Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2017, 02:46 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Do you consider healthcare a basic human right?
No, since Rights are intrinsic and innate to the Human Being, and do not require 2nd or 3rd Parties to fulfill those rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 02:48 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Do you consider healthcare a basic human right?
I think healthcare should be available to any one who needs it and not just for the wealthy.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:49 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,072,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I'm having a hard time with the intellectual dishonesty from many in the "yes" crowd. Acting like it's survival of the fittest, or that saying it's not a right means you're against healthcare or against helping people in need.

It's not a right, and people can also be helped without forcing anyone to do anything. The two are not mutually exclusive, but nobody is addressing that point honestly. They're going with the old false dichotomy of free healthcare vs. letting people die in the streets.
I have a hard time understanding how people see some kind of difference between private and public insurance, like wishing for one somehow categorizes you as a commie big government pansy or wishing for the other somehow magically transforms you into a rugged individualist while you get reamed up the backside. It's hard to enjoy liberty and freedom when you're mortgaging your home to pay for your wife's/child's/put-other-loved-one-here healthcare.

Americans have either never heard of the most important freedom you can have besides the your own, or they don't care...and that's economic freedom. Americans are slaves and many of you love yourselves for it.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:51 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
No, since Rights are intrinsic and innate to the Human Being, and do not require 2nd or 3rd Parties to fulfill those rights.

And those would be?

Old 05-07-2017, 02:52 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
I have a hard time understanding how people see some kind of difference between private and public insurance, like wishing for one somehow categorizes you as a commie big government pansy or wishing for the other somehow magically transforms you into a rugged individualist while you get reamed up the backside. It's hard to enjoy liberty and freedom when you're mortgaging your home to pay for your wife's/child's/put-other-loved-one-here healthcare.

Americans have either never heard of the most important freedom you can have besides the your own, or they don't care...and that's economic freedom. Americans are slaves and many of you love yourselves for it.
Yes. So, so true!!!

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I'm having a hard time with the intellectual dishonesty from many in the "yes" crowd. Acting like it's survival of the fittest, or that saying it's not a right means you're against healthcare or against helping people in need.

It's not a right, and people can also be helped without forcing anyone to do anything. The two are not mutually exclusive, but nobody is addressing that point honestly. They're going with the old false dichotomy of free healthcare vs. letting people die in the streets.
I get what you're saying, and I'd love it if everyone voluntarily agreed to help each other out if they were truly in need.

But that's not how it is. I have very little confidence that enough people would care about each other for it to be a sustainable social safety net.

Even if they did actually care about other people outside their family, many would be too guarded about the possibility of a few bad eggs abusing their charity -- understandably so, but then those honestly in need just end up paying the price.

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Ahhh...but are you prepared if you broke your neck tomorrow and were in a traction device, completely paralyzed for the rest of your life? Could all the money you make (today) keep you alive and pay for your ventilator? Do you have enough put away (right now) that you never need to work again, starting today? That truck payment, well....who will you give your truck to since you won't be driving it with a broken back? I always believe in being prepared. Smart to me..... isn't buying the most expensive truck because you hopefully are looking at the bigger picture. Do you have all your ducks in a row?
I break my neck high enough I die.
The bank comes and gets the truck as a check hasn't made it nor any phone call been placed.
If paralyzed can't function at all, leave me for the buzzards. I have a mosoleium bought and paid for. I have a fire arms trust. My Harley, my other truck, my tool box, tools, and other things become part of a standing trust that my little sister would get.

I've got a lawyer an accountant a stock broker and everything is all set up.
No wife no kids sister gets what's paid for, bank gets what ever I have a loan on... I have nobody they can come after for money if they liquidate the items at auction and have a balance remaining. I also have 2 life insurance policies that I got when I was 21 or 22... so... I'm set.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:54 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,846,460 times
Yes. Basic healthcare is a basic human right. Unbelievable that this is even debatable. I wonder how many who answer "no" consider themselves to be Christians.

Only in America...

Old 05-07-2017, 02:55 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
lol! I forgot to add no more sexual activity because that won't be working if your neck is broken.
No sexual activity going on now anyways, not worth the risk of what's floating around out there or having kids I'm not ready for...

Old 05-07-2017, 02:55 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
Uh ... NO. I see no reason why veterans should be entitled to a human right in preference to others. In my opinion, veterans already receive too many preferences and favors.

We should have universal health coverage in the United States. Our current system relegates our most vulnerable residents (the poor, the unemployed, the elderly, minorities, immigrants) to the back of the bus, and sometimes forces them off the bus. I'm part of that system, and I'm sick of it. Don't talk to me about "repealing Obamacare" until you see a patient who is in septic shock and on life support because they couldn't afford to see a doctor for an abscess or an abdominal pain.

When will repugnicans realize that universal health coverage will be cheaper in the long run than our current system(s), if only because of the cost savings realized from eliminating the middle man (the insurance industry) from the equation ? If you are against universal health coverage, it's for one reason: you're selfish.

When will Liberal doctors, nurses, hospital administrators, drug company executives and employees, etc who think healthcare is a "right" start working pro bono?

Do you not see the hypocrisy in saying something is a human right and not being willing to provide that right for others without recompense?

Does that not in fact, make YOU selfish?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies