Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 05:45 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Trump ran the most divisive campaign in modern history? Lol. His opponent called basically everyone not voting for her deplorable!!
No, she called a certain segment of his supporters deplorable.

Hint: They seem to be living up to that name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 05:46 PM

624 posts, read 370,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I believe HE is the one hurting our country.
By flooding with illegals and cracking down on gangs

Old 05-18-2017, 05:53 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Murrrrca really is not much of a country (if even a country).

Ask yourself, what overarching commonality does Murrrrca have, what thing binds us as a nation. The answer.....zip, zero, zilch, nada. More MAJOR divisions in Murrrrrca than you can count.

Too big, nothing to make us one-peoples, utterly-corrupt, ruled-over by corrupt and insane monsters, sluggish, bloated and unthinking populace..............TOAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Murrrrrca, basically done-for..........bring-on the Mad-Max scenario, make all of
Murrrrrrrrca similar to Detroitbabwe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-18-2017, 06:03 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
This country isn't divided because of Trump and it's not divided because of Obama. It's not divided because of any one person.

It is, however, divided. When Obama was elected, the Tea Party sprang up.

Why was this? You could just say "well, they're a bunch of Neanderthal racists, so it figures they'd show up when we had a black guy with a Muslim-sounding name in the White House" and you would not be entirely wrong... but, you would not be right, either.

You could then turn around and say "well, these people who voted for Trump don't like (insert whatever group) and he's emboldened them to be mean to other people" and you would not be entirely wrong... but you would not be right, either.

What really happened in this country when Obama got elected? It wasn't anything terrible. He wasn't an awful president. Was he perfect? Nope. But, please show me one that has been. You cannot. They do not exist.

Obama was just as qualified as any of his predecessors to become president. But...

He was black. Now... hold up... I do have a point and it's not that all Trumpers are racists...

Up until Barack Hussein Obama (I will use his full name because it is relevant) was elected, middle America, the "salt of the Earth" and the "folks who were hit hardest by the recession" were hanging on by a thread.

The one thing that a good many of these folks in rural areas had going for them was that they were still white people in America. And, being white in America has generally been an advantage throughout history. You were always assured that you were somehow of a higher station, just by virtue of your genetics.

Now, educated humans know this isn't true, but that's not actually the point, either.

This group of white people who were struggling like crazy and barely holding their heads above water were now being told by a black guy (someone they'd always been able to point to and think "I'm better than him.") that what really mattered were black people and homosexual people and women. And pretty much everyone but white people in middle America.

Do I think President Obama did not care about those folks? Of course not. He had a white mother. Of course he doesn't hate white people. Of course he cares about how they're doing.

But, throughout history, most presidents have paid far more attention to the fortunes of white Americans and less to the struggles of minority citizens, women, and homosexual citizens.

So, Obama tried to help these people. He didn't stop trying to help middle America, of course, but that wasn't his primary focus, and it really was with most other presidents before him. Even the ones who didn't focus on rural whites too much were still white dudes, so at least a poor, rural white person could look at the POTUS and see a person like them... white.

Eight years this uppity black guy with his wife who has very black features (aka, she's not Halle Berry) and their two black daughters occupied the White House, and all that time the people in rural America felt their situation not really improving and there was all this other stuff happening... Black Lives Matter? What about White Lives? Gays can get married? What about the Bible? Why are you shoving all this equality down our throats and not giving us some jobs?

I can tell you right now that if Barack Obama's administration could have brought with it GOOD jobs for those rural white people, they could easily have forgotten to care if gay folks got married or if black people wanted to avoid getting a beatdown by the cops. If they still felt like they were "in power" they'd be more generous.

So, here comes Donald J. Trump. A trust funder. Silver spoon up his rear end. And, what does this flim-flam artist do?

He TELLS MIDDLE AMERICA WHAT IT WANTS TO HEAR.

He takes every worry ever in their heads over the past 8-10 years (recession started under Junior, after all) and he gives it life and meaning and convinces them that only HE can save them.

That is how DJT took out every candidate running against him and how he managed to upset HRC in the electoral college.

Only, he's not qualified for this job and he's not really going to do 9/10ths of that stuff he said. And, now... here we are.

TL/DR (and I hope you read it);

It's not Obama's fault and it's not Trump's fault. This nation is just divided. We the people are going to have to get ourselves someone that we all like well enough to work together. Or, maybe Trump will start a war, and just like we did after 9/11, we'll start being nice to each other for a little while. It'll be us against the rest of the world.

Only, I hope he does not do that. War is terrible.

I hope we all get on the same page. And quickly.

I'm usually a pretty rosy type, but this kind of divisiveness cannot go on unabated.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:22 PM

57,289 posts, read 26,206,502 times
A normal year the president would put the campaign behind and begin to unite, he has done just the opposite. Just look at his comments today calling this investigation a witch hunt once again, what possible good does that do. It would have been more mature to just state that he looks forward to closue of the investigation rather than those words.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:28 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Nearly 60% of us think he is doing a lousy job as president. We dont get much more united than that in this country anymore.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:30 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Trump sure d8d a good job dividing us on the campaign trail, spewing his hate speech

What a jerk

Old 05-18-2017, 06:32 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
No, she called a certain segment of his supporters deplorable.

Hint: They seem to be living up to that name.
Why don't you tell us what this certain segment was? She did not define it.....

And she never apologized for it....what was it she said, I'm sure you'll provide it....

Old 05-18-2017, 06:37 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Murrrrca really is not much of a country (if even a country).

Ask yourself, what overarching commonality does Murrrrca have, what thing binds us as a nation. The answer.....zip, zero, zilch, nada. More MAJOR divisions in Murrrrrca than you can count.

Too big, nothing to make us one-peoples, utterly-corrupt, ruled-over by corrupt and insane monsters, sluggish, bloated and unthinking populace..............TOAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Murrrrrca, basically done-for..........bring-on the Mad-Max scenario, make all of
Murrrrrrrrca similar to Detroitbabwe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
An influx of white migration? One can only hope.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:38 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Why don't you tell us what this certain segment was? She did not define it.....

And she never apologized for it....what was it she said, I'm sure you'll provide it....
Actually she did. Maybe you should take the time to comprehend things instead of taking them out of context.

The quote from Clinton:
Quote:
You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic -- you name it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies