Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2017, 08:18 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Good for them. I'm always happy to see Americans exercising their rights.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Pedro, you and I are often on the same page on many issues.

However, I have to take the opportunity to object to this type of "they have the right to express themselves" response.
(Or they have a "right" to .......whatever).

I see this type of reply from many posters, in many different posts where it's really irrelevant to the topic or questions asked by the OP.

Usually (and certainly in this case) nobody is saying they don't have the "right" to express themselves the way they did.

The topic is whether they should express themselves in this disrespectful manner.

Saying that someone has the right to something when that right is self evident adds nothing to a thread.
:sigh:

It matters not when

It matters not why

It matters not how

It matters not where

People ALWAYS find a reason to denigrate other people's choice and right to protest.

I'm really beginning to think SOME people have a problem with standing up to authority.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:28 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
It is a shame that those students degraded their degree in the manner they did. Part of being "educated" is knowing how to behave in public. They don't have to agree to anything Pence said but they should have sat there and been respectful. There are times and places to peacefully protest. The graduation ceremony was not one of them.

If I were in a hiring mode and was interviewing a ND grad, I'd ask what they thought of the student protest. If the applicant defended it, I'd thank them for their interest in my firm and wish them luck in their job search, but I would not hire them. I would not hire anyone who lacks the professionalism to know how to act in such settings. I'd be afraid that they'd embarrass my firm in front of clients given their lack of maturity.
Well, let's look at what you have posted for a minute. First of all, they QUIETLY left the area, didn't start screaming or protesting in the usual ways. They simply were not going to be hypocrites and sit and listen to a man they consider dishonest and a pawn of another dishonest man.

Now, about your "interviewing" process. It would be none of your business to interject politics into hiring a qualified applicant. You are trying to impose your views on someone else, and that is just as wrong as what you perceive them as doing. How can you expect to operate a company with only employees who think just the way you do on non work related issues ?

These young people are exercising a very fundamental right, the right to voice their opinion and demonstrate how they feel about important issues. America will be in good hands with people like this taking it through the next decades.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:34 PM

6,824 posts, read 14,036,923 times
The fact that they walked out and were not meet with water cannons and billy clubs tells me our democracy is healthy. Try this in Russia or China and see how things work out. Pence was the governor of Indiana so those students know exactly what he stands for. There was nothing new to be learned.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:40 PM

Where were ya'll when Congressmen did this to Obama? Or when police officers turned their backs to Bill Deblasio?

Old 05-21-2017, 08:47 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
And Pence is still Vice President. Lol!! These freakin baby snowflakes walk out on one of the nicest congenial men on the planet. For 8 years conservative student tolerated Michelle and Barack commencement speeches. They sat there and respected the person speaking. Libs know nothing about civility. They preach tolerance but can't let someone with different view speak ?? They call Trump and Pence Nazis, but what they are doing mirrors 1930s Germany more than anything the GOP have done
Bull! In 2009, conservative students heckled Obama interrupting his Notre Dame commencement speech, demonstrated outside of the venue hindering people trying to get in among other things. Unlike the conservatives, the snowflakes were quiet and respectful in the objections.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Bull! In 2009, conservative students heckled Obama interrupting his Notre Dame commencement speech, demonstrated outside of the venue hindering people trying to get in among other things. Unlike the conservatives, the snowflakes were quiet and respectful in the objections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbF12NYMPzg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uw59WX8RZg

Old 05-21-2017, 09:24 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Another Conservative Christian College protests Pence giving the commencement address !
The college didn't protest. A few students and faculty members protested. That's a huge difference.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:39 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
You must be 7 years old because you have zero knowledge of the present.

Americans' Support for Gay Marriage Remains High, at 61% | Gallup

In U.S., 65% Favor Path to Citizenship for Illegal Immigrants | Gallup

Support for Legal Marijuana Use Up to 60% in U.S. | Gallup

Poll: 6-in-10 oppose bills like the North Carolina transgender bathroom law - CNNPolitics.com

You tell me which is the liberal and which is the conservative position on these topics. Or better yet, don't: you've already proven you have no idea what you're talking about.
Those poll numbers for the first, second, and fourth items are totally bogus.

The first poll begged the question. True number would be 15%.

The second poll forced a choice from among fewer than all the possibilities. True number would be 0%, since everyone either wants them to have a special kind of status that is superior to that of white citizens or to have no legal status at all. No one wants them to have just plain citizenship.

The last link doesn't explain the poll at all, and it's absurd to think that more than 10% of Americans could oppose the North Carolina bill that left it up to property owners to decide how to handle the bathroom issue. You are full of it.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:19 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Of course it's disrespectful to walk out on him, the very nature of it is it's a way of saying F you and that the last time I looked was a sign of disrespect. The office deserves a certain level of respect. I already said that they have the right to do it.
Look what this administration has turned the Presidency into, though. A mockery of the office.

Why would anyone feel like "respecting" that mess?

I really don't have a party and I never have. I've voted for Rs and Ds for president in the past, and that's pretty much what I'd do again, depending on candidate.

Trump et al are simply a dumpster fire.

I guarantee you that if Trump was removed from office and Pence became president, all this furor would calm right down.

I think he got walked out on because he's COMPLICIT with this joke of a president.

I doubt it was because of Pence personally.

We've had conservative VPs before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies