Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 11:15 AM

25,689 posts, read 18,773,845 times

Advertisements

I've really liked Rundgren's music over the years and his band Utopia. I have a good bit of it on my computer. But, really, what a d**k. Stick with your music, Todd. You haven't been relevant since 1974, and you weren't exactly a household name back then, either. In general, and this goes for righties and lefties... if you are a professional musician, make your music and quit trying to preach.

Not that I would go to your concert, Todd, but if I wanted to and I paid for a ticket, I'd damn well go to it. You have no right to tell me I can't or even shouldn't go because I don't agree with you politically. Aren't you one of the same folks who told the bake shop that they had to bake a gay wedding cake? How about I sue your ass off because you are offering a product to the public and denying it to me personally because I don't agree with you?

Having said all that, Todd, I won't erase your music from my computer because I still like it, even though I don't like you much anymore. Perhaps you can send the SS out to erase it from my computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 11:21 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,995,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
He did an interview for Variety -- it popped up on somebody's Facebook feed and they put it here.

It wasn't some big ploy to get fame -- it was a just someone here who posted because Todd said that he would tell folks that like Trump not to come to the concert. ....implying because he might say some anti-Trump thing.

It wasn't a rant -- it wasn't a thing...it was part of an interview when asked about people walking out of his concert -- I think it was one couple.

The fact many don't know about him doesn't mean anything to me. I'm always having to google names when friends go to concerts. Most of them are big country stars and I had no clue.

Do any of you know who Donald Glover is?
I go to listen to their music not their political views that is reason I go is to enjoy time away from everything in life that is giving me a headache.
CSN&Y did this at Polaris in Columbus Ohio towards the end of their show which pissed alot of people off because it ain't the 60's anymore dudes.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:23 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I've really liked Rundgren's music over the years and his band Utopia. I have a good bit of it on my computer. But, really, what a d**k. Stick with your music, Todd. You haven't been relevant since 1974, and you weren't exactly a household name back then, either. In general, and this goes for righties and lefties... if you are a professional musician, make your music and quit trying to preach.
I've noted this before. Many songs are political in nature. Say it in the words or between the songs, does it matter? (NSFW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fju9o8BVJ8

Old 05-16-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
I go to listen to their music not their political views that is reason I go is to enjoy time away from everything in life that is giving me a headache.
CSN&Y did this at Polaris in Columbus Ohio towards the end of their show which pissed alot of people off because it ain't the 60's anymore dudes.
CSN&Y were always political. You go and want them to change for you? We are as stupid now as we were then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRE9vMBBe10

Old 05-16-2017, 11:31 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
I liked Utopia back in the day. But this is the kind of crap that irks me with celebrity types (music, movies, TV, etc). They use their status as known entities to push their political views out to the public because they know they have an audience. Me, the audience, doesn't go to a concert to hear political views from the artist. I go to listen the music. So **** to Rundgren and all the other celebrities who do that garbage.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:32 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
I love it -- I want more politically motivated music and artists.....that's what gets us going.

As someone pointed out at least Trump's Presidency has made people pay attention. And for those of us middle of the road people it means we are getting involved in all kinds of issues.

I want to see where artists are going to go during this time. I like hearing what they say -- even if I don't agree.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:36 AM

25,689 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I've noted this before. Many songs are political in nature. Say it in the words or between the songs, does it matter? (NSFW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fju9o8BVJ8
It does to me, although I know it doesn't to a lot of people. I disconnect the music from musician's personal views. I love Heart, Linda Ronstadt, and a bunch of other musicians from "the left." If I hear a song (and I even pay attention to the lyrics) that I don't agree with, I simply don't listen to it. But that seldom happens, because I listen to the music and the words are secondary (I listen to a lot of instrumental Prog Rock, New Age, Jazz, Flamenco, et, as well).

I just don't see that a musician is any more an expert on politics than anyone else (mainly I know that because I am a musician as well). I have an opinion, but beyond discussing it on forums like this or if asked personally, I feel no need to preach or even care how others feel. And I certainly would not tell ANYONE to stay away from one of my performances, regardless of their politics.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I liked Utopia back in the day. But this is the kind of crap that irks me with celebrity types (music, movies, TV, etc). They use their status as known entities to push their political views out to the public because they know they have an audience. Me, the audience, doesn't go to a concert to hear political views from the artist. I go to listen the music. So **** to Rundgren and all the other celebrities who do that garbage.
Political

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM8bTdBs-cw

Political

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQUXuQ6Zd9w

Political

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZCsWp5BeZQ

This list is endless.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
It does to me, although I know it doesn't to a lot of people. I disconnect the music from musician's personal views. I love Heart, Linda Ronstadt, and a bunch of other musicians from "the left." If I hear a song (and I even pay attention to the lyrics) that I don't agree with, I simply don't listen to it. But that seldom happens, because I listen to the music and the words are secondary (I listen to a lot of instrumental Prog Rock, New Age, Jazz, Flamenco, et, as well).

I just don't see that a musician is any more an expert on politics than anyone else (mainly I know that because I am a musician as well). I have an opinion, but beyond discussing it on forums like this or if asked personally, I feel no need to preach or even care how others feel. And I certainly would not tell ANYONE to stay away from one of my performances, regardless of their politics.
I doubt they are more of an expert but they have a talent of putting their beliefs to word and music that people buy.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:43 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,995,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
CSN&Y were always political. You go and want them to change for you? We are as stupid now as we were then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRE9vMBBe10
My son is a vet it didn't go over well with him and my sister the anti-war hippy protester along with her draft card burning husband agreed as well.It was how they said it plus my sister and hubby are so over it too that now they are yuppies...lol... see you know what song they played after their little rant...lol...still like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies