Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2017, 12:22 PM

1,186 posts, read 967,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
How much did you pay in taxes that paid for your medical "insurance" while you were in the UK?
It's no secret, the money comes out of income and/or property taxes. However, as I'm sure you're aware, the increase in taxes still typically results in a net savings for *most* people, when compared to the high monthly premiums, deductibles and low coverage offered by most private insurers in the US. People in the UK/Canada (or in the US and advocate for this type of program) already understand and are willing to pay higher taxes in order that both their family and those who are less fortunate can escape the clutches of private insurers and have access to healthcare without the threat of financial ruin. Of course, those who are financially well-off can choose to pay extra for access to private hospitals; however (using the UK as an example again) the public or University hospitals often receive more research funding, and therefore offer more cutting-edge technologies and services in many cases. It's not really comparable to the US where the quality of a hospital is usually directly proportional to the cost of services offered.

To use a similar example, in my current state (NY), about 75% of our property taxes go towards funding the public schools. Even though I, and others in my neighborhood, have no children, we still understand the need for quality public education and that the higher taxes are necessary in order to fund quality schools in a civilized society. Healthcare is much the same.

Last edited by vladlensky; 05-22-2017 at 12:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 12:24 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Remember, that coverage and reimbursement didn't drop out of the sky. Someone paid for it. And billionaires such as Mick Jagger have a way of escaping any responsibility.
I think everyone in England understands it is paid through taxes. That is what they have chosen to do.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:26 PM

1,186 posts, read 967,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
of course it didn't. No one with UHC has ever claimed its free.

And all the better argument for comprehensive tax reform to ensure that tax loopholes are not being exploited by those who should be paying for such services.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:41 PM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think everyone in England understands it is paid through taxes. That is what they have chosen to do.
I think most supporters of UHC don't understand the concept that money and benefits don't grow on trees. See Why Should Society Bail People Out From Bad Choices? Life is characterized by choices. Why should everyone else bail people out of bad decisions?

Old 05-22-2017, 07:56 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
I think most supporters of UHC don't understand the concept that money and benefits don't grow on trees. See Why Should Society Bail People Out From Bad Choices? Life is characterized by choices. Why should everyone else bail people out of bad decisions?
yeah bad choices...my step son died at 25 from testicular cancer, he didn't smoke, drink or do drugs. He was a runner and a mountain climber, he supported him self by working as a carpenter's helper but he did not have health insurance. If you ever meet his father, my husband, I would suggest you miss him with your 'choices' lecture.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:58 PM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
yeah bad choices...my step son died at 25 from testicular cancer, he didn't smoke, drink or do drugs. He was a runner and a mountain climber, he supported him self by working as a carpenter's helper but he did not have health insurance. If you ever meet his father, my husband, I would suggest you miss him with your 'choices' lecture.
There are always hard cases. But what about the 20 year old ghetto girls with two or three children already and pregnant? When they're zombied out are the mothers of 16 year olds really pushing their kids to succeed in school?

Old 05-22-2017, 08:02 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
I'm sorry
If you mind sharing, what were the type of costs associated with treatment without insurance?

Old 05-22-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
I'm sorry
If you mind sharing, what were the type of costs associated with treatment without insurance?
I never saw a bill from the hospital so I don't know what their charges were, since he was an adult they did not bill either my husband or his mother for the hospital fees, and since he died with few assets they did not pursue collection. The Doctor at UC Davis where he was hospitalized for the last 3 weeks of his life told my husband that if he had been properly diagnosed 6 months earlier when he first complained of back pain he probably would have had a different outcome.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
There are always hard cases. But what about the 20 year old ghetto girls with two or three children already and pregnant? When they're zombied out are the mothers of 16 year olds really pushing their kids to succeed in school?
What about them? It's tragic, we need to educate all children on how to be responsible adults...but what do you suggest doing with that 20 year old with 3 kids? leave the kids to starve and deny them medical care because they have a child for a parent? Can I remind you that those kids didn't have any choice in the matter?

Old 05-23-2017, 07:23 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
yes, that's true, life expectancy dropped on the average by what? a little over one month and if you had bothered to read the rest of the study you would find that the increase of the death rate was due to:

Most notably, the overall death rate for Americans increased because mortality from heart disease and stroke increased after declining for years. Deaths were also up from Alzheimer's disease, respiratory disease, kidney disease and diabetes. More Americans also died from unintentional injuries and suicide. In all, the decline was driven by increases in deaths from eight of the top 10 leading causes of death in the U.S.
U.S. Life Expectancy Declines : Shots - Health News : NPR

I am not sure how you can try to conflate the implementation of the ACA with a drop in life expectancy. There is not much medicine can do to prevent death due to any of those causes is there...or perhaps just having health insurance was supposed to be the panacea that would keep us from ever getting sick or dying?
Yes, after the implementation of Obamacare America's health got worse. Thank you for confirming this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies