Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2017, 01:10 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
But it's just...we should be provided with free healthcare. I won't say specifically that anyone needs to be FORCED to provide it...it should just BE provided. If you use the passive voice and abstractly say it that way, you don't have to think about the force involved!
No. Pay for your own stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
YES for working adults and their families, and for retirees under 85, who are willing to pay what they can for it, and YES for all children.

NO to everyone else, unless being unemployed is not by their choice but due to extenuating circumstances beyond their control.

However, that being said, I don't think that anyone should actually suffer. What I am referring to is the right of adults to be able to go to the doctor for a basic sore throat and fever, and have someone else pay for it.

The tricky and unstated part of your question is "What constitutes BASIC healthcare?" I think that has a very broad interpretation.

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post

I wouldn't be opposed to ending foreign aid and help our veterans out first. They sacrificed. You don't have to agree with what they did. Or who sent them there. Or why they were sent there.
Once every veteran has a roof over their head, the treatments the are owed, and they are fed and have clothes on their backs, then worry about everyone else.
"Veteran Worship" was the topic of conversation over breakfast, this morning.

Most Veterans do not see combat nor are stationed in war zones.

At the peak of the Iraq War a majority of those in War Zones were contractors, not enlisted.

For some , enlistment was their only option given they were unskilled and unemployed before enlisting and their parents gave them the option of enlisting or homelessness. For some others they enlist for training and educational benefits.

There are cush jobs and locations and dangerous jobs and locations.

My husband is a VietNam Veteran.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:11 PM

27,146 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Yes, everyone should have some form of quality healthcare.

Why are all other developed nations giving their people healthcare, but not the U.S. ?

Nobody gives anything they did not take first.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:11 PM

554 posts, read 608,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Yes provided you don't make other people pay for your stuff.

In short, take care of your own and not depend on society to take care of you.
Your neighbors pay for the fire truck that would come to your burning house. They pay for the air traffic control that guides the plane you took for your vacation. They pay for the testing that ensures the quality of the water coming out of your kitchen tap. (I can give you 1000 more examples). Are you complaining about that ? Why aren't you taking care of your own in those situations ?

If you're accepting any societal benefit that comes from paying taxes, don't use that shallow argument ("take care of your own") to shoot down health care for your fellow citizens.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:15 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
No. Living a healthy life; diet, exercise, not taking the various drugs, (liquid, botanical, pharmaceuticals), in excess. Is everyone's responsibility and civic duty, so as not to impose themselves on their fellow citizens.
Perhaps next you'll tell us how we get things like cancer, ALS, Alzheimer's, heart disease, MS, CF, CP, et al to only afflict those who shirk that responsibility?

Old 05-07-2017, 01:16 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
Your neighbors pay for the fire truck that would come to your burning house. They pay for the air traffic control that guides the plane you took for your vacation. They pay for the testing that ensures the quality of the water coming out of your kitchen tap. (I can give you 1000 more examples). Are you complaining about that ? Why aren't you taking care of your own in those situations ?

If you're accepting any societal benefit that comes from paying taxes, don't use that shallow argument ("take care of your own") to shoot down health care for your fellow citizens.
Wrong. My property taxes pay for the trucks that I as a volunteer use to fight fires.

Fuel excise taxes when I fuel my plane pay for my use of air traffic control when I fly my plane as do you when you buy a ticket. I have a well, I pay for my testing, not you.

So I am paying my way.

Are you?

Pay for your own stuff.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:17 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
Correct. During WWII, companies started offering as a way to get around wade and price controls. It just 'stuck', just like the idea of the ACA. Just because something 'is' does not mean it is best, for the good, or even bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Democratic administration backed corps into it with a mandated wage freeze.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:20 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
Never said that. Many cancers and heart disease are directly tied to poor diet and sedentary lifestyle. You just wanted to demagogue a bit though, didn't you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Perhaps next you'll tell us how we get things like cancer, ALS, Alzheimer's, heart disease, MS, CF, CP, et al to only afflict those who shirk that responsibility?

Old 05-07-2017, 01:20 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
Uh ... NO. I see no reason why veterans should be entitled to a human right in preference to others. In my opinion, veterans already receive too many preferences and favors.

We should have universal health coverage in the United States. Our current system relegates our most vulnerable residents (the poor, the unemployed, the elderly, minorities, immigrants) to the back of the bus, and sometimes forces them off the bus. I'm part of that system, and I'm sick of it. Don't talk to me about "repealing Obamacare" until you see a patient who is in septic shock and on life support because they couldn't afford to see a doctor for an abscess or an abdominal pain.

When will repugnicans realize that universal health coverage will be cheaper in the long run than our current system(s), if only because of the cost savings realized from eliminating the middle man (the insurance industry) from the equation ? If you are against universal health coverage, it's for one reason: you're selfish.
They did something you and I didn't. I was refused for USMC infantry with the goal of becoming a sniper at 17 for a torn rotator cuff. Payback for the twin towers. I was in those buildings when I was a kid they were beautiful.

I have friends who came back changed physically and mentally and have problems you couldn't relate to and have to write to congressmen to be seen at a VA and fight tooth and nail for services they are entitled to.

And I would repeal oblunder care entirely. In a heart beat.
Matter of fact, I did see just what you described. My father had the beetus something fierce. Old fat boy couldn't put the fork down and dialed up the insulin pump going through 300-500 unit's per day. He lost his vision and had neuropathy in his feet. He fell and went to a doctor. They did x rays and did an mri and didn't see anything. Send him to pain management where he was put on narcotics to make him comfortable, not functional.

He went out like elvis. Necrosis of the intestines and they exploded like a crappie filled grenade. He was treated for a heart attack brought on by sepsis, exploratory surgery showed there was no viable bowel to use.
I watched that man, my own father for 5 days die. HE was on life support, he was doped up too. He was on medicine keeping his heart going. We had them pull that and the antibiotic but kept him on morphine.

I never once shed a tear because he did it to himself. I was more upset at the doctors putting him on narcotics making him anot even more worthless lump of flesh because the narcotics not only made him combative and crazy, it caused him to be severely constipated.

Now that we have that a dressed. It was HIS FAULT FOR BEING A GLUTTON! NOT YOURS, NOT MINE, NOT OUR RESPONSIBILITY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies