Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 11:32 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
we could beat them this time, assuming china allows it. But the cost would be insanely high. Far worse than any war the usa has fought since at least wwII but maybe in our history. there is a fair chance NK could hit us with a dirty bomb, or bombs.
My concern is more things like weaponized hemorrhagic fever. Lets hope the South Koreans are wrong about the biological warfare programs in N. Korea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 11:35 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
So "on the premises" is not sufficient?
Not if it is not secure. There is a space at Capitol Hill which is designed for these kinds of meetings, and they have taken all the necessary steps to make sure it is secure. What is the point in doing it anywhere else, just because the president wants to boss people around?

Old 04-25-2017, 11:39 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Why did we start anything with North Korea. Feels as if the President keeps antagonizing one bee and then a bunch of bees see it now we all are getting stung. Have issues with Russia and China regarding NK. NK making more and more threats back to the U.S. after they make statements against them. NK now making more threats and prepping for aggressive actions towards our allies. NK heard in the news possibly hoping to institute another Tet Offense. Now holding three Americans hostage in NK.

Should of backed off in the first place and let sleeping dogs lie.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:42 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Surprised he's not wanting them all to meet him at Mar-A-Lago.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:44 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I think he plans on locking the doors and keeping them there until they agree on the wall and an ACA replacement, the North Korea stuff is just bait.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Not if it is not secure. There is a space at Capitol Hill which is designed for these kinds of meetings, and they have taken all the necessary steps to make sure it is secure. What is the point in doing it anywhere else, just because the president wants to boss people around?
This is the part I can't figure out either. They are spending money apparently to convert the meeting place to SCIF levels, something they already have space for and setup at capital hill.

Additionally...anything released to 100+ people, then later the entire house...is going to be on the news within minutes.

The only reasonable thought is the start of a military conflict, or Trump trying to act like the boss. Why move 300 people in, when 4 of yours could go there. All in the middle of budget discussions. The only reasons I can think of to setup a new SCIF room that large are that the SCIF at the capital building is believed to be compromised in some way, or that they want everyone incommunicado while the strikes kick off. Which would be perfectly reasonable.

If its just power positioning, and its just a regular briefing.....what a massive waste of congressional time. And the optics are humiliating. Given that he also has scheduled tax reform announcements then...busy day, and I simply cant square releasing the tax stuff on the same day as military action.

Heres a thought....that would be the perfect time to phone up the N. Korea leadership and ask if they will negotiate things.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:53 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
we could beat them this time, assuming china allows it. But the cost would be insanely high. Far worse than any war the usa has fought since at least wwII but maybe in our history. there is a fair chance NK could hit us with a dirty bomb, or bombs.
I'm not sure, we haven't been able to fully mop up Afghanistan or Iraq. Not to mention the US loss in Vietnam. War isn't like it used to be in historical times where the military and population capitulates and concedes. Today underground guerilla resistance has proven to be very effective against conventional militaries, dragging out the conflict for years and wearing down the invading army. But then I am far from being an expert on this subject so I could be very wrong on this. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of confidence in Trump's decision-making skills.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:02 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Or strikes on selected targets on North Korea's nuclear weapons infrastructure and missile research and testing facilities.

Why not? They are your neighbors and you are your brother's keeper. Besides, the US created this mess in the first place, so the US should clean it up.
By the US, you mean Clinton, right?

NK has made it clear they want to attack us. Should we wait until they finally develop a weapon that can accomplish that?

Old 04-25-2017, 01:08 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Of course Trump doesn't want a nuclear war but he is playing with fire -- recklessly.

He may be laying the groundwork for a conventional preemptive strike to take out North Korea's missile or nuke capability, to set them back, like Israel did to Iran several years ago. Doing a preemptive strike is extremely risky because Kim Jong Un seems unstable and might react by lobbing a nuke at South Korea, perhaps at a military base that has a US presence.

Trump better not be thinking of a ground war. We couldn't win one there in 1950 and we cannot win one there now. North Korea's standing army is huge.
And their weapons are ancient. For the record, South Korea's army is huge as well, since every male citizen is technically a member, has been trained, and will be called up.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
I'm not sure, we haven't been able to fully mop up Afghanistan or Iraq. Not to mention the US loss in Vietnam. War isn't like it used to be in historical times where the military and population capitulates and concedes. Today underground guerilla resistance has proven to be very effective against conventional militaries, dragging out the conflict for years and wearing down the invading army. But then I am far from being an expert on this subject so I could be very wrong on this. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of confidence in Trump's decision-making skills.
Depends. Theres a difference between taking a country, and smashing one. I've always felt that if you arent going to keep a country, then fixing it should be left to the people of the country, with some outside support-like say 1/10th of what we have done. The only way the money we have spent in these places would be reasonable is if they were going to be made into states.

But here I think Trump will just break stuff. And thats what militaries are good at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies