming" his face against an armrest.
This post is really grasping at straws. You now have medical confirmation of the injuries. Is some idiot really going to claim they were self inflicted? I guess I should not be surprised after listening to some of these other off the wall arguments.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:03 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,952 times
Well here are some new slogans and commercials for new UA:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/NewUnitedAirlinesMottos?

Old 04-13-2017, 11:14 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So, it turns out that Dao sustained a severe concussion, broken nose and two lost teeth all over a company wanting their way...
This is no more a 5 or 6 figure settlement. It is probably 5 or more million dollars.

If it ever goes on trial and his X-rays, scans and photographs are shown to the jury along with the obligatory video, the punitive damages will be astronomical.

How long will it be before the board pushes the insensitive CEO out as part of damage control.

Last edited by kamban; 04-13-2017 at 11:25 AM..

Old 04-13-2017, 11:16 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Well here are some new slogans and commercials for new UA:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/NewUnitedAirlinesMottos?
What a hoot.

You are now free to limp about the cabin.

My favorite so far is the photo of the seating chart with one section designated as "Fight Club."

But this isn't bad.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/NewUnite...ottos?src=hash

Old 04-13-2017, 11:16 AM

4,665 posts, read 4,980,348 times
Quote:
What a load of baloney.

Honor as a man? What BS.

For some people, the party in the position of authority is always right, no matter what. This core belief is why they sometimes say jaw-droppingly stupid things such as, "well, the airline just ordered the police to forcibly remove the passenger, the fact that the passenger got hurt, well, that's unfortunate and that's where things went wrong."

I want to ask these dips***s what they think "forcibly removed" means, but it's not of any use. If the core belief is that the authority is always right, it would be like talking to a wall -- as we have seen on many exchanges on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies