Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 10:37 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,562,839 times

Advertisements

Trump set to announce new tax plan....

.. very favorable to tRump.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 11:39 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,806,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Personally, I couldn't care less about what he does with the "top 1%" as long as my taxes get lowered too.

Why is the left so obsessed with the "top 1%" ?

It's not only the left that's obsessed with the 1%. Why does it have to be a partisan issue? We have a look over there president that loves to create artificial enemies and diversions while he does something under handed like gut the EPA. He rolls back legislation to allow Dow chemical to place a dangerous pesticide back on the market. How much did Dow chemical contribute to Trump's inauguration? A cool one million. Read about. "Now they want him to toss a study on pesticides." I certainly hope you don't live close to where these pesticides will be used and your water supply isn't close by. If you do live in that area you should be obsessed with the 1% cronyism and corruption that is happening right under your blind nose.

Trump has a 1% cabinet and has populated the white house with lobbyist lawyers and consultants who are helping to craft new policies that in many cases were places they obtained paychecks from. Some were given secret waiver exemptions from ethics rules. Google it. It's a good read. Drain the swamp? Hardly. This is a pay to play administration on steroids.

We have a sketchy, secretive president that is going to reform taxes who won't release his tax returns to show what possible entanglements that could further enhance his already epic money grab? Seriously?

Oh wait, wasn't it repealing Obama care last week, or was it building the wall. I'm so confused. It changes daily. Can't you see the pattern? What's really going on under the table while we look over there?

I'm glad you're not concerned about the way we have lost credibility, and you're comfortable with the greedy 1% running our country. I for one don't sleep very well knowing that he is our president. I wish ignorance was bliss for me. I have deep concerns. The more I read, the deeper the concerns, and it ISN'T fake news.

Oh a bit of good news this week. Exxon applied for a waiver to work with Rosneft to drill for oil in Russia. As of yet the answer is no. The sanctions remain.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:07 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,280,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I predict the debt will not only never be paid off...
Really going out on a limb there, aren't you?

(I'm definitely agreeing with you.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I no longer support tax cuts without offsetting spending cuts because it makes growing government at the expense of our children too easy.
Yes, definitely. But there's basically nowhere substantive to cut.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:25 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,969,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Personally, I couldn't care less about what he does with the "top 1%" as long as my taxes get lowered too.

Why is the left so obsessed with the "top 1%" ?
Because wealth means power. And power is a zero sum game. The more they get, the less power you get. Any society where inequality skyrockets leads to the top 1% hijacking the democratic process. That means the 99% will be increasingly powerless.

Ask yourself this question: What's so great about having a system where you are forced to beg the super rich for donations and be beholden to them in order to win an election?

Old 04-22-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
...power is a zero sum game...
I was tempted to call BS. But instead I'll say this is why I'm against statism and collectivism and for powerful individuals with economic freedom and self-determination.

Technology and capitalism have made everyone more powerful than most humans have ever been, historically.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:47 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,969,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I was tempted to call BS. But instead I'll say this is why I'm against statism and collectivism and for powerful individuals with economic freedom and self-determination.

Technology and capitalism have made everyone more powerful than most humans have ever been, historically.
Oligarchy is statism. We live in a rigged economy held up by a corrupt system of campaign finance. You just have to look at the sharp distinction between public policy and public opinion in America to know how much power the 99% really have in our political system. Trump just signed an internet spying bill with 6% support among the American people. How is that possible? Big donors. Transferring even more power and wealth into the hands of the ultra rich will only make things worse.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:55 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,641,728 times
If Trump cuts my taxes, i will not spend more and frankly most people with a few bucks will not either.

Why?

What would i spend it on? I don't want the hassle of a boat, i have enough "stuff", i have zero interest in fancy cars. (i mean who wants to street park a 80k car?)

What would we do with the extra money? honestly it would just roll in some diverse investments, and with the dollar so strong we are currently buying foreign held stuff than anything else...

Old 04-22-2017, 01:02 PM

If Trump cut my taxes, I would use two-thirds (of the additional part of my income that wasn't confiscated) to invest more in my future in order to be able to self-sustain in retirement, and one-third to spend in the local economy (farmer's market, restaurants, local events). I'd probably increase the amount I give through Patreon to content creators I support.

Old 04-22-2017, 01:04 PM

45,241 posts, read 26,477,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
If Trump cuts my taxes, i will not spend more and frankly most people with a few bucks will not either.

Why?

What would i spend it on? I don't want the hassle of a boat, i have enough "stuff", i have zero interest in fancy cars. (i mean who wants to street park a 80k car?)

What would we do with the extra money? honestly it would just roll in some diverse investments, and with the dollar so strong we are currently buying foreign held stuff than anything else...
Donate to charity, help someone less fortunate than you?

Old 04-22-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
If Trump cuts my taxes...
If you're rolling in the dough, why not go ahead and do your country a favor by increasing the amount you pay in federal income taxes? Literally nothing is stopping you from paying more in than the minimum you pay in now after all the net 1040 line items and secondary forms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies