Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 10:38 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
America needs a big campaign, backed by the POTUS, to increase home ownership among minorities. Loan standards should be relaxed and banks should be encouraged to actively recruit blacks and Hispanics to take out mortgages, even when they have little or no savings and credit history. What could go wrong?
Yep both Bush and Clinton pushed for weakened banking\lending standards under the guise of helping the poor and minorities.

There are some good programs out there right now like FHA....my friend just got their first place with FHA because while they don't make much money they have good credit and follow a balanced budget.

That's a wise program and if others can't take advantage of programs like this (and others) then that's on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 10:38 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I agree to each his own but what is happening now is a trend of discouraging people from home ownership and even shaming.
Do you know how many years renters have been shamed? Called stupid, short sighted, etc? Do you think I care? Hell no.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:45 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Do you know how many years renters have been shamed? Called stupid, short sighted, etc? Do you think I care? Hell no.
Do what is best for oneself, it's no one else's business really. There are good reasons to rent and good reasons to buy, it's a purely personal decision.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:54 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Do what is best for oneself, it's no one else's business really. There are good reasons to rent and good reasons to buy, it's a purely personal decision.
I totally agree.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:01 AM

23,976 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Where do I sign up?
Me, too. The senior apartment communities around here run 5K a month. Never heard of a sliding scale.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:02 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
The thing with owning is a lot of people can't afford the maintenance that goes along with owning a house and this is partially where consumer debt issue comes into play.

It's similar to people that buy expensive luxury vehicles used but then can't afford to fix them when something goes wrong.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:26 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Notice I said "maybe" it certainly implied that the discrepancy in home ownership is due to racism. Although black home ownership rates have held stead at around the high 30s/low 40s for about 70 years or so.

https://www.census.gov/hhes/www/hous...c/ownrate.html
https://www.census.gov/housing/hvs/f...nthvspress.pdf

Black Homeownership Rate:
1950: 34.5%
2017: 42.7%

The stability in the rate would suggest something other than nefarious and insidious racism is at play here.
Quote:
More useful data would control for family structure. e.g. what is the homeownership rate for married couples, for single parents, for childless singles, etc. Family structure surely has a lot to do with it; buying a home is certainly easier on two incomes than on one.
On the rates of homeownership, they are similar for blacks between 1950 and 2017 because in 1950 some black families did own homes. Some of my relatives owned their own homes in the 1940s. They bought them with cash though and passed them down for generations. Like I stated earlier, it was not possible for many other blacks to buy homes until around the 1980s. That is less than 40 years ago. Back then, as well, most black Americans, due to being shut out of the economic booms of this country could not afford to buy a house. They could not get a job that would afford them to buy a house. For freemkt that included married couples. Most black Americans period have always lived in homes with one income, just like whites were so that is not a factor. The main factor for homeownership rates not increasing much between 1950 and 1985 was the fact that a majority of blacks were poor due to being shut out of high paying employment on a large scale. Also because those who did have decent employment could not get an FHA loan like white families could to increase their wealth. They paid more in rent back then than whites paid in rent or even for their mortgages due to being confined in specifica parts of town.

Again, the history of housing discrimination in this country along with job discrimination is the main reason for the low economic status of black America today. However, I'll note that even though re-visiting the past is interesting that past is not as much of a factor today (it still is though in regards to valuation of properties in black neighborhoods but that is something that can be worked around).

Old 05-09-2017, 11:28 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Quote:
Mortgages are finite and are eventually paid off. Rent never ends. Amen.
Roughly half of my monthly ESCROW payment goes to homeowner's insurance and property tax. Insurance has gone up 2.5x since I got the house while tax has gone up 1.6x. No end in sight for the increases. There will come a time when insurance and tax alone will be more than the whole ESCROW was when I started. And insurance and tax never end.

You know what else? It's not so fun dropping $8,000 on a new air conditioner (in 100 degree weather), only one example of a wide range of expensive calamities (not covered by any insurance) that can befall a home owner that a renter will never see.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:31 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Generally in Houston the break even point on buying versus renting is 5-7 years under historical house price inflation. Though house prices have been going up a great deal lately.

When buying look for homes with recent roofs and A/C systems.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:32 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
The thing with owning is a lot of people can't afford the maintenance that goes along with owning a house and this is partially where consumer debt issue comes into play.

It's similar to people that buy expensive luxury vehicles used but then can't afford to fix them when something goes wrong.
This of course needs to be taken into consideration before purchasing a home. Of course a home is a much larger and more complex purchase than a car.

Mortgage, taxes, insurance, maintenance, improvements, time spent maintaining home, etc. It's a big investment of time, money and risk. People are willing to do it to have a home of their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies