Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2017, 04:19 PM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Do you go in buildings with roofs? Are you aware that roofs collapse particualry in badly done buildings? Do you avoid buildings with roofs? Carry with you a shelter to protect you and kid at all times against a roof collapse? Always walk near the wall and near exits and entrances so you are most protected and can escape if the roof starts falling?
Don't be ridicilous. The restaurant had KNOWN moving parts, by all. That's a specific feature of the restaurant. A weak roof cannot be known by all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 04:30 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Don't be ridicilous. The restaurant had KNOWN moving parts, by all. That's a specific feature of the restaurant. A weak roof cannot be known by all.
Roofs are structural and are known to fail. And it can be devastating. Just not very likely.

Most would presume a rotating restaurant is safe. We took my mother to one on her 80th birthday with no fear and we ran her wheel chair on the turntable and it did not bite us. And we took no preparation we would have not taken in any restaurant...and that was making sure we could get to it with a wheel chair.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:32 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Quote:
Roofs are structural and are known to fail. And it can be devastating. Just not very likely.

Most would presume a rotating restaurant is safe. We took my mother to one on her 80th birthday with no fear and we ran her wheel chair on the turntable and it did not bite us. And we took no preparation we would have not taken in any restaurant...and that was making sure we could get to it with a wheel chair.
Did you let kids run wild in the restaurant?

Old 04-16-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
The restaurant's main feature was a rotating floor and therefore rotating view. It's insanely stupid for anyone to think it's safe for a child to get too close to the rotation mechanism just like it's insanely stupid for one to stick one's hand in the moving parts of an airport baggage claim carousel.

Good grief! Do people really need to be "protected" from their own stupidity and negligence?

Old 04-16-2017, 04:57 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
He got stuck between the non-moveable wall and a rotating table.

There were other patrons in the restaurant as other patrons jumped up to help.

So he was either playing around a table with other patrons, or playing around a table that was likely set up with wine goblets, silverware, etc.

Parents could easily have figured out that this was no place for him to be playing, even without the rotating floor/table and immovable walls.

Not blaming the parents. No one should have to suffer through what they will over a few inattentive moments.

But this could have easily been prevented.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:59 PM

135 posts, read 88,654 times
Quote:
Your post makes no sense. People with pools can afford swimming lessons or get a book and learn to drown proof. The total cost of my kids learning was I think 25 cents each two nights a week. And in that case it came with a lady attendant who took care of snow suits and swim suits. It was actually a wonderful way to spend a couple of hours twice a week with the kids in the middle of an upstate NY winter.
My response makes sense to someone that doesn't live in a bubble. People with pools aren't the only ones who have a risk of drowning - a lot of people don't have pools and for sone people they can't afford lessons. I don't care about your specific situation or what you paid - generalizing your opinion to the entire population is foolish.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanmichael View Post
My response makes sense to someone that doesn't live in a bubble. People with pools aren't the only ones who have a risk of drowning - a lot of people don't have pools and for sone people they can't afford lessons. I don't care about your specific situation or what you paid - generalizing your opinion to the entire population is foolish.
Again your post makes no sense. When my kids learned to swim we had no pool and the likely swimming actions would be at public beaches open and attended by all.

I would however note that a vast number of drownings occur at residential pools. So the children of owners and guests. We lose a few here each year at Lake Mead though those are majority adults and often involve alcohol or stupid adult tricks. The big number however is children in a residential pool. Public pool deaths are rare. So it is the child of the pool owner who is at risk.

Using reasonable public resources and teaching yourself learning to swim can be a very cheap to free activity. In fact it is a little shocking that it is not the poor unpooled who die...it is the children or grandchildren of pool owners.

I am still unable to buy into the drownings being in some way similar to the rotating restaurant death. I can see substantial neglect of reasonable safety precautions in the drownings. I see no call for special safety precaution in a restaurant rotating or other. And a kid can get run into by a fast moving server and get hurt or killed. Then again that can happen of a street. Thirty five years ago a kid darted into my wife and I walking fast along a public street and we both ended up going down on the kid. Nobody was hurt but it could easily have gone the other way.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I am still unable to buy into the drownings being in some way similar to the rotating restaurant death.
Very simple: unsupervised children having access to a known risk.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:48 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
A competent engineer/architect would not allow such a risk. And it may have been a later modification. But any person designing such a facility would not allow such a risk.

This is similar to the sad death of a young lady at Disneyland in the 70s. She was crushed to death when a moving wall moved against a stationary one crushing her. Disney immediately installed sensors to prevent motion when anyone was in the way and then converted to breakaway walls that could not crush.

When you design this stuff you rule out any such pinch points as a matter of course.
Yes, the America Sings incident. It was a Carousel of Progress style turntable show. You enter the seats and then rotate around five or six rooms, four housing audio animatronic scenes. The two others would be an entrance or an exit. The design flaw was that person was too close to the wall. That said, Disney did the right thing.

Disney has a similar eatery in Disney World that continually rotates. I haven't heard of any issues of pinch points causing injury or death.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Very simple: unsupervised children having access to a known risk.
Children that drown generally are unsupervised though not always. Familiar with one case when mom was sitting in a pool supervising and a kid drowned almost at her feet. When I was learning to swim I just about drowned. Mother was watching closely but did not realize what was happening. Luckily another adult realized I was in trouble and hauled me out. So you can drown while well supervised.

But there is no indication whatsoever this kid at Sundial was unsupervised. Likely parents were within a few feet and watching him. He died because the bad thing happened in a few seconds and they could not get to him in such a short time. They may well have had their hands on him as he was killed.

And it is absolutely a design flaw, and a terrible one, if the place is configured as shown in WaldoKitty pictures. And the restaurant and whoever did it will pay off big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies