Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 07:06 PM

678 posts, read 438,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetorow View Post
i'm confident
that obama made many, many more republicans than trump could ever dream of making.
One of the very few things obama excelled at was converting voters to the republican party. That and making sure democrats got fired.
Hm,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 10:23 PM

194 posts, read 281,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Trump's performance in 2016 was less impressive than House Republicans based on the number of districts won. He carried 230 districts (vs. 205 for Clinton) while House Republicans won 241 (vs. 194 for Democrats). So unlike in the Senate, there is actually a little downside for Republicans in the House if the 2016 presidential numbers align directly with congressional winners in the future. But they would still hold a solid majority.

Maybe Trump did create new Republicans ... but he could possibly push some voters towards the Democrats if they prioritize holding the executive branch accountable. It may not be indicative of anything, but Democratic candidates have performed better in the special elections thus far this year than they have traditionally in the same districts. This hasn't been enough to win so far but it looks like at least for the moment, Democrats are pretty motivated to turn out. Whether they can sustain this throughout the Trump administration, which is taking plenty of action that greatly antagonizes liberals, remains to be seen.

These are some great points. I read somewhere though that the Party out of power usually does a lot better in Special Elections. Also I think if Democrats would moderate their views more they could pick up some of these tradional Republicans. Unfortunately they have taken a hard Left. I don't understand why they would pick the woman who represents San Fransisco to represent them in the House and the Man who represents New York to represent them in the Senate. This is a pretty good indication to me that they aren't trying to pick up Middle America and the Suburbs.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:08 AM

34,066 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsgjdennis View Post
Also I think if Democrats would moderate their views more they could pick up some of these tradional Republicans. Unfortunately they have taken a hard Left. I don't understand why they would pick the woman who represents San Fransisco to represent them in the House and the Man who represents New York to represent them in the Senate. This is a pretty good indication to me that they aren't trying to pick up Middle America and the Suburbs.
Great post. Its simple-todays Democratic party has been taken over by the Radical Left. And yes, they can forget capturing Middle America until they sharply moderate their positions.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:12 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,571 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
I'm confident that Obama made many, many more Republicans than Trump could ever dream of making. One of the very few things Obama excelled at was converting voters to the Republican Party. That and making sure Democrats got fired.
if the Obama sealing was 69 Million, John Kerry only getting 59 million.

Then he didnt create a single republican.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:16 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,571 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
These are some great points. I read somewhere though that the Party out of power usually does a lot better in Special Elections. Also I think if Democrats would moderate their views more they could pick up some of these tradional Republicans. Unfortunately they have taken a hard Left. I don't understand why they would pick the woman who represents San Fransisco to represent them in the House and the Man who represents New York to represent them in the Senate. This is a pretty good indication to me that they aren't trying to pick up Middle America and the Suburbs.
So couldnt someone say the same of republicans and people on the coast ????

I dont get the cherry picking of the argument that the left does this, but not the right.

Lets be clear. Nancy Pelosi is speaker, because Nancy Pelosi spent 20 years working her way up the leadership ladder, she wasnt just "picked" as some claim.

Should Democrats tell their members from the coast or the cities," we are sorry, you cant run for leadership positions " ????

Old 05-15-2017, 04:50 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,959,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
So couldnt someone say the same of republicans and people on the coast ????

I dont get the cherry picking of the argument that the left does this, but not the right.

Lets be clear. Nancy Pelosi is speaker, because Nancy Pelosi spent 20 years working her way up the leadership ladder, she wasnt just "picked" as some claim.

Should Democrats tell their members from the coast or the cities," we are sorry, you cant run for leadership positions " ????
Nancy Pelosi is not the speaker. She was appropriately FIRED from that position many years ago.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:27 AM

12,043 posts, read 6,576,479 times
Quote:
I don't understand why they would pick the woman who represents San Fransisco to represent them in the House and the Man who represents New York to represent them in the Senate. This is a pretty good indication to me that they aren't trying to pick up Middle America and the Suburbs.
The head of the DNC was asked this question, and shockingly, they weren't even embarrassed to admit that they kept Pelosi because she was their top fundraiser by far.. She brings in the big $$$. So I guess it's the same with Schumer.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:06 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,335,521 times
Quote:

My theory is that Trump created a lot of New Republicans. It also had the effect of making a lot of Republicans leave the President Box blank this year. I think this is extremely good news for the GOP because in 4 years many of those voters will be more comfortable with Trump and vote for him. At the same time the new Republicans will vote for Republicans in othe races as Trump and the GOP's platform melt together.

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/florida
That's an interesting question OP.

IMO Trump didn't create new Republican voters, he created unique Trump voters who happened to vote Republican because of Trump. Which presents certain benefits and dangers to Trump. It benefits him because his supporters are much more lenient and tolerant of his tweets and his occasionally seeming odd behavior. Many of his have read his books and understand Trump uses sleight of hand and misdirection to accomplish his goals. The danger is people aren't voting for a party and the protection of it's ideology and if he can't accomplish his goals he'll be out in 2020.

That's why Democrats keep ginning up the Russian fairy tale.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:15 AM

25,963 posts, read 22,138,411 times
No. I think many that voted for Trump were not turning to the Republican Party but turning away from the Democratic Party. If the Democratic Party continues on the road that they are on now, the Republican Party will continue to reap the benefits.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:33 AM

10,780 posts, read 4,353,901 times
I find it amazing how poorly educated the mainstream media are.
They are blissfully unaware that they're making Trump the victim, and winning him even more support than he had in 2016.
And the mainstream media were already seen as a bully and public enemy, even before Trump came along.
The mainstream media have given up trying to appeal to the public, and are on a suicidal bender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies