Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 01:22 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
How do you square Jesus with Homosexual marriage and abortion?
The GOP simply uses those issues to get votes. They know Christians don't care about anything else so as long as they are talking abortion and the evil gays, rural America won't even care that they are the ones getting screwed the most by the politicians they are voting into office.

Also, ask yourself this. Are those two issues Jesus' priority or Jerry Falwell's?

Old 05-09-2017, 01:40 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sockruhtese View Post
There is no argument that the word of God / teachings of Jesus and your support of killing and hate are not compatible. Those standing outside heaven's gates with a resume of supporting pre-emptive bombings, defending cops who gunned down innocent unarmed black kids, and turning their backs on refugees/homeless/the hungry/etc are finding they're being turned away as they did to others.
I'm a conservative, and I don't love Jesus. Where did you come up with this?

Also, "word of God" is not reserved for only those that "love Jesus". Don't know much about religion?

Keep in mind that our government is not a theocracy. If you interested in a government tied to a religion, a theocracy, try one of the Muslim countries.

I'm not sure who your issue is with or why, but I do suggest you gain a deeper understanding of religion and laws and law enforcement along with US and World History. The more you know, the more you can understand.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:02 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
You have 1A upside down. 1A is not about protecting the Govt from religion. It's actually the opposite. 1A is about protecting religion from the Govt.

I am 200% sure that TJ is rolling in his grave right now, when you / anybody perversely posits that TJ was paving the way for present-day communists, i.e. "seculars", to attack religion.
Seems to me you are more than 200% wrong...

I didn't write that the 1A is about protecting religion from the Gov't. Quote me verbatim, will you? Or simply review the words as written in the 1A. Those words are the ones I praise as evidence of Jefferson's forward thinking.

How ridiculous to suggest that "seculars" are one-and-the-same as communists. Why do I bother with this sort of nonsense I wonder. Is it because it is almost too hard to believe?

"And, as many of us are aware today, Jefferson was a religious skeptic who was one of the strongest defenders of separation of church and state in the United States, being the author of the Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom. A strong advocate of universal public education, Jefferson was the creator of the nation’s first secular educational facility: the University of Virginia."

Thomas Jefferson and the Origins of US Secular Humanism - The Course of Reason Blog - CFI On Campus | Organizing atheist, freethinking, skeptical, and secular humanist students and faculty worldwide

Last edited by LearnMe; 05-10-2017 at 11:11 AM..

Old 05-10-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Most conservatives aren't Christian these days, at least not in the practicing sense. The Christian Right was an important voting bloc back in the 70's and 80's, but it wasn't really needed to get Trump elected. Look at the cross section of a typical Trump rally. Do these look like God fearing Christians to you?
You mean the folks with bald heads, red necks, biker leathers, Caterpillar caps, star spangled shirts, waving pocket-sized copies of the Constitution? Maybe not God fearing, but they sure do fear Allah! That's for sure...

Old 05-10-2017, 11:53 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Seems to me you are more than 200% wrong...

I didn't write that the 1A is about protecting religion from the Gov't. Quote me verbatim, will you? Or simply review the words as written in the 1A. Those words are the ones I praise as evidence of Jefferson's forward thinking.

How ridiculous to suggest that "seculars" are one-and-the-same as communists. Why do I bother with this sort of nonsense I wonder. Is it because it is almost too hard to believe?

"And, as many of us are aware today, Jefferson was a religious skeptic who was one of the strongest defenders of separation of church and state in the United States, being the author of the Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom. A strong advocate of universal public education, Jefferson was the creator of the nation’s first secular educational facility: the University of Virginia."

Thomas Jefferson and the Origins of US Secular Humanism - The Course of Reason Blog - CFI On Campus | Organizing atheist, freethinking, skeptical, and secular humanist students and faculty worldwide
Are you denying that state has been infringing upon freedom of religion?

Secondly, do you think that TJ ever advocated the above?

Thirdly, state's attack on religion, in the name of secularism -- this is the playbook of communists. Ask me how I know.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Are you denying that state has been infringing upon freedom of religion?

Secondly, do you think that TJ ever advocated the above?

Thirdly, state's attack on religion, in the name of secularism -- this is the playbook of communists. Ask me how I know.
I am writing the words I am writing, expressing my opinion and admiration for Jefferson, my preference over a secular society/government over theocracy. You have a problem with that and you essentially have a problem with our Constitution.

TJ wanted to restrict the influence of religion on how a government "of the people" should operate, on behalf of all the people, not on behalf of any particular faith.

Communists impose their belief that religion should not be tolerated. This is very different from what TJ believed, what I believe, and I'm not wanting to defend communism. That's your strawman argument here, not mine.

Secularism is no more communism than you are a donkey! I mean, you and a donkey are both animals, but that doesn't make you a donkey. Right?

Old 05-10-2017, 12:08 PM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,287 times
Jesus talks bout it here.

https://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-homosexuality.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The GOP simply uses those issues to get votes. They know Christians don't care about anything else so as long as they are talking abortion and the evil gays, rural America won't even care that they are the ones getting screwed the most by the politicians they are voting into office.

Also, ask yourself this. Are those two issues Jesus' priority or Jerry Falwell's?

Old 05-10-2017, 12:13 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sockruhtese View Post
There is no argument that the word of God / teachings of Jesus and your support of killing and hate are not compatible. Those standing outside heaven's gates with a resume of supporting pre-emptive bombings, defending cops who gunned down innocent unarmed black kids, and turning their backs on refugees/homeless/the hungry/etc are finding they're being turned away as they did to others.
Well, I'm not a Christian but I am a Conservative. However, my DEMOCRAT mother is quite religious and because of that, we had to go to church every Sunday while growing up. So, I actually know a few things that Christians believe. One of the biggest idealogies that my mother has is: You need to do for yourself and not ask others to do for you. In other words, she has no patience for those who ask for handouts, she definitely has no patience for law breakers, she also relies on facts when discussing a situation, she doesn't make blanket statements, she doesn't blame an entire group of people on one person, and she supports keeping American safe.

Before you write some nonsense displaying that you don't know anything about Christianity, go ahead and read that Bible that you think you're referencing. Here's a hint: "Turn the other cheek" doesn't mean what a lot of people think it means. Nor does "thou shalt not murder". I also find it interesting that you pretend to know what anyone who has died is "finding" once they reach these so called "heaven's gates". You're not supposed to speak FOR God, you know that right? Oh...you don't, because you're not Christian. If you were, you wouldn't dare do such a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
According to the four gospels, plenty of "fire and brimstone" is attributed directly to Jesus. He really wasn't the nice Jewish hippie that many people envision.
Correct.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 05-10-2017 at 12:27 PM..

Old 05-10-2017, 01:01 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
You mean the folks with bald heads, red necks, biker leathers, Caterpillar caps, star spangled shirts, waving pocket-sized copies of the Constitution? Maybe not God fearing, but they sure do fear Allah! That's for sure...
Spot on! Do blacks next! Then Jews!

Old 05-10-2017, 01:13 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
I am writing the words I am writing, expressing my opinion and admiration for Jefferson, my preference over a secular society/government over theocracy. You have a problem with that and you essentially have a problem with our Constitution.

TJ wanted to restrict the influence of religion on how a government "of the people" should operate, on behalf of all the people, not on behalf of any particular faith.

Communists impose their belief that religion should not be tolerated. This is very different from what TJ believed, what I believe, and I'm not wanting to defend communism. That's your strawman argument here, not mine.

Secularism is no more communism than you are a donkey! I mean, you and a donkey are both animals, but that doesn't make you a donkey. Right?

We're talking about two different things here, and I am not sure you understand the difference.

Secularism and state's imposition of secularism are two different things. We have plenty of examples how state has been and is imposing secularism, which is just another belief system, into individuals. So in that regard, state is imposing a "religion."

You understand TJ's secularist attitude as if TJ wanted the state to impose it. Quite the opposite.

Besides, discussion of state imposing Christianity or theocracy is pretty much an esoteric concept in US. In reality, pendulum swings the other way -- state wants to impose secularism. This was not TJ's intent whatsoever.

In this regard, whether in America, or in Communist Europe, there is no difference -- state's imposition is essentially the same. And not by coincidence.

Leaving Animal Planet talk aside, this is my last response to you if you keep up the personal attacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies