Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 10:40 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
My kids didn't need this so called holiday to make me feel special. They made me things all the time. Mother's day is for retailers now and how much money they can make from it.
That's why I said 'capitalized' on ...

Not really a holiday either per sé, but more of a commemorative moment that can be celebrated any day of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 10:42 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,201,352 times
Mission Public School District Superintendent Angus Wilson confirmed the letter was sent to parents, but he noted the cancellation came with a valid reason.

The reasoning wasn’t some cabal or some political plan,” Wilson said. “Instead, there has been a recent trauma involving a student and its parents.”

Of course, people are going to rant and and scream abot the "left" ruining holidays but we clearly don't have the whole story. Kids can still make gifts at home.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:47 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
Amazing how things change through the years. Mother's Day was started as a church holiday where people went back to their Mother Church. About the only thing I ever did in school for my mother was plant a seed that grows fast in a paper cup or make a Mother's Day Card. Since Mother's Day and Father's Day happen on Sunday I usually expect special attention for the youngest or newest mother and the oldest mother and some churches give a prize to the mother who has the most children present that Sunday.

It is sad that so few people are having children these days. I once was the youngest mother at church that day but the awful thing was that I had to admit to being 42 in order to get the honor.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:56 PM

32,076 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Amazing how things change through the years. Mother's Day was started as a church holiday where people went back to their Mother Church. About the only thing I ever did in school for my mother was plant a seed that grows fast in a paper cup or make a Mother's Day Card. Since Mother's Day and Father's Day happen on Sunday I usually expect special attention for the youngest or newest mother and the oldest mother and some churches give a prize to the mother who has the most children present that Sunday.

It is sad that so few people are having children these days. I once was the youngest mother at church that day but the awful thing was that I had to admit to being 42 in order to get the honor.
I think it's wonderful that some don't want kids. Let them do their own thing. Kids are very expensive to raise.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:59 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,967 times
Personally I dont like holidays that celebrate a relationship like mother, father, spouse. It is bound to make someone really sad if they dont have that special person in their lives. Birthdays, anniversaries, graduation are fine as they are personal so they involve a small group of people. If you really care about political correctness & are sensitive about people's feelings then cancel these 'relationship' themed public celebrations as well, not just religious. Instead, focus on events where everybody can actively participate without feeling awkward like july 4th, labor day, new year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies