Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2017, 03:33 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Yeah gawd what an awful design decision. What were they thinking? The thing is a death trap.

And that is the sort of thing that could get me as easily as a kid. If I trip I can hurtle around for 10 or 15 feet before I go down or regain balance. I can imagine going right into that crack head force and be done for before I would have a chance to get out.

They simply need to remove the booths or put them on casters so they easily move. Or add a reverse curve so the opening is an inch or less.
At some point those tables were not open like that.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...g?format=1000w
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 03:40 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why take a risk with a child's health/life if you don't know? That's irresponsible and downright dangerous.
Under normal circumstances letting a 5 year old walk four or five feet away is not a risk.

This was a hidden hazard that few if any non-technical people would appreciate.

It was easily fixable by good engineering and design practices and by sensible operating procedures on the part of the hotel.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:41 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
So where, exactly, did the boy get trapped in the mechanism. Some are saying it was by the window, others are saying it was behind a booth.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Under normal circumstances letting a 5 year old walk four or five feet away is not a risk.

This was a hidden hazard that few if any non-technical people would appreciate.
Oh, good grief, no. A heavy duty rotation mechanism? One would have to be colossally stupid to not understand the risk. Do you stick your fingers in between the moving parts of an airport baggage claim carousel because you "don't have the technical knowledge to understand how it works?"

Old 04-16-2017, 03:53 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
At some point those tables were not open like that.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...g?format=1000w
Intriguing. The solid design would appear reasonably safe. I might suggest filling in even more so a small kid could not wiggle back there. But the other design is a death trap.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Oh, good grief, no. A heavy duty rotation mechanism? One would have to be colossally stupid to not understand the risk. Do you stick your fingers in between the moving parts of an airport baggage claim carousel because you "don't have the technical knowledge to understand how it works?"

Post and position are pretty much nonsense. You expect a reasonably safe design. WaldoKitty shows both a pretty well safe design and one obviously very hazardous. I have been in a few of these rotating restaurants and have not seen one with the level of hazard of the bad design shown. And it would appear obvious that someone involved at one point understood the problem.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:02 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Intriguing. The solid design would appear reasonably safe. I might suggest filling in even more so a small kid could not wiggle back there. But the other design is a death trap.
Yeah I was surprised when I saw that. I like the look of the newer tables, but obviously there is an issue which they are going to have to address if this is indeed what happened.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Post and position are pretty much nonsense. You expect a reasonably safe design.
No, you don't. Ever. That's a very foolish and dangerous position to take, and explains why accidental drowning is one of the leading causes of childhood death.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:12 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
Don't have kids, this doesn't happen.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
No, you don't. Ever. That's a very foolish and dangerous position to take, and explains why accidental drowning is one of the leading causes of childhood death.
Do you go in buildings with roofs? Are you aware that roofs collapse particualry in badly done buildings? Do you avoid buildings with roofs? Carry with you a shelter to protect you and kid at all times against a roof collapse? Always walk near the wall and near exits and entrances so you are most protected and can escape if the roof starts falling?

Or do you do like the normal people and presume the roof is structurally sound?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies