Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 03:06 PM

2,688 posts, read 4,233,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
The only people the right are interested in reading about are the top 1% who they identify with while living in their house on wheels with a propane tank hanging off the rear.
Yep, temporarily embarrassed millionaires, the lot of 'em.

Temporarily Embarrassed Millionaires
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 03:51 PM

11,519 posts, read 14,714,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
Nobody is denied care when they are in a life and death situation. The left needs to stop with the scare tactics.
Well, on your way there you surely will be denied care! No physician will see you out of his/her good will. No hospital will forget your bill. People file bankruptcy in many of these cases. People who don't have insurance or good insurance even forgo many treatments, including their life giving medications. Emergency care for conditions that could have been treated more easily in a doctor's office cost plenty more than preventative or early condition care. I've seen this as a nurse, they'll take their meds on alternate days or when they can afford them. There's a study, since Obama Care, how many, many people are actually getting treatment for their chronic conditions. That saves us all a lot of money, but people have to look at this in the long view, not the short term view.

Old 05-06-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyweight View Post
The representative (and I use that term loosely) made this declaration at a town hall. This is how out of touch, willfully ignorant, callous and detached from their constituents the GOP has become.

GOP rep: "Nobody dies because they don't have access to healthcare"

GOP promised to cover preexisting conditions and promptly removed the broken promise from their website. Trumpcare is such a dumpster fire for the vast majority of the population that the senate refuses to use it as a baseline.

Of course, people die because they don't have access to healthcare that's affordable. They don't buy insurance or they get the crappiest plan and they don't take their meds! People w/ this situation often times forgo preventative and early condition care.

Old 05-06-2017, 03:57 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,581,720 times
Quote:
Nobody is denied care when they are in a life and death situation. The left needs to stop with the scare tactics.
Oh really? People get denied or delayed on cancer treatment all the time and they die as a result.

Old 05-06-2017, 04:01 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,312,245 times
And this shows how much of a bubble the GOP lives in.

Old 05-06-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Almost all hospitals receive federal funds and are required to have some free care for cancer and reduced cost services available. These services are targeted for those who have no health insurance, have cancer, and aren't eligible for medicaid or medicare. Check with the financial services dept at the hospital...and ask to apply for free care.

Stop listening to liberal b.s.
Ya, hospitals are giving out free care!! Right, must be as a nurse all these years I missed that one.

Cancer is a chronic condition in many cases. People have surgery, get chemo, radiation and long term medication sometimes. Sometimes it's "cured," but more often than other times it's a long term type of situation characterized by peaks and valley's in someone's health. This requires continual medical care and by a physician that knows that person's history--not a one time deal. A doc that even sees you in the ER knows very little about you and can only treat you minimally at best. If it's a big emergency, you'll get care, but always have to follow up w/ your PCP or primary doctor. Health care is not a one shot deal!

You don't just go to a hospital when you have cancer to have it cured!!!It's not like that. By that time you get symptoms of cancer (usually) it's in a later stage and can not be completely curable or treatable (if you wait too long). That's why people go to physicians to not end up at that point--preventative and early care. This is the whole point of having a doctor and something people without insurance commonly don't do!

Medicaid is an option for under 65, but it's not always the best care. It's very minimal at best. Medicare is for those over 65, but only covers 80%. People get a medigap plan to cover the remaining 20 %. Community health centers, in some areas, might give vaccinations and basic physicals. The care isn't that comprehensive and not in all areas. It's probably covered by Medicaid, but very limited overall.

Many diseases or condition can wrack up to tens of thousands of dollars if not more. This is why people without insurance or w/ lousy insurance end up in bankruptcy or dead.

Old 05-06-2017, 04:20 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,913,450 times
Quote:
My brother in law's COBRA ran out And he was denied insurance at any cost due to a preexisting. He figured he would wait it out till he turned 65 and eligible for Medicare which he had contributed to for 40 years. No one in the family knew this at the time.

One day he was unable to get out of bed and was transported to the ER by ambulance. Within 24 hours he was diagnosed with stage 4 Cancer and his organs were in the process of shutting down. He died within a few days.

His preexisting had absolutely nothing to do with his cause of death.

And his 40 years of Medicare taxes did not benefit him.

No telling if he had been insured if there might have been a different outcome.

As I understand it, Trumpcare will allow a state to apply for an exemption to charge those with preexisting conditions higher premiums if there is a gap in insurance. There is no universal definition of condition, as in preexisting.

It's up to states to decide things like maximum out of pockets and annual/ lifetime caps on claims.

Old 05-06-2017, 04:35 PM

26,133 posts, read 22,322,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The ACA provided INSURANCE not healthcare.

It was insurance that the poor couldn't pay the premiums on much less the deductibles.
Exactly. There was nothing about "affordable healthcare" to the ACA.

Well, the "poor" can qualify for Medicaid, it is the layer up that couldn't pay the premiums and then afford to actually go because of the deductibles and/or co-pays, so they were fined even though they didn't have enough money in the first place to buy insurance. "A dog chasing its tail?"

I believe this was driven by the insurance companies to make a bundle, but when people didn't or couldn't afford to buy in, those that knew they would be using it heavily did buy in and made it less profitable than the insurance companies desired, so they started dropping out.

I tend to agree that "Nobody dies because they don't have access to healthcare." Everything I have ever heard is that some want to expensive unproven treatments and may be denied that. I always think that anything unproven where one is substituting for a lab rat shouldn't be charged for in the first place.

Here, I see a lot of fundraisers that earn thousands of dollars to help with medical expenses for families not on Medicaid that can't afford treatment. Gee, they have spaghetti dinners, chili feeds, raffles, etc.

I don't see where the Democrats think all the money is going to come from especially when they want to open the flood doors to the world's poor bringing diseases and illnesses to share with Americans.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:41 PM

27,306 posts, read 16,284,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Do you consider cancer a life and death situation? If you have no insurance, you will receive no treatment. And you're dead. Seems pretty life and death to me.
Why is it my problem because someone gets ill and can't afford his deductibles?

Old 05-06-2017, 05:54 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,949,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
What you don't get is that emergency room access once you're in a critical condition is NOT ENOUGH.

You need access to real care throughout the healthcare cycle. That cancer patient you just supported vastly increasing premiums on for pre-existing condition still needs access to treatment even outside of an emergency room - else once they show up in ER, their chances of survival may be greatly eroded.

And that's exactly how people in charge of policy who think like you end up killing the vulnerable. Sure, the ER is open to you - but access to treatment that prevents you from ending up in the ER? Only allowed if you're healthy and/or rich.
Oddly I am not particularly healthy or rich yet I have great insurance for me and the diabetic wife for 300 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies