Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 07:57 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,864,079 times

Advertisements

Over Half of U.S. Workers Think They Are Overweight and Blame Their Sedentary Careers, According to

So many employers have excellent wellness incentives also, yet according to the "63 percent of workers don't take advantage of them.

Employee health premiums would go down if they had fresh kale, fresh carrots and fresh parsley available in lieu of the vending machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 08:00 PM

589 posts, read 381,250 times
How about the amount of time they spend on their butts at home on the internet ?

Old 05-19-2017, 08:03 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
I get up at an ungodly hour to work out. There's almost always a way to fit it into your schedule, even if you're only exercising on the weekend and twice during the week.

And we won't even discuss the junk people put into their bodies.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:05 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Who do they blame for not joining a gym?

Old 05-19-2017, 08:05 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
I have a physically demanding job that often requires long hours. My job is probably what keeps me in peak physical shape, because I eat nothing but garbage and don't work out. Maybe America needs more blue collar jobs and blue collar workers. Make Americans work again!

Old 05-19-2017, 08:08 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I have a physically demanding job that often requires long hours. My job is probably what keeps me in peak physical shape, because I eat nothing but garbage and don't work out. Maybe America needs more blue collar jobs and blue collar workers. Make Americans work again!
There's something to be said for this. Sitting is the new smoking. Very unhealthy. A lot of places are getting stand-up desks for people to use throughout the day.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:12 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Over Half of U.S. Workers Think They Are Overweight and Blame Their Sedentary Careers, According to

So many employers have excellent wellness incentives also, yet according to the "63 percent of workers don't take advantage of them.

Employee health premiums would go down if they had fresh kale, fresh carrots and fresh parsley available in lieu of the vending machine.
Do you eat this stuff? I do with the exception of parsley.

This is the second thread you have started regarding weight. Are you an obesity activist or do you just like to point out the faults of certain groups of people to make yourself feel better?

It is not the employer's responsibility to keep their employees fit and healthy. It is in their best interest to do so but they can't be forced into it.

This is all about personal responsibility or the lack of it.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:12 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,864,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I agree with you there.

It would be interesting if they did a study on the BMI rates of people by sector in which they work.

For example, construction, leisure and hospitality and manufacturing have more movement involved with them over a work day then a financial services job.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:13 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liars Poker View Post
How about the amount of time they spend on their butts at home on the internet ?
They being all of us on here posting? Are you out running a mile when typing this?

Old 05-19-2017, 08:14 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I agree with you there.

It would be interesting if they did a study on the BMI rates of people by sector in which they work.

For example, construction, leisure and hospitality and manufacturing have more movement involved with them over a work day then a financial services job.
Not all jobs in these sectors are labor intensive anymore. Many jobs have been made easier via automation, robotics, computers and so forth. Walking is often the most labor intensive activity people are doing in these ultra modern work environments. I believe people had to work much harder in the past than we do today. It's a blessing for most, but a curse if it makes us lazy, unhealthy and unmotivated as a society. We might also forget how hard previous generations had to work in order to produce the civilization so many take for granted today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies