Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:00 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,804,762 times

Advertisements

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life."
Theodore Roosevelt

Two very prophetic statements. Two of our greatest leaders. There's a lot to be learned from country's past. America today faces nearly the same issues that Roosevelt faced 100 years ago and his hero and mine, Lincoln did as he entered office.

I wish we had a Teddy Roosevelt today! Sadly, I don't see that type of total talent in any of the current offerings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 07:28 AM

418 posts, read 564,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life."
Theodore Roosevelt

Two very prophetic statements. Two of our greatest leaders. There's a lot to be learned from country's past. America today faces nearly the same issues that Roosevelt faced 100 years ago and his hero and mine, Lincoln did as he entered office.

I wish we had a Teddy Roosevelt today! Sadly, I don't see that type of total talent in any of the current offerings.

You are so right... first American heroes were truly that! They made US a great country... corrupt bureocrats greedy for profits will now lead this country down...

It is also the media. Does ANYONE here know that in real terms, American middle class is at 15th place by OECD measures? And yes, it is falling quickly... also, when you add up DEBT US consumers have, as well as HI costs etc. middle class is dying and going to the bottom. In that case, it would be almost on bottom of western world.

But hey, those earning 100 million$ a year are better off... ever year. Who cares about middle class? remove top 1%, where are US incomes then?

Work till you drop'... sadly, this applies even to min wage workers.

I remember once WHEN i was in Vegas, this old waitress served me... her hands were shaking, she was 80 years old. I asked her WHY she is working?

She said that she can't make ends meet... her pension would be almost zero, no health insurance at all... i felt extremely sorry for her. She has no vacation,
a few ill days, works for a few pennies above min salary.

In fact, many people in US work to such advanced age that this shocks me... fueled by extreme debt, health costs etc. people are forced to do that.

In US, you are good while you're young and NOT sick... as soon as you get old, disabled, sick... you are quickly "disposed of". This country does nothing to care about elderly, sick people. It does not care even about young children, let alone anyone else.

Indeed, NOWHERE in the western world do people work SO much-for so little, so many years, and even 3 JOBS at the same time to make ends meet-and for no benefits(and little money). This was a shock to me.

But, AS SOON as you turn on MTV; you can see "Fabulous life of super-rich". They have private jets... while tens of millions can't afford a dentist.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:13 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,197,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiksi View Post
Again, people seem to be taking this personally...

I was not attacking anyone, I am an American citizen, just as you are! I hold US passport, so I am rightfully entitled to speak about things.

It seems that, every time someone says something is wrong in this society,
people speak "Why do they come"... You know why? Because, what movies show us, isn't the way Americans live.
Speaking for myself, I'm not taking it personally, just responding to what I perceive as incorrect statements.

Yes, you absolutely have the right to say whatever you want, up to the point of "shouting fire in a crowded theater", and I will defend your right to do so. Having said that, the right to do it doesn't make what you say right, and you will be called out on what you say.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Speaking for myself, I'm not taking it personally, just responding to what I perceive as incorrect statements.

Yes, you absolutely have the right to say whatever you want, up to the point of "shouting fire in a crowded theater", and I will defend your right to do so. Having said that, the right to do it doesn't make what you say right, and you will be called out on what you say.

What I say doesn't have to be right or wrong... check the stats. Watch the "Sicko", read the numbers about poverty, infant death rates etc.

I was shocked myself when i came to this country... i couldn't say then, that i knew USA just by being here for a short time. But now, after all these years...

I am married to American, were it not for that, i would have probably left earlier... the older i get, the sicker i will probably be, children need education, proper education. Also, i don't like guns, violence etc.

This ALL doesn't mean that USA is bad or doesn't offer opportunities... it does, but that's just a part of the story.

One can think and perceive all he/she wants, but NASTY poverty numbers, homeless, uninsured etc. won't vanish into thin air.

I think that EVERY country should provide some basics to its citizens- including healthcare, and functioning social system. The US fails to do that.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:43 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
I think that EVERY country should provide some basics to its citizens- including healthcare, and functioning social system. The US fails to do that.
Are you suggesting that the United States provide the following to all of its citizens?

Guaranteed minimum income?

Guaranteed, government paid health insurance?

Guaranteed minimum retirement income?

Guaranteed paid vacation benefits?

Guaranteed paid sick leave benefits?

Are these some of the things you would prefer the government provide?

Old 03-08-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Are you suggesting that the United States provide the following to all of its citizens?

Guaranteed minimum income?

Guaranteed, government paid health insurance?

Guaranteed minimum retirement income?

Guaranteed paid vacation benefits?

Guaranteed paid sick leave benefits?

Are these some of the things you would prefer the government provide?
FAR richer countries than USA provide ALL of these, at the same time, their citizens enjoy higher salaries, higher living standards, LESS crime.

HOW far down do i have to scroll to see ANY US city on high quality of life places?

Besides US, TELL me, which western country doesn't guarantee HI for all? Which western country doesn't guarantee MINIMUM vacation time? WHICH western country provides virtually no benefits for mothers, paid maternity leave?

You'll see US is the one...

Old 03-08-2008, 02:52 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
FAR richer countries than USA provide ALL of these, at the same time, their citizens enjoy higher salaries, higher living standards, LESS crime.

HOW far down do i have to scroll to see ANY US city on high quality of life places?

Besides US, TELL me, which western country doesn't guarantee HI for all? Which western country doesn't guarantee MINIMUM vacation time? WHICH western country provides virtually no benefits for mothers, paid maternity leave?

You'll see US is the one...
You did not answer my questions.

Is it your position that the United States, and the US Government should provide all that I listed?

Old 03-08-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You did not answer my questions.

Is it your position that the United States, and the US Government should provide all that I listed?
US government should push, through laws, things which benefit its citizens.

Actually, government should provide more... these benefits are only a part of the deal.

It's not only the matter of what is provided, BUT how much.

to counter you, do YOU know ANY western country which doesn't provide what i said?

Old 03-08-2008, 03:25 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,693,366 times
woah, I truly agree with fiski. And you do have a point about old people: I've seen people in age of retirement working in the US, just because they are not able to pay HC costs or their pensions are sh*t. It's real sad, people who worked hard troughout their lives should be able to have a peaceful retirement.

I've been in Miami recently. Between Coconut Gorve and Coral Gables (two of the richest districts) there's a pure ghetto, luxury close to poverty. Some slums in certain American cities look more to those of 3 world countries than of Wstern ones. I have thought about moving to the US myself; however, when you talk with the real middle-class American, you realise that life ain't easy over there, at least not the way Hollywood shows us.

and please, it's true that you can get wealthy in America despite being from a low-income background, the famous rags to riches. But this doesn't apply to everyone, only to a few who are lucky. Can you say that those people in Pittsburgh or Youngstown, who are in their 50's and now see their factories closed, haven't worked hard enough to have good retirement? They have, and now they face the dark face of capitalism.

about the welfare thing. There's a distorted vision about this issue. You Americans believe that what you call welfare (Government provided healthcare, for instance) is a kind of charity for the lazy. I believe that it's a right inherent to people.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
woah, I truly agree with fiski. And you do have a point about old people: I've seen people in age of retirement working in the US, just because they are not able to pay HC costs or their pensions are sh*t. It's real sad, people who worked hard troughout their lives should be able to have a peaceful retirement.

I've been in Miami recently. Between Coconut Gorve and Coral Gables (two of the richest districts) there's a pure ghetto, luxury close to poverty. Some slums in certain American cities look more to those of 3 world countries than of Wstern ones. I have thought about moving to the US myself; however, when you talk with the real middle-class American, you realise that life ain't easy over there, at least not the way Hollywood shows us.

and please, it's true that you can get wealthy in America despite being from a low-income background, the famous rags to riches. But this doesn't apply to everyone, only to a few who are lucky. Can you say that those people in Pittsburgh or Youngstown, who are in their 50's and now see their factories closed, haven't worked hard enough to have good retirement? They have, and now they face the dark face of capitalism.

about the welfare thing. There's a distorted vision about this issue. You Americans believe that what you call welfare (Government provided healthcare, for instance) is a kind of charity for the lazy. I believe that it's a right inherent to people.

Yes, i know... that old lady of 80 years... i gave her a nice tip. But many people work literally till they die!

Many "private" pensions in USA have failed. Remember government bailouts? Remember Enron?

THESE people have lost it ALL.

FYI, I am SORRY to have moved to USA. I am going back, though... my brother lives in Switzerland(I'm from Croatia), and that's probably where i'll be going, Zuerich area.

These people they show on TV, these are fortunate ones... one in a million!

And yes, MANY parts of USA look like third world countries... it makes you cry.

Also, about "from rugs to riches", more and more are uninsured, can't afford anything...

I never quite met people like these hard working people before... Why do you work 3 jobs i asked? They say, because each pays 5$/hr, i have no pension, my child is sick, i have no HI...

SOME people work LITERALLY to be able to buy basic medications, 10+ hours a day!

I KNOW some people go to Mexico for cheaper drugs... this is very sad.

Also... work is horrendous. Vacations? Yes... 10s of millions have no sickdays, no vacations, no NOTHING. You get sick one day, the other you're fired.

Losing job means losing everything in USA... and working hours are extreme compared to other nations. Basically, people with NO LIFE at all often force everyone to keep working. If you leave, they get promoted, or you get fired!

No choice but rat race... I'm so stressed out, sometimes i hardly sleep at all. My wife and kids, i have little time for them... my quality of life is suffering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies