Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 10:37 PM

9,985 posts, read 5,689,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
True.

And why would anyone think people who fly on airplanes have no legal rights anyway?
It's spelled out in the terms and conditions that you can be bumped.

There's no doubt United fumbled this by allowing the passengers to board before realizing they needed space for crew members, and maybe the whole overbooking/bumping policy needs to be reviewed and refined. But the bottom line is this: when an airline crew tells you to get off a plane, their decision is final and you'll either get off under your own power or be dragged off by guys with badges. In fact I can't figure out why this jackass wasn't arrested for interfering with a flight crew. IMO United is making a big mistake by trying to appease this guy and bend over backward apologizing and all that. They're sending a message that if you don't want to listen to the directives of a flight crew, all you have to do is throw a big hissy fit and you'll get special treatment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 02:53 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Any bozo that tries to cuff me on a flight, will be getting a first class trip to hospital.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:00 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,587,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Any bozo that tries to cuff me on a flight, will be getting a first class trip to hospital.

Ah yes, another Keyboard Kommando. We're all Bruce Lee on the internet.

I don't fly much now that I'm retired, but United is no longer an option. And if they try to handcuff me, I'll go all Kung Foo on them.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:08 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
It's spelled out in the terms and conditions that you can be bumped.
It is spelled out and it doesn't cover bumping those who are already boarded for the convenience of the airlines.

This has been explained several times on the thread about the doctor who was assaulted and hauled off. Links and everything.

I'll bet the high-powered attorneys who've jumped on his case will able to explain it even better.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 04-13-2017 at 03:19 AM..

Old 04-13-2017, 03:10 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Ah yes, another Keyboard Kommando. We're all Bruce Lee on the internet.

I don't fly much now that I'm retired, but United is no longer an option. And if they try to handcuff me, I'll go all Kung Foo on them.
I'm the real deal- mad as a cut snake , and with fighting skills honed by my upbringing on the streets.

Good to see your fighting spirit.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post

There's no doubt United fumbled this by allowing the passengers to board before realizing they needed space for crew members, and maybe the whole overbooking/bumping policy needs to be reviewed and refined. But the bottom line is this: when an airline crew tells you to get off a plane, their decision is final and you'll either get off under your own power or be dragged off by guys with badges. In fact I can't figure out why this jackass wasn't arrested for interfering with a flight crew. IMO United is making a big mistake by trying to appease this guy and bend over backward apologizing and all that. They're sending a message that if you don't want to listen to the directives of a flight crew, all you have to do is throw a big hissy fit and you'll get special treatment.

Using your "logic," UA should double down on this guy. Show him who is in charge here. Maybe send a couple men with plastic badges to the hospital to haul him out of there for being a malingerer and making UA look bad.

Since this policy of assaulting and robbing people of the transportation they've purchased is working out so well, they should probably skip the $800 voucher for future flights offer and just tell passengers, "Tough tomatoes" when they steal their flight from them.

They can use the money they save on vouchers to pay their legal fees.

It's all good.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:17 AM

Regardless of what's in the airlines' fine print, involuntary bumping is legalized theft.

Old 04-13-2017, 04:00 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Aren't the police supposed to use minimum force and be able to justify their actions

As for people being overbooked, they have committed no criminal offence and the issue is usually contractural civil matter rather than a criminal offence.

It should be noted that the police are usually reluctant to get involved in civil disputes, however due to the current high levels of security and paranoia at airports, it seems airlines and the police can get away with just about anything.

Unless a person is breaking the law and putting people and property in danger then excessive force can not be justified imho.

Old 04-13-2017, 04:16 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Why is it an either/or situation?
Because one is a Constitutionally protected action and the other is not.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:32 AM

9,985 posts, read 5,689,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Using your "logic," UA should double down on this guy
That's YOUR "logic," not mine. Don't project your inability to see the options between the extremes on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Regardless of what's in the airlines' fine print, involuntary bumping is legalized theft.
No it's not. It's part of what you've agreed to and they are required to provide compensation if they can't re-book you within an hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Aren't the police supposed to use minimum force and be able to justify their actions

As for people being overbooked, they have committed no criminal offence and the issue is usually contractural civil matter rather than a criminal offence.

It should be noted that the police are usually reluctant to get involved in civil disputes, however due to the current high levels of security and paranoia at airports, it seems airlines and the police can get away with just about anything.

Unless a person is breaking the law and putting people and property in danger then excessive force can not be justified imho.
Police are authorized to remove trespassers. Once he was ordered off the plane and refused, that's what he became, and the police used the amount of force necessary to affect that removal given his refusal to leave the plane under his own power. We authorize police to deal with trespassers because we want to discourage people from resorting to self-help. If the passenger believes there is a contract dispute, he's not entitled to a favorable resolution on the spot. It can be worked out later through direction negotiations between the relevant parties, or through arbitration, or through the court system.

Last edited by Bitey; 04-13-2017 at 09:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies