Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 11:26 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Are you serious? The whole reason why the Trumpcare bill is so important is because in it lies the cuts needed to fund the tax breaks for the billionaire class.

The disabled, the poor and the elderly will suffer. While the ruling donor class will rejoice. And you will look on thinking you have won.
Yes. what tax breaks for the billionaire class?
Show me where the money to be saved from decreasing the medicaid and food stamp programs is going to fund what tax breaks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 11:29 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You and other lefties are lying. Recent and even more recent data indicate Dem voters are 2+ times more likely to be on public assistance programs like Food Stamps than those who vote Republican.
That proves it to me that people are smart enough NOT to vote for those that are not in Washington to help them. There'll always poor a small percentage of those who vote for the people that don't have their best interests at heart. But they are the minority

Old 05-24-2017, 11:42 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,234,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
They want people to get back to work. This is why we have such low GDP growth, even after 8 years of economic recovering under the Democrats. ACA reduces incentive for people to go to work.
Need jobs before anyone can go back to work...

Old 05-24-2017, 11:46 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,234,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You and other lefties are lying. Recent and even more recent data indicate Dem voters are 2+ times more likely to be on public assistance programs like Food Stamps than those who vote Republican.

Dems need to STOP using other people's money to BUY votes.
But those (2007) dem voters are the same ones that went to Trump in 2016.....

Old 05-24-2017, 12:12 PM

8,244 posts, read 3,495,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Those people who need food/healthcare and can work need to get a skill and a job. End of story. The people who truly can't will be taken care of as they always have been.
That is not true. There are lots of people with health problems that no employer will hire or keep. And many of these people were turned down for social security disability. SSA has a limited list of ailments that qualify you, even though many other ailments hinder gainful employment, and if you don't meet everything on the sublist for that ailment then they turn you down no matter how sick you are. Most people who apply for disability are turned down. They are perpetually homeless and aren't taken care of as a human needs by anyone.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
That is not true. There are lots of people with health problems that no employer will hire or keep. And many of these people were turned down for social security disability. SSA has a limited list of ailments that qualify you, even though many other ailments hinder gainful employment, and if you don't meet everything on the sublist for that ailment then they turn you down no matter how sick you are. Most people who apply for disability are turned down. They are perpetually homeless and aren't taken care of as a human needs by anyone.
Yes there are people who cant keep employment because of actual health problems. Yes usually everyone who applies for disability is turned down initially.
Now where are the lots of people who are homeless because they have physical health problems and cant work and are denied any disability?

Old 05-24-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes there are people who cant keep employment because of actual health problems. Yes usually everyone who applies for disability is turned down initially.
Now where are the lots of people who are homeless because they have physical health problems and cant work and are denied any disability?
I am homeless.

At night around here there are many people sleeping in their vehicles sometimes in the Wal-mart parking lot.

There are people living in storage sheds around here. One person wasn't stealth enough and got caught the other day and there's a notice on the shed from the fire marshall that they can't live in the shed. Shed rental place is likely evicting the person since it violates the lease.

They are kicking me off disability, or attempting to. I have not only not gotten any better, but my conditions have gotten worse. And I've been diagnosed with more things. I am appealing the decision and legal aid ended up agreeing to help me, but here in KY they are kicking people off disability who obviously could never work a job. They said in the decision that they cannot show where I had gotten better and could go back to the previous line of work but that I had to "adapt" to a new line of work. One of the things I had done before was work a desk job. If you cannot even work a desk job, what is left to "adapt" to?

If I lose the appeal then the government will immediately classify me as "able-bodied" even though no employer has EVER wanted to hire and keep me because of my medical problems. Under food stamp guidelines if I didn't immediately get hired to work at least 20 hours a week then I get cut off food stamps. So, no more food for me. Under KY medicaid rules I would lose the medicaid as well, so I will lose the medications I need to survive. I will also no longer be able to obtain medication when I get another infection. I have auto-immune disease and get infections a lot. So, I would then have a choice to either die an extremely painful death naturally or to end it myself.

I have not been offered employment since 2009. If an employer was going to hire me, overlook all of my health problems, and keep me it would have happened by now. I first started job hunting when I was 16 years old. My good grades in school, despite my medical problems, prove that I work as hard as I physically can. No employer has ever hired me and been willing to keep me. So, what evidence is there for me to believe that one day it will magically happen? Only a seriously delusional person would believe in such magic.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I am homeless.

At night around here there are many people sleeping in their vehicles sometimes in the Wal-mart parking lot.

There are people living in storage sheds around here. One person wasn't stealth enough and got caught the other day and there's a notice on the shed from the fire marshall that they can't live in the shed. Shed rental place is likely evicting the person since it violates the lease.

They are kicking me off disability, or attempting to. I have not only not gotten any better, but my conditions have gotten worse. And I've been diagnosed with more things. I am appealing the decision and legal aid ended up agreeing to help me, but here in KY they are kicking people off disability who obviously could never work a job. They said in the decision that they cannot show where I had gotten better and could go back to the previous line of work but that I had to "adapt" to a new line of work. One of the things I had done before was work a desk job. If you cannot even work a desk job, what is left to "adapt" to?

If I lose the appeal then the government will immediately classify me as "able-bodied" even though no employer has EVER wanted to hire and keep me because of my medical problems. Under food stamp guidelines if I didn't immediately get hired to work at least 20 hours a week then I get cut off food stamps. So, no more food for me. Under KY medicaid rules I would lose the medicaid as well, so I will lose the medications I need to survive. I will also no longer be able to obtain medication when I get another infection. I have auto-immune disease and get infections a lot. So, I would then have a choice to either die an extremely painful death naturally or to end it myself.

I have not been offered employment since 2009. If an employer was going to hire me, overlook all of my health problems, and keep me it would have happened by now. I first started job hunting when I was 16 years old. My good grades in school, despite my medical problems, prove that I work as hard as I physically can. No employer has ever hired me and been willing to keep me. So, what evidence is there for me to believe that one day it will magically happen? Only a seriously delusional person would believe in such magic.
I dont know you or the area where you live and of course there are always exceptions and those who slip between the cracks. Many people are homeless or unemployable due to mental/psychological issues or addictions and their situations are often a result of not accepting help or wont or cant follow thru with the requirements.

I'm not seeing a national epidemic of people who are homeless and not getting help when they actually seek out help and work to improve their situation.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:16 PM

1,261 posts, read 951,258 times
Quote:
I dont know you or the area where you live and of course there are always exceptions and those who slip between the cracks. Many people are homeless or unemployable due to mental/psychological issues or addictions and their situations are often a result of not accepting help or wont or cant follow thru with the requirements.

I'm not seeing a national epidemic of people who are homeless and not getting help when they actually seek out help and work to improve their situation.
Maybe you aren't seeing the epidemic because you aren't looking? And what is the difference if someone's health issues are physical or mental/psychological? Either way there may not be a medical solution that will transform them into an ideal employee.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:

There is help available around here for those who fit into certain categories. Around here they primarily help families with children, those with addictions, veterans (although they are closing some of those programs down), and criminals who they're trying to give a "second chance." I do not fit into any of the categories of people they are willing to help and have been turned down by all agencies. I have never even been arrested. I have never even tried illicit drugs. My daughter is long gone. And I have never been healthy enough to serve in the armed forces.

I don't get deep into the details of most homeless people around here for self-preservation. Some people are okay, but some will rob you and/or victimize you in other ways. Being a disabled woman I would have trouble defending myself if I picked the wrong one to socialize with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies